Skip directly to content

24 bit downloads

• 24 bit downloads
    November 9, 2013 - 3:02am

As a recent entrant into the world great music from the band, and living in the backward and sterile high definition music free UK, can anybody tell me where I can buy 24/96 downloads of the albums. This music deserves to be listened to in all of its' glory, not some limited MP3 format. New album great and enjoying the back catalogue as I can find it. Looking forward to seeing the guys in February 2014.

Steve Whorton's picture
on November 9, 2013 - 3:02am

As a recent entrant into the world great music from the band, and living in the backward and sterile high definition music free UK, can anybody tell me where I can buy 24/96 downloads of the albums. This music deserves to be listened to in all of its' glory, not some limited MP3 format. New album great and enjoying the back catalogue as I can find it. Looking forward to seeing the guys in February 2014.

Forum category: 
IronSean's picture

24/96 is useful in the studio because it allows more headroom to limit noise and prevent it from being a problem when many tracks are layered, and because it offers the highest resolution with which to apply digital effects to create a more realistic sound. However, for playback purposes the human ear receives no benefit since it can neither hear the additional higher frequencies, nor distinguish the enhanced dynamic range 24/96 provides. Surprisingly, CD quality 16/44.1 is mathematically perfect reproductions for our ears, and nothing more is required for playback and enjoyment.

In fact, attempting to playback 96 KHz on most audio systems will actually introduce distortion into the audible spectrum of the sound as it attempts to playback these inaudible frequencies. So many people are unknowingly giving themselves a worse listening experience by requesting 24/96 versions of songs.