Skip directly to content

ADTOE Album Artwork

• ADTOE Album Artwork
    September 13, 2011 - 6:41pm

Tthe new album rocks!! I love it, but I can't figure out how the guy on the unicycle fits in to it all?? Any ideas?

Echoes23's picture
on September 13, 2011 - 6:41pm

Tthe new album rocks!! I love it, but I can't figure out how the guy on the unicycle fits in to it all?? Any ideas?

Forum category: 
Daso's picture

Some more info on it, the tight rope is pointing at 9:12, which is, at the same time, 21:12 :p

Acid Rain Puppy's picture

[quote=dspurdy][quote=Eric_from_Annecy]HUgh syme also made artworks for a lot of Rush's album[/quote]

Not only did he do most of their covers, but he also added a lot to their music. He was responsible for the crazy "spacey" sounds at the beginning of 2112. I believe he has been a guest musician on other albums as well.[/quote]

On Rush's Permanent Waves album, Hugh Syme played piano on the track "Different Strings".
He is also the man waving in the background, on the album's cover.

Soulfire's picture

[quote=BrettCullen]When producing the album artwork, Hugh Syme was given the album's working title "Bridges In The Sky" to work off of. Then the band decided to change it to A Dramatic Turn of Events and then change "Shaman's Trance" to Bridges in the Sky.[/quote]

That's cool, I didn't know that. Who'd you find that out from?

dspurdy's picture

[quote=Eric_from_Annecy]HUgh syme also made artworks for a lot of Rush's album[/quote]

Not only did he do most of their covers, but he also added a lot to their music. He was responsible for the crazy "spacey" sounds at the beginning of 2112. I believe he has been a guest musician on other albums as well.

dspurdy's picture

I put Hugh Syme's work up there with Roger Dean (Yes, Asia, etc.) and Mark Wilkinson (Marillion, Iron Maiden, etc). I was fortunate to get one of the signed lithos in the BCSL Box set. It still needs to be framed properly and hung.

Eric_from_Annecy's picture

HUgh syme also made artworks for a lot of Rush's album

BrettCullen's picture

When producing the album artwork, Hugh Syme was given the album's working title "Bridges In The Sky" to work off of. Then the band decided to change it to A Dramatic Turn of Events and then change "Shaman's Trance" to Bridges in the Sky.

Sephiros's picture

A part of me looks at it like Mike Portnoy, as an entertainer trying to take on way too many tasks to the point it almost seemed silly. A balancing act on a rope about to snap. And the plane below is Dream Theater cruising on by doing what they do best and staying faithful to their "gift divine." I love Portnoy but I did feel a little betrayed when he left while on tour with Avenged Sevenfold, then seeing his attempt to rejoin the band after Avenged made it clear he would not be permanent.

It also seemed odd that in many interviews with Portnoy before the A7X tour he said he was excited to get back into the studio in January to start the next DT cd, then suddenly on tour with A7X he was "tired of the same ol' thing." Even A7X made a public statement after it was announced that Portnoy would not be joining the band (I think it was their manager) saying something along the lines of "Portnoy made it sound like he could be a possible permanent replacement in previous interviews but this was never the case."

I don't mean to kick up dust or anything, but when I see that clown on the rope on the cover that's what comes to mind...someone taking on way too much, on a rope about to snap.

Soulfire's picture

I think it's a shame they didn't work with Storm Thorgerson again.

Whilst I love Hugh Syme's work, some of my favourite art in the world comes from Storm Thorgerson. He just produces the most beautiful pieces of graphic design.

For those of you who don't know, he did Falling into Infinity and Once in a LIVEtime. Whilst those are probably some of his weaker works (IMO), he is responsible for most of Pink Floyd's album art, some of the better Mars Volta album art, and a few other gems. Look him up, seriously.

I still like the new album art though. It's great to see a metal album that isn't black lol.

FingerWiz's picture

I think it describes how high a human can get (above the sky - above the airplane), and how easily he can fall down (walking on a tearing rope). Therefore, A Dramatic Turn Of Events (from the top of the world, to beneath the surface :D).

Drex's picture

Think about how balanced and focused he must be on that rope! And the faith he must have in order to maintain balance with the odds seemingly stacked against him (rope fraying) as he travels the world....

TuscanCountess's picture

I was thinking about this today. I think it's kinda like...like he is so close to tragedy that if he falls off it will be a DRAMATIC TURN OF EVENTS lol