Skip directly to content

ADToE Lyrics

• ADToE Lyrics
    September 19, 2011 - 11:45am

Pretty sure I'm stating the obvious here, but, doesn't it seems like all of the lyrics on ADToE could have an angle of interpretation towards Mike leaving the band/not being in the band anymore?

Awake79's picture
on September 19, 2011 - 11:45am

Pretty sure I'm stating the obvious here, but, doesn't it seems like all of the lyrics on ADToE could have an angle of interpretation towards Mike leaving the band/not being in the band anymore?

Forum category: 
Hprog's picture

I for one thought so about "Beneath the Surface". It seems to me like it deals with the personal friendship between JP and MP. Maybe I'm wrong, but that was the impression I got. In any case, I think this album's lyrics are a huuuuuge improvement over JP's latest contributions. I love A Nightmare to Remember and The Count of Tuscany musically, but find those lyrics really poor.

octavarium41889's picture

im not gonna say it's certain that's what they are talking about but i see that being very likely..

i mean how couldn't you write a song about your drummer and close friend of 25 years who leaves your band?

Sephiros's picture

I didn't get any vibe from the songs about them pertaining to Mike's departure except "This is the Life." Instead of them focusing on the negative though it seems like they focused more on the positive with that song. This is the life we belong to (playing the best music ever) our gift divine. (the fans get to hear it) Like they stayed faithful to what they're good at without being tempted by mainstream garbage / business factors etc. "Some get lost in the maze and lose their way home" could refer to Portnoy or other musicians who sold out and regret not being able to return etc. Who knows... =\

Usually Dream Theater as of late has a "current events" song on each album that's based on things going on in the world or societies controlling things etc. Like The Great Debate, Sacrificed Sons, In the name of God, Prophets of War, Rite of Passage. "Outcry" was the new album's song based on what's goin' on. I've been thinking our country is long over due for a revolution. ;-)

But ya overall I don't get the vibe that very much of it was about Portnoy directly except maybe "this is the life."

SilentFury007's picture

Yeah I know this is out there, but as I was listening yesterday I wondered if it was possible that they wrote a song based on mikes reaction to them deciding to move on "feed off the machine" (a phrase mike has used on occasion). Just a thought.

Ad134's picture

To me, the only one that gives me the impression of being about MP is BMUBMD. The ungrateful fan reaction, from Mike's perspective...