Skip directly to content

Album vs. Live

• Album vs. Live
    October 9, 2011 - 6:16pm

I talked about this once a long time ago on the old forum, but was bored and looking for something to talk about; What are some songs that you like/dislike more on the album versions, versus the live versions. For me, a song like The Spirit Carries On, I think is waaaaaay better on LSFNY than on the album. The whol choir, the vibe, just way better than on the album. But, on the flip side, I think Home, specifically that opening chorus dropped d riff has way more kick behind it on the album than live. Thoughts on other tracks?

Awake79's picture
on October 9, 2011 - 6:16pm

I talked about this once a long time ago on the old forum, but was bored and looking for something to talk about; What are some songs that you like/dislike more on the album versions, versus the live versions. For me, a song like The Spirit Carries On, I think is waaaaaay better on LSFNY than on the album. The whol choir, the vibe, just way better than on the album. But, on the flip side, I think Home, specifically that opening chorus dropped d riff has way more kick behind it on the album than live. Thoughts on other tracks?

Forum category: 
Philba1966's picture

Having been cranking Score for the last week, I have a new appreciation for Octavarium as an album. It was definitely on the lower end of my favorites and got the low-end of my iPod plays, but it's climbing the charts.

SDoIT was excellent with the Octavarium Orchestra...enhanced, but the album version works for me better.

Sacrificed Sons and Octavarium were outstanding live...too close to call which I prefer, but leaning towards live. You know what they say about opinions: they're like diapers, they often stink and require changing regularly (or was that politicians?)!

Hérus's picture

I really like the live version of "Learning To Live" off the Lives Scenes From NY album. I just like the whole improvisational feel to the solos. But at the same time I like the studio versions of "Lines In the Sand" and "Trial of Tears" better, I think the solos came out better on the studio versions of those songs.

Soulfire's picture

I agree with your comments on Peruvian Skies and New Millenium. Definitely better on the DVDs. I lolled at "huge ass organ thingy". That sir, would be a Synthesisers.com Modular synth. That's what synthesisers used to look like when they were first made, and keyboardists usually only use them these days for either the badasserie or the great, authentic sounds they put out.

Crash_of_Doom's picture

The one that pops to mind is Peruvian Skies on OIALT. So much more powerful and played with feeling compared to FII. Love that rendition of the song. Having said that, i like the Sacrificed Sons and Octvarium live versions (Score) more as well. The instrumental part in SS is a tad faster and i like that more. In 8V Jordan uses that huge ass organ thingy and i love the sound of that when they go into the instrumental section.

Oh, love the Budokan versions of New Millenium and Trail of Tears as well. Compared to FII, they sound much more "airy" and not so dry.

Hprog's picture

I'm not a big fan of "Hollow Years", but I agree that its live version rocks. Not just the Budokan, but how they used to play it recently with the full lyrics, like it was intended to be. I also prefer live versions of any song off of WDADU over the studio versions, basically because of the sound.

Philba1966's picture

The thing that amazed me most about DT Live (having seen my first concert this year in Boston) is how so spot on they sound live when they want to. I found many of the songs they played, particularly the ADToE ones, were right in line with the album versions. I assume they needed to keep it close to original for MM to get up to speed quickly.

As for the Live albums vs. Studio, I prefer the live "A Mind Beside Itself" trio (Erotomania/Voices/The Silent Man) on LSFNY over the Awake versions, particularly The Silent Man. I just picked up Score, Budokan and Marquee last week, so I'll get back to you in a bit (I loved SDoIT on Score, but the studio version is slightly better!...it was impressive for sure).

Keysman's picture

[quote=lak89]Well, the first song that comes to mind is the Budokan version of Hollow Years for JP's extended solo, which beats the album version by far, they played it in Melbourne in 2009 and JP played a similar extended solo and it pretty much made my night, it's my girlfriend's favorite DT song too so it was definitely special seeing it live.

Another one would be Sacrificed Sons, I prefer the one on Score than the album version, the tempo was slightly faster and I felt it had more drive in it, also during the first chorus "Who would wish this on our people..." where JLB, JP and MP sing it together, that bit was sublime. Seeing it live in Melbourne was a treat as well.[/quote]

Yes I agree,Hollow years is much better live because of the extended solo.
It's like that on the official bootleg Making of FII as well.
The whole album as it was meant to be heard. :D

Kashmir75's picture

Hollow Years Budokan is better than the album version
Spirt... is better on LSFNY than on the studio album
Home is better on the album, IMO, than on LSFNY
A Nightmare to Remember is incredible live
The Silent Man I think is better in the Live Scenes concert

Obryn's picture

I agree with the live versions of [i]Hollow Years[/i] and [i]The Spirit Carries On[/i] transcending their album counterparts.

But I also have to mention the LSFNY version of [i]Through Her Eyes[/i] with the incredible Theresa T./JP intro and then the extended solo to send the song off right. This version truly made the song even more special. Plus, I love how MP walks around the stage while the programmed drums are playing and messes with JP while he's trying to strum! Hilarious...Then out of nowhere, there he is back behind his drums ready to come in and add some power to the end.

lak89's picture

^Actually I prefer the album version of Overture more, the orchestra didn't do so well on Score imo, there was also one noticeably out of tune violin. But I don't blame them, I think I heard from an interview somewhere that they only had one rehearsal with the orchestra before playing the Score concert, and it's amazing they pulled it off.

Soulfire's picture

Budokan Hollow Years is definitely the main one here. I also prefer the whole 46 minute song version of 6 degrees with the orchestra to the album version... especially the overture... its just not right with keys.

Another Won from Score also comes to mind.

lak89's picture

Well, the first song that comes to mind is the Budokan version of Hollow Years for JP's extended solo, which beats the album version by far, they played it in Melbourne in 2009 and JP played a similar extended solo and it pretty much made my night, it's my girlfriend's favorite DT song too so it was definitely special seeing it live.

Another one would be Sacrificed Sons, I prefer the one on Score than the album version, the tempo was slightly faster and I felt it had more drive in it, also during the first chorus "Who would wish this on our people..." where JLB, JP and MP sing it together, that bit was sublime. Seeing it live in Melbourne was a treat as well.