Skip directly to content

Anyone into Periphery?

• Anyone into Periphery?
    September 15, 2011 - 10:14am

I discovered this band about 6 months ago and they blew me away. Being a long time "fan" / fascinated by Meshuggah, their music is quite up my alley. Finding out they'll open up for DT @ Jan 25th here in Sweden made me have to change underwear.

If you haven't seen them yet: Icarus Lives ! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MfOnq-zXXBw (official video)

Lightweight's picture
on September 15, 2011 - 10:14am

I discovered this band about 6 months ago and they blew me away. Being a long time "fan" / fascinated by Meshuggah, their music is quite up my alley. Finding out they'll open up for DT @ Jan 25th here in Sweden made me have to change underwear.

If you haven't seen them yet: Icarus Lives ! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MfOnq-zXXBw (official video)

Forum category: 
spock84's picture

I like a lot of their stuff, but I was a bit disappointed with their sound warming up for DT the other day. The mix was [b]really[/b] muddy and the drums came through waaay too much and most of the time I almost couldn't hear the vocals, but I guess that wasn't entirely their own fault; they're probably playing with the same settings as DT and no proper soundcheck (?). It was fun to see them though. A lively bunch of dudes, for sure.

meusanus's picture

Yes and no - it was actually Roadrunner that suggested it, although John is a big supporter and really likes the band. I think they are amazing.

Lightweight's picture

[quote=Niels B]I was quite dissapointed reading Periphery will be opening for DT. I just can´t relate the bands to eachother. Ok, the may be great instrumentalists, but come on, that growling for 45 minutes... Maybe it makes me appreciate DT even more.[/quote]

I think one of the guitar players being JPs nephew had something to do with it tho :P It's not exactly the band I'd picture opening for DT. Periphery is freaking brutal but they've written some stuff that alot of people could probably bob their heads to.

Going to see them all @ Stockholm, Sweden on wednesday 25/1/12.

Niels B's picture

I was quite dissapointed reading Periphery will be opening for DT. I just can´t relate the bands to eachother. Ok, the may be great instrumentalists, but come on, that growling for 45 minutes... Maybe it makes me appreciate DT even more.

likeablecoffeeguy's picture

I saw them a while back when they opened up for DT in Albany. I wasn't impressed with the sound. Bulb is an awesome player tho.

Soulfire's picture

Metal growling vocals has deep rooted tradition from a couple of different styles: big shouts of "WOAAAAAAAAAOW" in classic rock (see Chuck berry, the outro to "Hey Jude", etc.), slurred gutteral vocals from the Delta Blues era, aggressive singing in hard rock of the 70's and 80's... shouting and warcrys originating in Scandinavia..., etc.

The technique itself is something very difficult to do; it's not just yelling as loud as you can, so in that aspect you can appreciate the talent there. As to why they do it, I guess its an energy thing. They want to bring across an aggressive energy in their music, so by screaming their vocals, that's one way of doing it.

In terms of not being able to understand what they're saying.... it doesn't really matter half the time. I just listen to that sort of stuff for the instrumental-ness, and usually they have some pretty badass choruses, whether they be clean or growled. Some of the best growling choruses I've heard are from Lamb of God and Parkway Drive, and they're done with growling.

In terms of Trivium, Matt Heafy (their vocalist/guitarist) is notorious for being incomprehensible though. I have heard growling which is far easier to interpret than his nonsense.

If you know their song "Pull Harder on the Strings of your Martyr" you'd know what i'm talking about. Just go on youtube and look up "Boat Rudder Strange Mountain". It's pretty funny :D

JanneDaArc's picture

I am liking the song Icarus Lives well enough. With that said, will someone please explain something to me?

The god-cursed cookie monster screaming that plagues so much modern metal. What in the hell is that about?

I realize we are going to move into a subjective arena here but for me personally, I do not have a clue what any of those yokels are saying, while it is difficult to a degree I'm sure to sustainably make that sound it does not appear to have a lick of musicality to it and it just sounds dumb.

I saw Trivium open for DT in Grand Prairie and they'd have been really, really cool but for all the "wrroooo, wrooaahhh, wooooore"

Soulfire's picture

I have had a bit of a listen on youtube and I really liked it. Haven't got the album yet because it's very hard to find...

JafTitan's picture

I'm new to the Periphery camp. I really dig them. Really soured that they are playing with DT over in Europe ( I live in Canada). That would have been such a stellar show. They are releasing 2 albums next year ( A concept album named "Juggernaut" and another album TBA), and I can't wait to get my hands on both!

What really attracts me to the band is Matt. As a drummer, his style really appeals to me, and his playing is fantastic. I hope to see them live someday and I have high hopes they will "make it big".

troyofyort's picture

I never was too big into periphery, however they did lead to my discovery of the orgasmic animals as leaders! ;)

eternal dreamer's picture

[quote=Kantele]@eternal dreamer: doesnt that sound a little condescending? It is not my case, but maybe you would be surpirsed that many other fellow forumers have wide musical tastes. Don't judge a priori.[/quote]

welp, several threads here about some well known bands on other forums most people had no idea about, and worse, most people didn't even care to even listen to those bands, I mean, maybe i'm wrong but that's how I discovered those bands, saw them in a thread and actually took the time to listen to them..

WovenDistortion's picture

I'm a big fan of 'em. Discovered them right before the first record came out. Super stoked to see them in Columbus, OH next Wednesday. I got the meet 'n greet package, so I hope they are super chill dudes!

Kantele's picture

@eternal dreamer: doesnt that sound a little condescending? It is not my case, but maybe you would be surpirsed that many other fellow forumers have wide musical tastes. Don't judge a priori.

eternal dreamer's picture

it wouldn't surprise me most forum members don't know a lot of good music, besides the "typical" prog rock or metal

and yeah, I specially loved the single with the house/dubstep remixes, now THAT'S what I call musical variety

gotta love the djent

Kantele's picture

Not for me....

I discovered Karmakanic a couple of weeks ago, and WOW! I'm more into melodic prog rock.

Lightweight's picture

No one? :O