Skip directly to content

Atlanta Review (Spoiler Alert!)

• Atlanta Review (Spoiler Alert!)
    October 20, 2011 - 2:58pm

What a show! I'd never seen Trivium, but I enjoyed their performance and they definitely got me pumped up to see DT. As others have said, the DT intro cartoon was comical and once the guys took the stage, the crowd exploded with anticipation. The guys were spot on last night. This is my fourth time seeing them and I think it was their best performance yet. Mike was incredible watching him on the drums, and you can tell what a super guy he is just by watching him play and interact with the rest of the band. He really looks like he is having a blast and it has seemed to re-energize the others. His drum kit is impressive, and he uses every bit of it including a great solo where I think he smiled almost the entire time. Not to take anything away from what MP contributed to the band for so many years, but I think MM will take DT in a new more positive-minded direction now (a welcome thing!).

The lighting and sound were phenomenal, just don't expect a rehashed 1980's metal/hard rock concert with exploding flash pots and fire. This is DT and the lighting is there to complement the music and the performers, not make up for any deficiencies therein.

As far as the set list, someone had posted last week or so that there appeared to be two rotating set lists that were largely similar. This held true with one AWESOME exception. Instead of The Great Debate, they played Outcry. Then, later in the show where Outcry had been played previously, we were treated to the incomparable Breaking all Illusions!

SET LIST:
    Bridges in the Sky
    These Walls
    Build Me Up, Break Me Down
    Endless Sacrifice*
    Drum Solo
    Ytse Jam
    The Silent Man
    Beneath the Surface
    Outcry
    On the Backs of Angels
    Forsaken
    Through My Words
    Fatal Tragedy
    Breaking all Illusions
    Encore
    Under a Glass Moon*

*two of my all time favorites...what a treat for me!

Hope this gets those of you that have not seen them yet excited about upcoming shows. And, thanks so much DT for a great performance. Keep up the good work!!

DTDT's picture
on October 20, 2011 - 2:58pm

What a show! I'd never seen Trivium, but I enjoyed their performance and they definitely got me pumped up to see DT. As others have said, the DT intro cartoon was comical and once the guys took the stage, the crowd exploded with anticipation. The guys were spot on last night. This is my fourth time seeing them and I think it was their best performance yet. Mike was incredible watching him on the drums, and you can tell what a super guy he is just by watching him play and interact with the rest of the band. He really looks like he is having a blast and it has seemed to re-energize the others. His drum kit is impressive, and he uses every bit of it including a great solo where I think he smiled almost the entire time. Not to take anything away from what MP contributed to the band for so many years, but I think MM will take DT in a new more positive-minded direction now (a welcome thing!).

The lighting and sound were phenomenal, just don't expect a rehashed 1980's metal/hard rock concert with exploding flash pots and fire. This is DT and the lighting is there to complement the music and the performers, not make up for any deficiencies therein.

As far as the set list, someone had posted last week or so that there appeared to be two rotating set lists that were largely similar. This held true with one AWESOME exception. Instead of The Great Debate, they played Outcry. Then, later in the show where Outcry had been played previously, we were treated to the incomparable Breaking all Illusions!

SET LIST:
Bridges in the Sky
These Walls
Build Me Up, Break Me Down
Endless Sacrifice*
Drum Solo
Ytse Jam
The Silent Man
Beneath the Surface
Outcry
On the Backs of Angels
Forsaken
Through My Words
Fatal Tragedy
Breaking all Illusions
Encore
Under a Glass Moon*

*two of my all time favorites...what a treat for me!

Hope this gets those of you that have not seen them yet excited about upcoming shows. And, thanks so much DT for a great performance. Keep up the good work!!

Forum category: 
Wolfpacker96's picture

[quote=Wolfpacker96]I thought the show was awesome as well. Took me a little while to get used to the sound in the balcony (a lot of reverb) and it was hard to discern the speed of Petrucci sometimes unless you listened very closely. LaBrie was spot on all night, much improvement over the last time I saw them in Atlanta about 9 years ago. Mangini was unreal, as well as the rest of the band. This isn't just a prog band, they're a rock band who has a blast playing. And I had a blast listening and watching. Thanks for one of the best concerts I've seen in my life. About all I've been listening to for the last month has been Dream Theater and I'm sure it will be the same for the next. I just can't get tired of the new album.

OK guys, how about your first trip to Charlotte next year after the European leg!! I'm sure my buds from Atlanta will make the trip up 85 as I made down.[/quote]

Make sure you put in the thread about them coming to your country/state North Carolina!

http://www.dreamtheater.net/board_posts/official-request-thread-for-dt-t...

Wolfpacker96's picture

I think Trivium played about 40 minutes. If you're in your seat by a quarter till 9 (assuming it starts at 8) you'll be fine. The tabernacle is pretty cool in that they have some bars with video screens of what is going on, so we just hung out at the bar downing beers until we saw Trivium go off stage.

viff's picture

Thanks for the review. Can't wait to see DT tomorrow in Dallas!

Question: what time did DT hit the stage? I might not be able to make it in time for Trivium but don't want to miss a second of DT ;)

Thanks!

litsand's picture

absolutely PHENOMENAL SHOW!!
the guys were on top of the game, Mangini is incredible!! I did the trip from Charlotte as well, if you guys read this,Charlotte will welcome you in 2012!! please make it happen. This city absolutely needs to see DREAM THEATER!!

Thanks for a unforgettable night at the Tabernacle, thanks John,John,Jordan,James and Mike!! good luck in Europe!!

Wolfpacker96's picture

I thought the show was awesome as well. Took me a little while to get used to the sound in the balcony (a lot of reverb) and it was hard to discern the speed of Petrucci sometimes unless you listened very closely. LaBrie was spot on all night, much improvement over the last time I saw them in Atlanta about 9 years ago. Mangini was unreal, as well as the rest of the band. This isn't just a prog band, they're a rock band who has a blast playing. And I had a blast listening and watching. Thanks for one of the best concerts I've seen in my life. About all I've been listening to for the last month has been Dream Theater and I'm sure it will be the same for the next. I just can't get tired of the new album.

OK guys, how about your first trip to Charlotte next year after the European leg!! I'm sure my buds from Atlanta will make the trip up 85 as I made down.

AngelBackDTF's picture

Can't add anything to what has been said, but the Mangini solo was ridiculous. We waited out by the tour bus and got autographs and pics with everyone but Myung. He came out first when there were about 100 people there. He looked exhausted and not well, so quite a few folks didn't press for pics. But by the time the rest of the band came out there were only about 30 or so and everyone got pics and autographs. Got to talk to JLB quite a bit, told him where he could find waffles and beer at 130 a.m. Amazing night, will post pics if I can figure out how.

zumacraig's picture

oh, and i've never sat through a drum solo. last night, i didn't even think about leaving my spot. the drums were incredible and compelling.

zumacraig's picture

my first show too. been prog head for years and now venturing into prog-metal. man, DT rock! so enjoyable, professional, and gracious. just a great time.

sdrumset24's picture

The show in Atlanta last night was my first Dream Theater show. I am now, forever a changed man. That was the most amazing display of musicianship and creativity I have ever seen! One of my best friends has been a DT fan for years and it just never fully clicked with me until last night. Thanks to my friend Mike for turning me on to DT.

Thanks to the guys for such an amazing show. I was inspired beyond what I can put into words. I now and from this point on am huge DT fan!

marillion2k's picture

The show was completely kick-ass. I was going to say 'as usual' but like the OP mentions, Mangini revitalized the band in such a manner that it's almost like watching a different band somewhat. Of course we all know this is THE DT but you know what I'm saying. Thanks DT for a job WELL done! Awesome set!

ZackZ86's picture

Indeed, they friggin rocked ass! Best DT show ive seen!