Skip directly to content

On The Backs Of Angels

• On The Backs Of Angels
    September 8, 2011 - 7:39pm

Ah, that new forum smell.

So, anyhow, good leadoff single. When I first heard it, I immediately felt that it was reminiscent of all the things I liked about FII's sound, with influences from DT's more recent, modern releases. My only gripe is, it's hard not to unhear The Lady Wore Black during the intro. Thoughts?

You know it had to be done...

bosk1's picture
on September 8, 2011 - 7:39pm

Ah, that new forum smell.

So, anyhow, good leadoff single. When I first heard it, I immediately felt that it was reminiscent of all the things I liked about FII's sound, with influences from DT's more recent, modern releases. My only gripe is, it's hard not to unhear The Lady Wore Black during the intro. Thoughts?

You know it had to be done...

Forum category: 
dongringo's picture

Love the song. Great album opener.

KVK's picture

Nice to see so many DTF members here already :)

OTBOA is very good song but I think it's not not very good single. I haven't heard the rest of the album but if this is their radio single, I am really excited!!!!!

The Silent Cody's picture

:) I haven't been listening to OTBOA since polish DT concert to not ruin my whole album experience, now I think that I forgot most of the OTBOA parts so I will enjoy it fully ;)

Fiery Winds's picture

[quote=bosk1]Ah, that new forum smell.

My only gripe is, it's hard not to unhear The Lady Wore Black during the intro. Thoughts?
[/quote]

That was the first thing I thought of during my first listen. Did anyone respond when I posted that on DTF? NO!! *pouty face*

bosk2's picture

I sure hope not.

bosk2's picture

[quote=bosk1]Ah, that new forum smell.

You know it had to be done...[/quote]
One of the best songs they've written in a good while.

Ad134's picture

I think it's more Peruvian Skies than Pull Me Under, but y'know...

I love it, and I think - for the first time in what must be almost 10 years now - DT sound like DT again.

dspurdy's picture

I love this song and I am taken back to the Octavarium vibe. This, to me, is the true DT sound that I have grown to know and love.

Alber's picture

Hi everyone,

I think, like some others above, that's one of the best singles in many years, and an excellent opening of the album, very progressive and less metal than past albums, as I LOVE, I can't wait to see it live.

BlackInk's picture

Hello Bosk, nice to see your here.

I think as many others that OTBoA is one of their strongest singles in many, many years. Perhaps my favorite one.

Aniland's picture

[quote=dspurdy]I never thought of it sounding like Lady Wore Black.....this is until now. Queensryche with MorphWiz. They do better at Queensryche than Queensryche does right now.[/quote]

Oh... wow.

Aniland's picture

bosk1 and I, both on the civilian level. :P

I really liked it when I first heard it, but man... that initial excitement wore off quicker than I had hoped. It's got a really exciting introduction though, one that is an absolute classic of theirs and it's what I hope will be a terrific sendoff to the rest of the CD. The vocals sound great, even if I think the melody is kinda lacking. Reminds me of "Trial of Tears" in a weird way, but I'm not a fan of that song much either.

YtseTimes's picture

Not to imply that it's a bad song, but I'm excited to hear that it was intended to be the "traditional" band sound and that the other songs will really be something with a newer vibe.

dspurdy's picture

I never thought of it sounding like Lady Wore Black.....this is until now. Queensryche with MorphWiz. They do better at Queensryche than Queensryche does right now.

Dream Team's picture

I love the fact that although it is a very solid song, it is supposedly the weakest of the album along with BMUBMD. This convinces me that I am going to enjoy this album immensely.

Another thing about OTBOA that I find amusing is that while it is a fairly safe song structure by DT's standards, it's an extremely complicated arrnagement for the vast majority of working bands out there. Very likable tune.

Mikeyd's picture

Ha same here. I would have probably waited if there were less songs on the new album, but there's still plenty of new material. I'm definitely excited to have 9 new DT songs.

SilentFury007's picture

Hmmm.... I don't get Pull Me Under from this song at all. Granted, I've only listened once, but I feel like it's been in my head ever since. Maybe I'm remembering wrong, but my first listen I was not blown away, nor did I get any of the "getting back to their roots" comments I was seeing. That doesn't mean I didn't like it, I just thought of it as more of the style they've done in their last couple albums.
Again, I could be remembering wrong. I only listened the one time because I was weak and had to give in. But then I felt guilty... :( I REALLY wanted to wait and not listen to anything until release day. Oh well!

Mikeyd's picture

Definitely a great way to give us a sample of the album. The song basically lets us know that DT has retained and improved upon the sound and style that makes them unique. I also love that it's the first song on the album. When I play the entire album for the first time it won't be broken up by material I've already heard. OTBoA is kind of like the appetizer : )

Also, rhythmically, structurally, and stylistically (guitarwise at least) it's Pull Me Under Part 2 which is a great way to let fans know they're going back to their roots while moving forward. Great song!