Skip directly to content

Been to a DT show?

• Been to a DT show?
    February 14, 2012 - 5:18am

I've only been to one, but it was a night to remember. My dad and I saw Dream Theater 7-29-09 when they were in Asheville, NC (like twenty miles from home!) on their Progressive Nation 2009 tour.

Scale the Summit was a discordant mess, Bigelf was unbearable and Zappa Plays Zappa just wasn't my cup of tea. But I was terribly impatient to see DT in all their progressive glory.

The lights were low, thunder played over the speakers, and they blasted onto the stage with A Nightmare to Remember. Constant Motion blew my mind (hearing it live was so much better than the version on Chaos in Motion 2007/2008), The Count of Tuscany was moving and the encore was Metropolis pt. 1: The Miracle and the Sleeper. Simply stunning.

Only quibble was the fact that they only played 2/3 of A Mind Beside Itself; The Silent Man was nowhere to be found. Oh, well. Other than that it was perfect.

dtfan44's picture
on February 14, 2012 - 5:18am

I've only been to one, but it was a night to remember. My dad and I saw Dream Theater 7-29-09 when they were in Asheville, NC (like twenty miles from home!) on their Progressive Nation 2009 tour.

Scale the Summit was a discordant mess, Bigelf was unbearable and Zappa Plays Zappa just wasn't my cup of tea. But I was terribly impatient to see DT in all their progressive glory.

The lights were low, thunder played over the speakers, and they blasted onto the stage with A Nightmare to Remember. Constant Motion blew my mind (hearing it live was so much better than the version on Chaos in Motion 2007/2008), The Count of Tuscany was moving and the encore was Metropolis pt. 1: The Miracle and the Sleeper. Simply stunning.

Only quibble was the fact that they only played 2/3 of A Mind Beside Itself; The Silent Man was nowhere to be found. Oh, well. Other than that it was perfect.

Forum category: 
JeffG94110's picture

My first show was the Paramount Theater in Oakland show on the first Progressive Nation Tour, and DT was (of course) incredible!

The show itself was another matter. By the time Opeth (whom I like) took the stage, all of the previous acts had worn through my tolerance for Growling-Devil-Voiced singers. All of the singers sounded like Satan speaking through the little girl in The Exorcist! Only a fantastic set by DT highlighted by "In the Presence of Enemies" redeemed the night!

The next time I saw them was also on a Progressive Nation Tour, but I did the Meet and Greet and had a wonderful show from beginning to end. Meeting the band was an incredible experience I will never forget. If you ever have a few extra bucks and can do it, run don't walk! I ended up missing on opening act (to meet DT--not much of a sacrifice), but I caught Zappa Plays Zappa, and that was amazing (even though I am not well versed in Frank Zappa's music).

Dream Theater's set was, again, absolutely brilliant, climaxing with "The Count of Tuscany!" That was the night I finally clicked with The Count, which has since become one of my very favorite songs (and my pick for 2009's Best Song).

I have also seen both of their Warfield shows on the Dramatic Tour of Event (last September and July 1, 2012), and both were, again, fantastic! Between the two shows, I got to see the whole new album (except "Far from Heaven" my least favorite song on ADToE), plus all kinds of DT classics!

The Warfield is also a great venue for seeing DT (or anyone else). I always get general admission, standing up front and never end up any further than 10 feet from the stage (on Jordan and John Myung's side last Sept. and on John Petrucci's side this July)! The fans are also among the most polite and friendly I have ever enjoyed a show with. Despite the fact that DT was playing some really hard, metal and the audience was bouncing up and down with the energy, I was only bumped into a very few times and received an apology for all 3 or 4 bumps that actually interupted the show for me. So, thanks also to my fellow DT fans out there for being a great bunch of people to rock out with.

I cannot imagine missing a Bay Area show now!

InfectiouslyPerverted's picture

[quote=dtfan44]I've only been to one, but it was a night to remember. My dad and I saw Dream Theater 7-29-09 when they were in Asheville, NC (like twenty miles from home!) on their Progressive Nation 2009 tour.

The lights were low, thunder played over the speakers, and they blasted onto the stage with [i]A Nightmare [/i][i]to Remember[/i]. [i]Constant Motion [/i]blew my mind (hearing it live was so much better than the version on [i]Chaos in Motion 2007/2008[/i]), [i]The Count of Tuscany [/i]was moving and the encore was [i]Metropolis pt. 1: The Miracle and the Sleeper[/i]. Simply stunning.

Only quibble was the fact that they only played 2/3 of [i]A Mind Beside Itself[/i]; [i]The Silent Man [/i]was nowhere to be found. Oh, well. Other than that it was perfect.[/quote]

I went to that show!!! I missed Scale of Summit on purpose, a talented bunch of kids but just not my kind of music. Bigelf was OK, and I've been getting into Zappa the past few years, so that's a little entertaining to me, but DT was the absolute real reason I was there!!

Just saw them in Atlantic City this past Sat.night, that was my 28th DT show. In fact, I was surprised that JP recognized me. He knew me 3 years ago when my brother and I went to a guitar store in MD to meet him and JM. Then I did VIP in AC and when I went up to get my picture taken with the guys, JP says "So I see you've come back for more!" I truly did not expect that. I mean it had been 3 years and I know he meets ALOT of fans and has so much going on, he's not going to remember l'il ole me!!! It was a nice little pick me up, I must say. And when it came time to talk to them at the table, JP couldn't have been nicer, as are all of them. Another reason to love these guys so much.

I think maybe the reason they all were such in a good mood is that this was the last show of the tour, and they were probably just happy to be able to go home and see their families!!! I can totally relate, my man is on the road alot and I only see him a few days a month.

Tapring's picture

I saw them twice on the FII tour, once on SFAM, and once this month for ADTOE.

The first show I went to, I was only 14. It was an 18+ show - I was only able to go because my drum teacher knew the owner of the club and pulled some strings for me. :) I was wearing an Awake t-shirt. I managed to squeeze up to the front row. JP saw me air-drumming an intricate part of Erotomania and nodded his head at me like, "YEAH!" and MP handed me a stick afterwards. That was a magical night.

This last show (15 years later!), my sister and I had a balcony to ourselves overhanging stage right. We went nuts, headbanging, singing every word, air drumming, air guitaring, and air keyboarding. LOL. We got a few looks, points and acknowledgments from JL, JP, and JR. What surprised us more was how afterwards people were approaching us, impressed with how well we knew the music, and how into it we were. People said they didn't know whether they should watch the show or the "balcony girls." :D

We plan on seeing them again next tour and doing the meet & greet. It's hard to have been a fan for 17 years and not telling them in person how much their music has meant to me. I've only met Jordan, and that was before SFAM even came out, so it wasn't really the same.

pleaseleavemealone's picture

I have never been to a DT show. It would be a dream come true if I could see them live. Meeting them would be the best...I have plenty of reasons for wanting just to shake their hand and tell them thanks for the inspiration.

comment's picture

1.) JP blew me away during the 2001 G3 tour with Satch and Vai. JP had MP on the drums and Dave Larue on bass; it was incredible! Satch and Vai were great too, but JP's performance was stellar. I started buying DT's music after that and they quickly became my favorite.
2.) The next year, DT toured with Satch. The bass sounds drowned out every bodies music. Probably because it was an outdoor pavillion.
3.) 2008's Progressive Nation Tour was the last time I had the opportunity to see them. They were indoors and rocked the house. Opening with the theme from 2001 a Space Odyssey readied the atmosphere for music that's light years ahead. They flowed right into In The Presence of My Enemies which was a favorite of mine off the new album. At the time, Misunderstood and Take Me As I Am were like anthems for me so I was grateful they played them. It was great, only Opeth didn't impress me.