Skip directly to content

Best DT recorded guitar solo?

• Best DT recorded guitar solo?
    March 2, 2012 - 8:58am

I think that ADTOE is DT's best cd yet. I love the guitar solo in Breaking All Illusions, 6:08 to 8:50, especially feeling the Santana vibe from 7:12 on. This got me to thinking, what was the best guitar solo and on what cd? For me it's easy. The first time I heard it I thought that if I ever learned just ONE thing to play on a guitar, it would be this. I imagine how cool it would be to walk into a music store, plug in a guitar to "test" and rip off this solo and then turn off the amp and return the guitar and just walk out. My favorite guitar solo is on Falling into Infinity, the song Lines in the Sand from 5:37 to 7:28. I don't play guitar so maybe it's hard or maybe it's easy, all I know is it moves me every single time I hear it. I can hear the emotion, don't need any words. Of course the great thing about JP, and everyone else in DT, is that they play with that level of skill and feeling every song. Anyway, would love to hear your take on the subject.

JeffAsIAm's picture
on March 2, 2012 - 8:58am

I think that ADTOE is DT's best cd yet. I love the guitar solo in Breaking All Illusions, 6:08 to 8:50, especially feeling the Santana vibe from 7:12 on. This got me to thinking, what was the best guitar solo and on what cd? For me it's easy. The first time I heard it I thought that if I ever learned just ONE thing to play on a guitar, it would be this. I imagine how cool it would be to walk into a music store, plug in a guitar to "test" and rip off this solo and then turn off the amp and return the guitar and just walk out. My favorite guitar solo is on Falling into Infinity, the song Lines in the Sand from 5:37 to 7:28. I don't play guitar so maybe it's hard or maybe it's easy, all I know is it moves me every single time I hear it. I can hear the emotion, don't need any words. Of course the great thing about JP, and everyone else in DT, is that they play with that level of skill and feeling every song. Anyway, would love to hear your take on the subject.

Forum category: 
RMDT-Fan's picture

Best of Times,
Under a Glass Moon,
Lines in the Sand,
Live ACOS(LSFNY) and Live Hollow Years (Budokan),
Breaking All Illusions.

No specific order. Tomorrow the list may differ.

duchifat's picture

the solo on Breaking all Illusions i think is the best. JP got two kind of solos, i love the ons when he really speaks to me, speaks to me about my pain

fb_kandjeng_nashir's picture

definitely from take the time,
the part after the phrase,
"Ora che ho perso la vista, ci vedo di più"

Chandler74's picture

I absolutely love the solo of "Best of Times" - John tells the story of the song again in his solo. Fantastic!!
Same with the solo in "Hollow Years" from the Budokan-record!!

SatchFan555's picture

LOVE THIS TOPIC!

Here are some of my favorites:

Under a Glass Moon - 3:56-5:30
Erotomania - Can't really pick just one part of this great song.
Lie - 3:51-4:22; 4:47-6:34
Scarred - The intro solo(0:25-1:06)cemented DT's status as my favorite band.
Beyond This Life - 7:10-8:18,9:05-10:06
Goodnight Kiss - 3:14-6:18, brings tears to my eyes and leaves my speechless every time I hear it. [b]AMAZING[/b]
In The Name Of God - 7:34-11:00
Sacrificed Sons - 5:47-7:50
Octavarium - 21:26-23:09
Forsaken - 3:37-4:06
Constant Motion - 3:52-5:10
The Ministry of Lost Souls - 9:27-9:57,12:44-14:57
A Nightmare to Remember - 9:33-10:00
The Best of Times - 9:59-13:08, IMHO it ties with Goodnight Kiss as the finest moment in music history.[b]STUNNING[/b]
The Count of Tuscany - 17:00-17:31
Lost Not Forgotten - 1:43-2:31,7:09-8:08
Outcry - 5:39-6:24, [b]SO FREAKING SICK[/b]
Breaking All Illusions - 7:11-8:54, at first I thought this was some Pink Floyd someone had found on the cutting room floor.

Bluefish's picture

Wow! There are so many great solos and my favorites will be different depending on when you ask me. The ones that come to mind at the moment, in no particular order, are About to Crash, This Dying Soul and Lie.

Rodni Demental's picture

Let's be honest, all of John's solos are either amazing or very impressive.

But one thing that always get's me is the sweeping in a couple of solos.

The "Voices" Guitar Solo really stands out for this, I love the way it builds.
And "Beyond this Life" has some badass sweeps in some interesting scales aswell.

There's definitely some more of these but I can't pinpoint which songs they're from right now. Haha

DexterTheater's picture

Tough one.
I guess my top 3 is:
Stream of Conciusness solo
Under a glass moon solo
Breaking All Illusions

Marshalucci's picture

Inevitable Summer solo on Live Scenes from New York 2000. :)

Vitor_Passos_'s picture

There're many ones, but from the most recent albums I'd pick the solo of Rite of Passage, best guitar solo of 2009 for sure!

\,,/Drummerboy\,,/'s picture

yeah i would i have to say the solo from spirit carries on is one of my favourites. or at the end of goodnight kiss (6 degrees)

Constant motion2345's picture

i,d say this was a great topic to choose.i would pick the gutiar solo passage from dark eternal night is my favorite gutiar solo from dt

JeffAsIAm's picture

@comment: hit me up at jeffsoderberg@comcast.net when you have a second. I want to talk about something off board so as to not unleash hell. thanks.

comment's picture

Dude I just deleted a post I made similar to this one. Not trying to step on toes, I didn't see this earlier. That's the second time I was on the same wave length with a DT fan in this forum in the last 48 hours.

I really like all the guitar work and the prog on Outcry. BAI is a masterpiece especially that solo you listed.
[b]
The whole guitar in Score's live version of When The Spirit Carries On, but specifically 5:47-7:18. [/b]

And that Lines In the Sand solo was awesome, thanks for posting that.