Skip directly to content

Best guitar solo by JP according to you?

• Best guitar solo by JP according to you?
    April 12, 2013 - 6:21pm

To me, and after pondering extensively on the subjetc, I'd have to go with the solo on The ministry of lost souls. Damnit, I just believe it's an amazing one!!!
    What about you?

Jorge Armando's picture
on April 12, 2013 - 6:21pm

To me, and after pondering extensively on the subjetc, I'd have to go with the solo on The ministry of lost souls. Damnit, I just believe it's an amazing one!!!
What about you?

Forum category: 
Thatguyjohnepps's picture

@Jorge Armando: haha thanks. I can tell you're a very dedicated and deep dt fan.

Jorge Armando's picture

@Thatguyjohnepps: I was actually thinking what a great solo this is, last night, while listening to ADTOE. I couldn't really describe it and, there, you just did. Amazing solo indeed. Thanks for sharing mate!!!

Thatguyjohnepps's picture

Personally from a guitarist standpoint (I've learned just about every solo from scenes to adtoe)

Personally, and this is just my opinion, breaking all illusions is HANDS DOWN his best solo.

It's got the soul, it's got the grove, it's got the complicated melodies, it's got that face melting shredding, it has all the feels, it has the build up, it has the effects. It's just a god damn solid solo. Every aspect of what makes John petrucci himself, is in this solo. It's the octavarium of his solos. It describes every thing about his talents, and then some.

Phrygian Sunshine's picture

@Jorge Armando: Wow is right! I didn't see the vid with Rod Morgenstein before. A while ago, I played in a band with a drummer who studied with Rod. Got to speak to him a few times. He was a nice and enthusiastic a person as I've ever met. Steven Wilson's vocals on Tarkus really ice the cake. Now I have to thank you for the tip! Cheers!!!

Jorge Armando's picture

@Phrygian Sunshine: Jordan Rudess & Rod Morgenstein. Just watched it. One word. Wow. Thanks for the tip mate!!!

@Jorge Armando: The Tarkus vid is the second item under the News link. I'm excited to see the live dvd as well. The extra footage looks cool. Soon...

Jorge Armando's picture

@Lazlow Jonathan Panaflex: Hey Lazlow, I agree completely. It is also a great solo. Hard to pick just one eh?
I'm also looking forward to buying that deluxe Bluray+cd's edition. You're right though, no pre-ordering, no new news. Doesn't look good. Hopefully we're wrong ;)

Jorge Armando's picture

@Phrygian Sunshine: Haven't seen it, I'm gonna look it up though. Sounds great.
Also, I really hope they release this dvd next month. Damnit, they've been teasing us for 3 months now.

Lazlow Panaflex's picture

I'd have to go with the solo from "Under A Glass Moon" for the title of best JP solo. It's just such an interesting, from a guitarists standpoint at least.

Also, indeed it is far to close to the May release date for the Live At Luna Park DVD/Bluray for there to be no pre-order service available to us!

I for one really want the Deluxe Bluray + 3DVD edition. Roll on May......

@Jorge Armando: Ah yes. I'm looking forward to seeing it. Speaking of vids, did you check out the one of Jordan doing Tarkus? Awesome ELP piece. Good stuff there.

Jorge Armando's picture

@Phrygian Sunshine: Well, they said May. They didn't give the exact date, though. Anyway, it's getting closer!!!

@Jorge Armando: Do you know the release date on the vid?

Jorge Armando's picture

@Phrygian Sunshine: Everything's great my friend. Waiting for that dvd in Buenos Aires, ha.

@Jorge Armando: Hi Jorge! Great hearing from you again too. Hope everything's going good.

Jorge Armando's picture

@Phrygian Sunshine: Nice reading you again!!! I know what you mean with that Count of Tuscany's bit. Sure it's great too. Greetings!!!

I don't know if you'd consider this to be a "guitar solo" per se, but I really love the part in "Count of Tuscany" with the volume swells and the delay effect. The way that it leads into the acoustic part is marvelous and the whole outro of the song is beautiful. Very moving...