Skip directly to content

Best Live Album(s)

• Best Live Album(s)
    September 27, 2012 - 4:41am

I've been thinking about dream theater's live albums lately and which one would be considered the best. For me, Once in a LIVEtime seems to be doing it for me. There are three solo's in there, they play sections of some songs, incorperate covers into their songs and some of the songs flow from one to another making me want to listen to the whole thing in order.
    Live at Budokan is great but I had trouble with the mixing. Myung, I love you but the bass was just way too loud and I couldn't hear Labrie or Petrucci. But I Love to death that version of Beyond this Life and Instrumedly.
    Score would be another top for me. The first disc I love all the songs. They have songs that haven't been released before (except the official bootlegs) and they played at least one song from each album up to Octavarium.... and Octavarium sounds amazing with an orchestra behind it. so does SDoIT. The second disc kinda has to more slower songs like The Answer Lies Within and Vacant. but it picks up again in disc 3
    I haven't heard Chaos in Motion or Live at Marquee yet so i have no opinion on them. tell me your thoughts.

Ytsejam58's picture
on September 27, 2012 - 4:41am

I've been thinking about dream theater's live albums lately and which one would be considered the best. For me, Once in a LIVEtime seems to be doing it for me. There are three solo's in there, they play sections of some songs, incorperate covers into their songs and some of the songs flow from one to another making me want to listen to the whole thing in order.
Live at Budokan is great but I had trouble with the mixing. Myung, I love you but the bass was just way too loud and I couldn't hear Labrie or Petrucci. But I Love to death that version of Beyond this Life and Instrumedly.
Score would be another top for me. The first disc I love all the songs. They have songs that haven't been released before (except the official bootlegs) and they played at least one song from each album up to Octavarium.... and Octavarium sounds amazing with an orchestra behind it. so does SDoIT. The second disc kinda has to more slower songs like The Answer Lies Within and Vacant. but it picks up again in disc 3
I haven't heard Chaos in Motion or Live at Marquee yet so i have no opinion on them. tell me your thoughts.

Forum category: 
Rodni Demental's picture

Live at Marquee has actually got some of the more impressive vocal work from James before he "broke" his voice in the Awake tour. It also has Labrie at the top of his game singing some When Dream and Day Unite stuff which is interesting considering When Dream and Day Reunite was cool and all but had similar mixing to Chaos in Motion which some people aren't too fond of.