Skip directly to content

Chicago show

• Chicago show
    October 3, 2011 - 10:05am

Fantastic! By far the best DT show I've seen.

Jlencki's picture
on October 3, 2011 - 10:05am

Fantastic! By far the best DT show I've seen.

Forum category: 
gibson_DT's picture

I agree with all the other posts above. An absolutely great concert. I was worried that the crowd will not be that much into the show and I'll be the only one standing in the middle of the floor, to my suprise everybody was standing and rocking it out. All the guys sounded great. MM's drum solo was fantastic too. As far as the photography goes, I'm definitely 100% sure it is Rosemont Theater's policy. I saw couple other concerts there and they enforced that same rule.

SHERNI's picture

My son and I were in the 5th row when they came down. She was really into the music and words so I believe she was a true fan but "liquid courage" took over for sure. I thought we were going to see some of her "assets" at some point. I was amazed at the guy in the second row with the fedora. He was completely into the show from start to finish. I have never had that much energy, sober or drunk.

Great show and if anyone has a good quality picture please let me know.

DTTim's picture

[quote=YamahaSynth]I agree with all of these posts; the energy and crowd response was just incredible last night. I was hoping they would play "Take the Time" but the addition of "Wait for Sleep" and "Pull me Under" as the encore TOTALLY made up for it. I am curious, though, as James alluded that (now tomorrow) 'Awake' turns 17, if they will play the entire album at the Pittsburgh show. Regardless, I know there are plenty of people on here reading these concert reviews on the edge debating whether to get tickets for an upcoming show. Buy them, and get one for a friend; its an experience you will not want to let pass you by.

JLB: "What? What do you want to say?...You better not pummel me....'Thor' over here..." (points at JP) :D

Cheers,

_y-

P.S. Did anyone else get pissed at the stupid b**ch trying to run into the orchestra pit, then later throwing her rum and coke across the entire front row of people at the end?? This is a Dream Theater concert, not a DethKlok concert...have some class.
[/quote]

She and her man were behnd me for much of the night.....nice people before and during most of the show but eventually the booze took over and she became quite belligerent. I moved up a few rows near them content not getting into the pit just being a few rows closer, but when the drink flew I bolted, no need for a perfect show being ruined by being the wrong place at the wrong time, and being considered guilty by association.

YamahaSynth's picture

I agree with all of these posts; the energy and crowd response was just incredible last night. I was hoping they would play "Take the Time" but the addition of "Wait for Sleep" and "Pull me Under" as the encore TOTALLY made up for it. I am curious, though, as James alluded that (now tomorrow) 'Awake' turns 17, if they will play the entire album at the Pittsburgh show. Regardless, I know there are plenty of people on here reading these concert reviews on the edge debating whether to get tickets for an upcoming show. Buy them, and get one for a friend; its an experience you will not want to let pass you by.

JLB: "What? What do you want to say?...You better not pummel me....'Thor' over here..." (points at JP) :D

Cheers,

_y-

P.S. Did anyone else get pissed at the stupid b**ch trying to run into the orchestra pit, then later throwing her rum and coke across the entire front row of people at the end?? This is a Dream Theater concert, not a DethKlok concert...have some class.

TheVoid777's picture

Outstanding show!! The whole band felt fresh and energetic, the songs were perfect (as usual), and they had such a cool vibe, I really didn't want the evening to end. My two teenage boys came with me this time for their FIRST DT concert, and they were blown away. We hung out around back for a couple hours and were rewarded with pictures and signatures from JR, JL, JM, and JP!! MM somehow slipped out fast - it seemed he darted off stage as soon as the show was over, so he must have had someone to meet. STILL!!! 4/5 of the band spent time outside with the fans AFTER poring a TERRIFIC amount of energy from the stage. They're such cool guys. We were really honored when they came out.

To everyone waiting to see this tour: you will NOT be disappointed!! It is a great show !!

(And finally: Rosemont Theater is a beautiful venue, but the rules regarding the cell phones was definitely unfortunate. I really hope that was a venue rule and not the band's.)

-Void

DTTim's picture

I was very sad when one of my best friends had to cancel the night before and we had no tickets, and it looked like I would miss the show, but at 3pm yesterday my wife saw how bummed I was and handed me an 11th row ticket and said "go have a good time tonight"

I will agree with the above posts, out of the 15 times I've seen DT, this edged out my top 2 shows into the number 1 spot. The band had this born again energy and we've got something to prove like hunger I haven't seen since Images and Words and Awake tours.

I loved the set list but I loved even more that they did away with some of the long extended improve solos and jamming they've done the past few tours and just tried to cram as much DT into 2 hours as they could.

Does anyone know if the STRICT NO PHOTOGRAPHY polices were set by the band or by the Rosemont Theater. Security didnt miss a beat last night when it came to spotting a smart phone being held at eye level. Having had season tickets to one of the tenants at the nearby Allstate Arena, I've learned that when Rosemont Public safely tells you to do something you listen, so I just snapped a few pics of the stage before and after the show for my own memories!

I'm still glowing and its almost 20 hours later!

2112.snowdog's picture

Like many here, I've seen DT many times. I can only add to those who have already said - they looked more energetic and "into" their show than I ever recall seeing.

The musicianship was the "usual" quality - that is, fantastic. It was the stage presence from *everyone* that was the real treat of this show.

Seeing JM moving around the stage and engaging the other guys was pure gold! (My only complaint is that I always have a hard time picking the Bass out in the mix - COME ON SOUND GUYS - JM is a bass ninja, but that doesn't mean he should be in stealth mode -- give him a few more db's!)

Can't be said enough - Fantastic! Awesome!

Also - can't agree any more with the others here: Mangini not only fills MP's shoes, I can almost hear him saying "can I get these in a larger size?"

FANTASTIC!!!

Squidmon's picture

Last nite was my 15th show or so and definately ranks in the top 3 if not at the top. They played with so much energy! Just a tad loud for the house but the mix was excellent overall (JR was just a hair too low). JLB was spot on and has never sounded better. Mangini is just a beast and is probably the only one who could step into Portnoy's shoes, I loved the reception the crowd gave him. That being said, the crowd was as enthusiastic as I've seen in several tours.
JP and JM,...what else can be said. Great job guys!!

Frank is Awake's picture

I agree here!

Dream Theater with special guests Trivium at the Rosemont Theater in Rosemont Illinois.

Great show! Trivium sounds better than ever live! Gotta see them again!

DT was fantastic with this highly anticipated show! Mangini was very powerful and was a show by himself to see! Although he is a great asset to the band, I cannot wait for Portnoy to return in the near future. I was impressed with the stage and lighting effects. They outdid themselves! Sound was really good as well. Crisp and loud! (JM Bass could of been louder.) Crowd was smaller than expected, and not one person sitting!

I give the show 4.5 out of 5 stars. 1/2 a point for not enough older stuff like "The Mirror" or "The Glass Prison".
(Please post opinions and feedback here at the board.)

I did see the set lists, wasn't a spoiler for me. I was very impressed again with the show. DT never disappoints!

8th time seeing them. The 1st time was in 2000 with special guests Spocks Beard.

yogi's picture

I am going to see Dream Theatre for the first time ever in Grand Prarie,TX on October 27. I cant wait to see em. I love the new album and I am real glad they are playing so many songs from it.

From the looks of things this is the last show of their US portion of the tour. What are the odds that they may switch it some for their last US show? I would love to hear Sacrificed Sons. Any chance? Cant wait to see em!!

jimmylikes's picture

Seen DT 20 times or so in many cities.......Last night's show was by far the best!! Labrie's vocals were so awesome! Looking forward to seeing them in the Spring.

rinoRotti's picture

By reading this, I'm getting really, really excited for their show in the Netherlands! Glad you enjoyed the show!

SHERNI's picture

First off, 5th show going back to Images and Words, and this was the top show I have ever seen. The energy from the guys was unreal and I even saw some real emotion from John Myoung. Unreal set-list. We had list #2 from other thread and it was as could be expected. I like that they are playing the songs as songs and not as one transition to another. Almost felt like a greatest hits show!! For those going to shows soon, this is not the sit back and enjoy the musicianship type of vibe. They came out and rocked it!! Very powerful and tight. MM's drum kit and solo was way beyond what I thought it would be. Have fun going and if you haven't bought a ticket yet, be sure to go!!