Skip directly to content

Concert question

• Concert question
    October 13, 2011 - 3:26pm

I am taking my 11 year old daughter to the Dream Theatre concert in Grand Prarie,TX. It will be the first time for both of us to see Dream Theatre. She is as excited about this concert as I am. We have been listening non stop to A Dramatic Turn Of Events plus other Dream Theatre CD's for the last 3 weeks.

Here are my questions: Does the warm up band start at 8pm or do they come out later? How long do they play? What time does Dream Theatre usually take the stage? How long do they play? Any chance they will play Sacrificed Sons? It is both of our favorite Dream Theatre song.

Anyway we are excited. It is a 3 hour drive to Grand Prarie and it is a school night. They can play all night and we will be there for every note of every song. I am just a little curious about what time in the am we will get home.

yogi's picture
on October 13, 2011 - 3:26pm

I am taking my 11 year old daughter to the Dream Theatre concert in Grand Prarie,TX. It will be the first time for both of us to see Dream Theatre. She is as excited about this concert as I am. We have been listening non stop to A Dramatic Turn Of Events plus other Dream Theatre CD's for the last 3 weeks.

Here are my questions: Does the warm up band start at 8pm or do they come out later? How long do they play? What time does Dream Theatre usually take the stage? How long do they play? Any chance they will play Sacrificed Sons? It is both of our favorite Dream Theatre song.

Anyway we are excited. It is a 3 hour drive to Grand Prarie and it is a school night. They can play all night and we will be there for every note of every song. I am just a little curious about what time in the am we will get home.

Forum category: 
Obryn's picture

I'll see you at the show tonight Yogi! It will also be my first DT show and I am pumped...Right now I'm playing "Beyond this Life" on my acoustic guitar...can't wait!

As far as Trivium is concerned...I got their new CD to give them a shot. Although the growling vocals can be annoying at times, I would be no means describe them as a overly profane band. And actually, the melodic hooks for some of their songs are actually pretty catchy. They are by no means DT, but I'm looking forward to seeing what they can do live as well. Should your 11 y/o daughter see them? I wouldn't think it would be much of a problem since most of the curse words are unintelligible given the growl/roaring vocals. She's just gonna have to wear ear-plugs because people that aren't into thrash will probably get a headache without them. Nonetheless, they shouldn't be on too long. Use the time to go buy DT merch if you have to!

Cheers.

Kindred's picture

I'll be there too and I am just as excited. I think that is so awesome you are bringing your daughter to witness the greatest band that ever was. My girlfriend will be attending as well and its her first dt show, except for when they opened for Maiden. I dont count that though because it was such a short stripped down set. 30 min for DT? That is an insult.

yogi's picture

2 hours before we leave for Grand Prairie, Tx. It's raing like crazy, but who cares!! We are pumped for this show.

Can'T wait!!!!!

N.A.D.S.'s picture

[quote=Soulfire]Would definitely reccomend the ear plugs. And would definitely not reccomend Trivium to an 11 year old girl. I think some of the comments here so far are pretty harsh... they're not a bad band... but yes their lyrical content can be a bit more profane than some DT fans may prefer. I still like them tho :)[/quote]

I thought they were good too. They sound like the kind of stuff James did on his last solo album.

Soulfire's picture

Would definitely reccomend the ear plugs. And would definitely not reccomend Trivium to an 11 year old girl. I think some of the comments here so far are pretty harsh... they're not a bad band... but yes their lyrical content can be a bit more profane than some DT fans may prefer. I still like them tho :)

yogi's picture

Thanks for the info. We are counting the days down until Oct. 27. Listened to 'Train Of Thought' along with 'A Dramatic Turn Of Events' last night while driving on our way to & from JV football last night.

ThatVaiGuy's picture

Skip Trivium for her sakes at all costs. They are a nasty profanity stricken thrash metal band. You know, the kind that thinks people actually want to hear Gwar-esque vocals.

ThatVaiGuy's picture

"Some" F-Bombs?! That band was an absolute disgrace. They almost ruined the night for me. CAN... ...NOT believe they opened for DT. Luckily DT being the wholesome family somewhat friendly band they are, they really turned that around with grace and dignity. Some of us Choose to live gracefully, and some of us feel the need to be excessively and unnecessarily profane.

N.A.D.S.'s picture

[quote=johncal]GET HER SOME EAR PLUGS. She's young so don't let her ears get damaged. She'll still have a great time.[/quote]

Yes! It's LOUD!

johncal's picture

GET HER SOME EAR PLUGS. She's young so don't let her ears get damaged. She'll still have a great time.

N.A.D.S.'s picture

[quote=yogi]

.[/quote]

In Toronto, Trivium came on pretty much dead on 8 PM. They went till around 8:30 (IIRC). DT came on at 9. Can't recall when they finished. After 10:45 I think.

Just a warning for your daughter, the lead singer of Trivium let go some F bombs.

Andreas Cambrand's picture

As I'm from Sweden I'm still eagerly awaiting the show in Stockholm which means I haven't been to any "A Dramatic Tour Of Events" concert yet. I don't know when Trivium usually enters the stage but I know that their setlist suggests that they're on stage for about 45 minutes or so. I wouldn't expect DT to walk on stage until somewhere between 9.30 PM and 10 PM.

Dream Theater are alternating between two setlists more or less, they recently made some modifications to them but they're still alternating between two specific setlists. Judging by the setlists a 2 hour gig is to be expected. Oh, and I'm sorry to have to tell you but don't hold your breath waiting for "Sacrificed Sons" to be played, it's not on any of the two setlists.

If it's your favorite song I'd suggest that you buy the "Score" live DVD as it's played in the end, right before "Octavarium". It's an amazing concert.