Skip directly to content

Dear Mr. Mangini

• Dear Mr. Mangini
    September 15, 2011 - 4:14am

Dear Mr. Mangini,
    Dream Theater has been providing the sound track for my life for over two decades now and I want to thank you for stepping in to continue that sound track. You must understand that I have listened to every chord, note, beat, pause, lyric, and harmonic of the entire body of work from this band for years, without tiring of it. I don't just know the music, it has become a part of me, echoing in my head when there are no speakers to amplify the music.

When I read that Mr. Portnoy was leaving the band I was shattered. The music stopped, and I like many of the fans from which I have read posts from, felt the same. I felt lost and afraid of the unknown future for this part of my life that I enjoy so much. But you stepped in, masterfully, to provide the continuation of the music that has shaped so much of my life. I cannot tell you the absolute relief I felt when I listen to your words saying "This is not just a gig to me", because it is not just a band to me.

I implore you to bring all of your creative spirit to pour in to the music. Let us know you for the music you bring to us from within. But please more than anything else I can say here, let me personally welcome you to the family, that is this band and the fans.

Great job on "A Dramatic Turn of Events" and see you in Chicago very soon.

Thank You

DecadesOfTheater's picture
on September 15, 2011 - 4:14am

Dear Mr. Mangini,
Dream Theater has been providing the sound track for my life for over two decades now and I want to thank you for stepping in to continue that sound track. You must understand that I have listened to every chord, note, beat, pause, lyric, and harmonic of the entire body of work from this band for years, without tiring of it. I don't just know the music, it has become a part of me, echoing in my head when there are no speakers to amplify the music.

When I read that Mr. Portnoy was leaving the band I was shattered. The music stopped, and I like many of the fans from which I have read posts from, felt the same. I felt lost and afraid of the unknown future for this part of my life that I enjoy so much. But you stepped in, masterfully, to provide the continuation of the music that has shaped so much of my life. I cannot tell you the absolute relief I felt when I listen to your words saying "This is not just a gig to me", because it is not just a band to me.

I implore you to bring all of your creative spirit to pour in to the music. Let us know you for the music you bring to us from within. But please more than anything else I can say here, let me personally welcome you to the family, that is this band and the fans.

Thank You

Forum category: 
harrishauling's picture

I saw the first u.s. show in sanfransico ca.it was mind blowing.mike did a great job.I am also a semi pro guitarist.people leave and that's the way if it.my band had been Toghter for 12the years and we are on our 3rd bass player. Its not easy but we've kept the dream alive and our fans are happy.in time tho we will go our own ways.d.t. will be no different.until then rock on!

Keysman's picture

Great post!!
Now wouldnt it be soo coool for MM to come on here and read that and say hi. :D

Jedizen07's picture

Ditto. Welcome aboard Mr. Mangini. Job well done guys!
:)

Hprog's picture

I think everyone has expressed what I wanted to say, yet I'll say it.

Mike Mangini is not only an exceptional drummer, but THE MAN for this job! His reaction when getting the phone call was genuine. The guy's a drummer, not an actor! So those tears we saw from him are real. And ever since he has worked his ass off to provide us fans with amazing performances, respecting what MP did but with his own personal flavor here and there.

The other thing about him is his amazing vibe. You can feel it when you see the band live now, how harmoniously they interact with each other and how much positiveness does MM exude. I saw them in July and I can't wait to see them again. I love ADTOE and only want the band to continue doing this amazing music in such a positive environment.

northy's picture

Good meaningful post. And to adapt an old English phrase. The king (Mike Portnoy) has gone!!.........LONG LIVE THE KING !!. (Mike Mangini). And i do think the band are better for the change.

Scorpa65's picture

[quote=KirksNoseHair]This band is rejuvenated and it's largely due to Mike Mangini's masterful performance on the latest album, but I also, honestly, believe that Portnoy was dragging Dream Theater in the wrong direction. The new album, imho, proves it. This is a band that has found their wheelhouse again and released the best album they've created in a decade. I cannot wait to see them live in a few weeks, and frankly, it's the first time I've had any interest in seeing Dream Theater in a live setting in over 5 years.

[/quote]I was there too. I was directly under you. It was a great show. I've seen them 2 times with MP. And this was better than the other 2 times. First off i caught them as MP was loosing intrest in the band. Systematic chaos was when MP was starting to feel it was stale. That was the first time. Tho the show was great it lacked. This time it had luster. I agree go see them.

JinovaDTF's picture

[quote=TuscanCountess]This is so genuine and touching! No one brings people together like DT![/quote]

I agree, I think DT have the best fans! Music is the universal language and DT speak it VERY well.

tmetallo's picture

Thanks for putting into words exactly what I was feeling.

DTJWB's picture

All of you who have not seen the new rendition or whatever you wanna call it, just got home from Seattle...GO SEE THIS TOUR!! Mike is a perfect addition, loved it all and loved not only his enthusiasm but his engagement with the other guys. All the words that DecadesOfTheater said in his original post, I would agree with, and I did have a tear in my eye as I read it...It was really cool to see Mike and all the others "happy" as they were kicking ass; John, John and Jordan! Just a completely different feel...We waited in line for 3 hours since they moved the concert from a big concrete slab in front of the stage (showbox sodo) to a real theater (Moore) and there was no guarantee of seats. We were there early enough and were front row center in the balcony it was THE BEST! 2.5 hours of pure prog enjoyment. I even gave Mike a salute and a heartbeat at the end and he gave it right back to me. Took two DT newbies with me and they both were so impressed the show. I am heading for Vancouver in the morning will give you round #2 Thursday or Friday....

KirksNoseHair_2's picture

This band is rejuvenated and it's largely due to Mike Mangini's masterful performance on the latest album, but I also, honestly, believe that Portnoy was dragging Dream Theater in the wrong direction. The new album, imho, proves it. This is a band that has found their wheelhouse again and released the best album they've created in a decade. I cannot wait to see them live in a few weeks, and frankly, it's the first time I've had any interest in seeing Dream Theater in a live setting in over 5 years.

Scorpa65's picture

I've been a fan of DT since I&W. The last 2 albums leading up to the MP meltdown i was thinking wow this isnt DT anymore. Tho i enjoyed several tunes from them it was just getting to out of base of what the bands foundation was. PROG!!! MP is a master on the drums. But his direction he was taking them was more like what hes doing now. When he announced he was leaving i was sad, but happy too. Because the band was suffering under him. Now there back with the PROG!!! I always likened them to Kansas, Yes, Rush on steroids. Very heavy PROG!!! Now with the welcoming in of MM its back. He is a monster and a God on the drums. But the best part is hes humble as a human. Hes not a attention whore. The band now seems happier then before. Their all hanging out together after the shows. Its a unit again.

MP will always be the drummer who set the sound. It just sad hes trying to screw the band now. I hope one day the band and him can make amends. Its a shame to throw away that many years of friendship away. It seems he forgot that he was the one who left the band.

MM you fit right in. And i love seeing how you are with them. You have brought new life to DT something that was really needed. Thank you for being the human being that you are. Its great to see. The band is better with you. Theres no more egos getting in the way.

Thank you for accepting the slot of being their permanent drummer.

JamesEwt's picture

I was crushed when Portnoy left. My son (with whom I have shared some of our best memories, on the road travelling to see DT) told me about it, and for the first week I thought it to be some cruel internet hoax.

Now that the new CD is out , I see and hear that the band is actually better than ever , in my opinion. It's great to know I don't have to choose. I can enjoy both history and the new Era of Dream effing Theater.

CISCOKIDD's picture

I was very pleased with Mike Mangini's playing last night ,he filled the big shoes that Portnoy left and then some, I like the no nonsense approach and not spitting all the time. I felt the bands renewed energy and it really showed last night in L.A. Nokia Theater. Very happy you guys decided to continue so that DT fans all over the world can enjoy your talents and music.

kenny-c's picture

I will agree mike is bad ass hopefully mp is ok and is doing well I wish him the best but the new cd with mike #2 is FUCKEN BAD ASS hpe you can check on mike #1 and see if he is ok thanks mike #2

Kashmir75's picture

I'm thrilled at how most of the fanbase has welcomed MM to the DT fold with open arms! He really is a great drummer and a cool guy, and if they had to replace MP, he is the best possible choice! Welcome to the family, Mangini. You're awesome!

Crash_of_Doom's picture

MM is an amazing drummer and besides that, he's also a really kind guy! I've never met him and i guess i'll never will (that's ok, the "famous" people i admire are people i don't want to meet, because i'm too afraid the "magic" after meeting them will be gone), so it's only based on what i've seen on the internet.

Especially (special) i liked how thoughtfull he was over taking the drumthrone and what it ment to him, but also what it ment to the fans and the bandmembers. He's the best alternative as a drummer and since the list came out, i hoped he would become it, because he was the only drummer of that list i saw drumming with DT (i was also hoping for Simon Phillips haha) in the future.

The new album is great and Portnoy leaving was a breaking point for me to see myself as a fan, but after listening to the album all of my doubts and concerns were gone: DT hasn't changed musically and it's still the awesome band i fell in love with at the end of 2004. Looking forward to seeing them live in februari, although it's retardly expensive, but that's a testament of what this band means to me!

Geddy Petrucci's picture

Awesome post and very well said!! I will be welcoming him 5 nights from now and cannot wait. I think I am more excited for this show than I was for the Radio City Music Hall show or the 20 others I have seen. A perfect addition to the perfect band.

I'd take MM over MP any day and wish they would have done it about 6 years ago.

Sephiros's picture

I'll never forget that day. I've been a devoted fan since Six Degrees came out. I catalog periods of my life based on what album is out at the time. I sat down on my computer and read the latest DT news headline. My heart stopped in my chest, it felt like a family member had died. My face activated all of it's crying muscles and the tears began to flow. I got up and collapsed to the ground and kept saying over and over to myself "It isn't true it isn't true it isn't true it isn't true!" "He can't leave! Why?!"

Just thinking about it makes the eyes moist. My girlfriend who I was just introducing to DT at the time was there to comfort me, she thought it was a little silly that I would get so emotional over a band member leaving but as she's come to know Dream Theater and their fans better she now understands the pain we all felt. I must have cried off and on for the next week straight, it hit me very, very hard. Even more weeks and months any time I would drink the emotions would come back up again and remind me I still wasn't over it.

At this point I have finally moved on from the fact that he is gone. The music he has given to us and the live concerts I got to share with him will live on forever with me, but I've accepted the present and I'm excited about the future! I still don't know Mangini muscially or personality wise but I look forward to what he can bring to the band. I found his work on the latest album was excellent and look forward to him having more creative input on the next album.

Welcome to the family Mike Mangini! I look forward to the years ahead with you.

dspurdy's picture

DT's future is in good hands. They couldn't have made a better choice. It would have killed me more to have them take a five year break.

Elias57's picture

Hi

as a fan within the last 20 years, I'm NOT shocked, MP left the band. Every break is a chance to get into new inspiration, ways, etc.

I've heard the new album 10 times and more and I personally give Mr.Mangini a second chance, to give HIS inspiration to the output of this great band!

Mr.Mangini is playing well, technical perfect, but, I'm sorry for that, I missed his personality note. He's playing WITH the other guys, no less, no more.

Great songs on this album, well done :)

And, by the way, the mastering / mixing of the new album is not well done. Missing room, air and well packed tracks into the main sound. It's like putting parts into the mix and forgot to bring them INTO the mix.

sixxstring54's picture

I am utterly amazed at how quickly Mike Mangini soaked the material in. I mean learning songs from most good bands can take a long time, but DT songs are like albums. Just about every song has a million different parts.
I have seen the live bootleg stuff on Youtube and the songs still make me want to get up and dance, then play my guitar for hours. Watch MM's hands, they are allover the place. Not exactly the Snare hi hat kick drum monotony most bands have. I used to think that Portnoy was the best, now I think he has an equal partner in Mike Mangini. They are both very incredible drummers.
I listen mostly for JP and JR. I catch my jaw dropping when I realize what JM is playing underneath. I apprecieate that JL can sing, not like the so called singers in other technical bands.
I hope DT lasts another twenty years!!!!

BigBunny's picture

i think this whole thread should be sent to MM :D

sixxstring54's picture

[quote=DecadesOfTheater]Dear Mr. Mangini,

Thank You[/quote]

Sworn2Avenge's picture

A well written, heartfelt response; I couldn't agree more. I too was in shock when I had heard the news of Mike Portnoy leaving; I didn't really believe it at first.

Mr. Mangini, I'm astounded at your masterful, seemingly effortless playing. It's difficult to believe that anyone could have fit into the band as well as you have. As a nearly 20 year fan of Dream Theater, after one listen to ADToE, I am relieved, grateful, and humbled. The band's last two outings left me doubting there could be a bright future, but I have officially renewed my faith in the members of DT. God's speed, good luck on tour, and "Hey Bro, call me when u get the chance !"

Sincerely,
Steve Sheperdson

BrettCullen's picture

[quote=Mark Bredius]He'll get a chance to read it, because I just emailed it to him. :D

Great first post and also exactly how I feel.

Mike Mangini has brought so much positive energy to the band, which I've witnessed first hand.
And it's great to see how (pretty much) the entire fanbase has welcomed him with open arms, even chanting his full name (not just Mike) at concerts.
[/quote]

Could you post his reply if he replies to that! I'd love to see his reaction to that awesome post

JinovaDTF's picture

Dude, you took the words right out of my mouth. Well said!

stratcat's picture

A great post and exactly how I feel too.

JCF204's picture

Mike M. can bring it for sure. I hope he knows just how much we love the music and I for one can not wait to hear more from him. The drumming on this album is fantastic.

And the back and forth thing he does with his arms at the end of his drum solo????
Ridiculous!!! I don't think the band could have found a more suiting drummer for DT.

Awake79's picture

Great post! I have been a DT fan since '93, and have been a Mangini fan since '94, when he joined Extreme, my other favorite band. I too couldn't imagine a DT without MP. But, on the inside, the minute I read that he had left, Mangini was literally my very first though as someone to step in. I was literally exstatic when I learned he was in. The Spirit does Carry On.

FingerWiz's picture

Amazing words, expressing exactly how I feel.

Pages