Skip directly to content

Dear Mr. Mangini

• Dear Mr. Mangini
    September 15, 2011 - 4:14am

Dear Mr. Mangini,
    Dream Theater has been providing the sound track for my life for over two decades now and I want to thank you for stepping in to continue that sound track. You must understand that I have listened to every chord, note, beat, pause, lyric, and harmonic of the entire body of work from this band for years, without tiring of it. I don't just know the music, it has become a part of me, echoing in my head when there are no speakers to amplify the music.

When I read that Mr. Portnoy was leaving the band I was shattered. The music stopped, and I like many of the fans from which I have read posts from, felt the same. I felt lost and afraid of the unknown future for this part of my life that I enjoy so much. But you stepped in, masterfully, to provide the continuation of the music that has shaped so much of my life. I cannot tell you the absolute relief I felt when I listen to your words saying "This is not just a gig to me", because it is not just a band to me.

I implore you to bring all of your creative spirit to pour in to the music. Let us know you for the music you bring to us from within. But please more than anything else I can say here, let me personally welcome you to the family, that is this band and the fans.

Great job on "A Dramatic Turn of Events" and see you in Chicago very soon.

Thank You

DecadesOfTheater's picture
on September 15, 2011 - 4:14am

Dear Mr. Mangini,
Dream Theater has been providing the sound track for my life for over two decades now and I want to thank you for stepping in to continue that sound track. You must understand that I have listened to every chord, note, beat, pause, lyric, and harmonic of the entire body of work from this band for years, without tiring of it. I don't just know the music, it has become a part of me, echoing in my head when there are no speakers to amplify the music.

When I read that Mr. Portnoy was leaving the band I was shattered. The music stopped, and I like many of the fans from which I have read posts from, felt the same. I felt lost and afraid of the unknown future for this part of my life that I enjoy so much. But you stepped in, masterfully, to provide the continuation of the music that has shaped so much of my life. I cannot tell you the absolute relief I felt when I listen to your words saying "This is not just a gig to me", because it is not just a band to me.

I implore you to bring all of your creative spirit to pour in to the music. Let us know you for the music you bring to us from within. But please more than anything else I can say here, let me personally welcome you to the family, that is this band and the fans.

Great job on "A Dramatic Turn of Events" and see you in Chicago very soon.

Thank You

Forum category: 
BigBunny's picture

i've only been a fan for 2yrs but i just know you (Mr. Mangini) are going to make DT even better!
MetallicA are my fav. band and when Jason left i cried, then Rob joined and they've never been stronger! \m/^_^\m/

plus i've seen you play with Mr. VAI ;)

Mark Bredius's picture

He'll get a chance to read it, because I just emailed it to him. :D

Great first post and also exactly how I feel.

Mike Mangini has brought so much positive energy to the band, which I've witnessed first hand.
And it's great to see how (pretty much) the entire fanbase has welcomed him with open arms, even chanting his full name (not just Mike) at concerts.

WDADU's picture

Very well said. And agree with what you said about Portnoy leaving; no matter who was sad, happy, or indifferent to see him leave, I think that it would be a lie for anybody to say that the thought didn't cross their minds if whether Dream Theater would throw in the towel and that would be it for the band. I know I did.

But here they are--kicking ass still, having just released a new album that, from what I have read, is being regarded as one of the band's best records, still touring the world, and sharing their music and talent with us; relentless, and unwilling to quit.

So, with that said, I think the original poster made the point the best.

Thank you, Mike Mangini, and thank you, Dream Theater--members past, and present.

eternal dreamer's picture

i'm in tears

TuscanCountess's picture

This is so genuine and touching! No one brings people together like DT!

Emerald Thoughts's picture

Well said! I hope that "Genie" gets a chance to read this. =)

Pages