Skip directly to content

Digital Cameras at Dream Theater Concerts

• Digital Cameras at Dream Theater Concerts
    October 28, 2011 - 3:00am

Wanted to share a letter I sent to the Bass Concert Hall in Austin, Texas after issues we encountered trying to take photos of Dream Theater from our front seat.
    It would be great if Dream Theater could come up with an agreement with all venues so that fans don't find out too late...at the concert. How about "Small Digital Cameras No Flash Allowed?"
    Please stop this Catch-22 from happening!
    After purchasing VIP tickets for good money per ticket we attended the Dream Theater concert last night, October 26, 2010 at the Bass Concert Hall, in Austin, Texas.
    After making sure we could use small digital cameras...confirmed by LiveNation who sold us the VIP tickets, Dream Theater representatives themselves (at the VIP Meet and Greet with the Dream Theater band right before the show, and with the band themselves while they were signing autographs...we proceed to our FRONT ROW seat.
    As soon as we take our first small digital camera photo...your security personnel immediately rush over to tell us NO PHOTOS - NO CAMERAS!
    WHAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAT??????? is the collective reply by all of your guests wearing DREAM THEATER VIP Badges. We proceed to inform your security personnel...to no avail. Incensed, I endure through the first 2 songs of the opening band TRIVIUM...after I could no longer take it...I walk out and over to your Guest Services...and was greeted with the OVERUSED-TIRED-LINE "We are only following the orders of the band"..............BALONEY........we knew better....we had a lot of people in the first 5 rows (with DREAM THEATER VIP Badges confirm they had called...they confirmed...they asked again...they confirmed...YES...SMALL DIGITAL CAMERAS were ALLOWED.
    As soon as the opening band, TRIVIUM, was done...I again raised my protest to your security personnel...they summoned a guest services employee who again expressed the OVERUSED-TIRED-LINE "We are only following the orders of the band"...But we knew better. Continuing to protest, I showed him the email that I received from DREAM THEATER VIP that clearly stated small digital cameras allowed. Your person took that information to the band management and your venue then changed the NO PHOTOS-NO CAMERA policy to YOU CAN TAKE PHOTOS-NO FLASH for the first 15 minutes.
    So being stuck with that or nothing...we accepted the 15 minutes (still a complete rip-off after knowing what we had been told...and knowing the documentation that we had directly from DREAM THEATER!!!).
    So...the band comes on...and the first 5 rows take photos................until...............half-way during the second song....your security personnel....during the second song....the performers merely feet away from us in the FRONT ROW...proceed to interrupt the song and the viewing by WALKING IN FRONT OF US to tell us TIME IS UP...NO MORE PHOTOS. At that point the Bass Concert Hall showed us...especially the first five rows...DREAM THEATER VIP...what a bunch of CLOWNS...LOSERS...you all (yes...all) are. Could your GOONS not wait until the end of the song before doing their bully best to remind the audience who was in charge?
    So...I bring this up because DREAM THEATER fans are some of the most passionate in the world...they look forward to the perfect concert experience that the band members want to provide their fans...and the band does not want to let them down...especially because a venue blocks innocent small no flash camera picture taking.

By the way...DREAM THEATER is still the GREATEST BAND IN THE WORLD! Despite the actions of Bass Concert Hall personnel - Excellent show!

Richard B.
    San Antonio, Texas
    Music Promotion

SanAntonioTexas's picture
on October 28, 2011 - 3:00am

Wanted to share a letter I sent to the Bass Concert Hall in Austin, Texas after issues we encountered trying to take photos of Dream Theater from our front seat.
It would be great if Dream Theater could come up with an agreement with all venues so that fans don't find out too late...at the concert. How about "Small Digital Cameras No Flash Allowed?"
Please stop this Catch-22 from happening!
After purchasing VIP tickets for good money per ticket we attended the Dream Theater concert last night, October 26, 2010 at the Bass Concert Hall, in Austin, Texas.
After making sure we could use small digital cameras...confirmed by LiveNation who sold us the VIP tickets, Dream Theater representatives themselves (at the VIP Meet and Greet with the Dream Theater band right before the show, and with the band themselves while they were signing autographs...we proceed to our FRONT ROW seat.
As soon as we take our first small digital camera photo...your security personnel immediately rush over to tell us NO PHOTOS - NO CAMERAS!
WHAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAT??????? is the collective reply by all of your guests wearing DREAM THEATER VIP Badges. We proceed to inform your security personnel...to no avail. Incensed, I endure through the first 2 songs of the opening band TRIVIUM...after I could no longer take it...I walk out and over to your Guest Services...and was greeted with the OVERUSED-TIRED-LINE "We are only following the orders of the band"..............BALONEY........we knew better....we had a lot of people in the first 5 rows (with DREAM THEATER VIP Badges confirm they had called...they confirmed...they asked again...they confirmed...YES...SMALL DIGITAL CAMERAS were ALLOWED.
As soon as the opening band, TRIVIUM, was done...I again raised my protest to your security personnel...they summoned a guest services employee who again expressed the OVERUSED-TIRED-LINE "We are only following the orders of the band"...But we knew better. Continuing to protest, I showed him the email that I received from DREAM THEATER VIP that clearly stated small digital cameras allowed. Your person took that information to the band management and your venue then changed the NO PHOTOS-NO CAMERA policy to YOU CAN TAKE PHOTOS-NO FLASH for the first 15 minutes.
So being stuck with that or nothing...we accepted the 15 minutes (still a complete rip-off after knowing what we had been told...and knowing the documentation that we had directly from DREAM THEATER!!!).
So...the band comes on...and the first 5 rows take photos................until...............half-way during the second song....your security personnel....during the second song....the performers merely feet away from us in the FRONT ROW...proceed to interrupt the song and the viewing by WALKING IN FRONT OF US to tell us TIME IS UP...NO MORE PHOTOS. At that point the Bass Concert Hall showed us...especially the first five rows...DREAM THEATER VIP...what a bunch of CLOWNS...LOSERS...you all (yes...all) are. Could your GOONS not wait until the end of the song before doing their bully best to remind the audience who was in charge?
So...I bring this up because DREAM THEATER fans are some of the most passionate in the world...they look forward to the perfect concert experience that the band members want to provide their fans...and the band does not want to let them down...especially because a venue blocks innocent small no flash camera picture taking.

By the way...DREAM THEATER is still the GREATEST BAND IN THE WORLD! Despite the actions of Bass Concert Hall personnel - Excellent show!

Richard B.
San Antonio, Texas
Music Promotion

Forum category: 
OC8202's picture

Back in the 5th row the Camera Nazis were out in full force......I saw you guys attempting to plead your case, but it's hard to argue with a dick-tater......just sayin...

SanAntonioTexas's picture

@Vegvisir: Thanks for the catch...I was a little upset while writing the letter!

Vegvisir's picture

If it hasn't been sent yet, it may ought to be noted that it was actually October 26, 2011. Not 2010 as stated in your letter.