Skip directly to content

Discrimination still live and well in the US

• Discrimination still live and well in the US
    August 1, 2013 - 10:54pm

I just wanted to comment on something that happend to me today. I was working at a customers office that I was moving office products into. Across the hall in the same building was a Stanley Morgan office. Stanley Morgan was on of the US banks that sold bad loans through wallstreet and such. The person that was working with me, brought up that he had recently seen a documentary on the wallstreet market collapse on PBS. I had also seen this documentary before on PBS. We were just passing time having this conversation, when out of the blue, one of the people that work at Stanley Morgan across the hall comes into the office where we were working, and say's, " I heard what you said about Stanley Morgan, and I think you need to get your facts straight, and shut your pie hole about are respectable morgage firm, I have customers in my office, and they can hear what your saying about Stanley Morgan." I could not believe that this suite had the nerve to attack our thoughts about what we heard about Stanley Morgan on this documentary that we had viewed on television. In other words he was saying to us, who are you to pass judgement on Stanley Morgan. I was thinking to myself, that just goes to show you how people how are very well to do, treat the middle class, and the people below poverty level. I was disgusted beyond belief. I felt like telling him, next you'll try to tell me there's no global warming

First Memeber's picture
on August 1, 2013 - 10:54pm

I just wanted to comment on something that happend to me today. I was working at a customers office that I was moving office products into. Across the hall in the same building was a Stanley Morgan office. Stanley Morgan was on of the US banks that sold bad loans through wallstreet and such. The person that was working with me, brought up that he had recently seen a documentary on the wallstreet market collapse on PBS. I had also seen this documentary before on PBS. We were just passing time having this conversation, when out of the blue, one of the people that work at Stanley Morgan across the hall comes into the office where we were working, and say's, " I heard what you said about Stanley Morgan, and I think you need to get your facts straight, and shut your pie hole about are respectable morgage firm, I have customers in my office, and they can hear what your saying about Stanley Morgan." I could not believe that this suite had the nerve to attack our thoughts about what we heard about Stanley Morgan on this documentary that we had viewed on television. In other words he was saying to us, who are you to pass judgement on Stanley Morgan. I was thinking to myself, that just goes to show you how people how are very well to do, treat the middle class, and the people below poverty level. I was disgusted beyond belief. I felt like telling him, next you'll try to tell me there's no global warming

Forum category: 
Phrygian Sunshine's picture

@First Memeber: No need to apologize, my friend. This has been a good conversation and it sounds like something positive came out of it. Nothing wrong with that.

First Memeber's picture

Thanks for your comments, I really take them in to consideration, your point of view does matter, I did use the wrong word, in the header, discrimination was not correct, aggressive behavior would have been much more fitting. I did not post every word, in detail. I realize now, that I was angry at myself when I was writting the post, but I did not convey that portion in words. Know I feel that I was wrong in posting anything negative here, that is not what its for, and I apologize. I should not have said anything about my personal life as well, including the people that I live in the town with, there very nice to me, and I never have had anyone question my personal life, Im sure they probably don't even care about that, they talk to me with the upmost respect, and I appreciate that from them, they don't have to be nice if they don't want to be nice, that's just the way the world is. Thanks Again.

Jorge Armando's picture

Are you talking about the documentary featuring John Mack? If so, I watched it too. Interesting indeed. Anyway, I agree with Phrygian on this. I see no discrimination here, and I'm a mexican ;) I'd call your posting "Rudeness still alive and well..."
Had it been me I'd just have told the jerk to go have intercourse with himself and leave me to my very own conclusions. That's it. Have a great one, both of you!!!

@First Memeber: Hi First Member. Glad to hear things are good. I'm also doing well.

You use the word "discrimination" in the title of your thread quite prominently, yet, after reading your story a few times, the very worst thing that I can find that the man says is "Shut your pie hole." While surely impolite, these words don't qualify as discriminatory. If you'd said that he made some kind of anti-gay remark, then I would have agreed with you, but that wasn't the case. This doesn't sound like a personal attack on you at all.

On the other hand, you deemed it appropriate in your post to refer to the man as "this suit" (actually, you wrote "suite," but I knew what you meant). Not a term of endearment, you made that comment for the very purpose of showcasing the difference in social scale between you and this other person in an unflattering light. It also doesn't cast the man as a human being, but as an inanimate object. Can you see the irony at work here? In your entire post about discrimination in the US, you are the only one who says anything that I would deem to be derogatory. I believe you when you say that you've been verbally attacked in your home town for being gay. Sometimes, during the course of our trials in life, we start to become just like the things that we struggle against without even realizing it. Friedrich Nietzsche said it best: "Be careful when you fight the monsters, lest you become one." I know this all too well.

Of course, these are just my observations based on the story you told. Please don't take any offense. Had I overheard the actual conversation that took place, I might have seen something different. Have a good Sunday.

First Memeber's picture

@Phrygian Sunshine: Hi Sunshine, How are you? Im doing well. I just wanted to explain further to your comment. I am an extremely compassinate person. And I do agree the gentleman probably was embarrassed. I was embarrassed as well that I was confronted for stating the truth to what the facts were that were described in the documentary. Your not comparing and apple to an apple. The Banks, including Morgan Stanley destroyed millions of peoples livelyhoods, heck people were committing suicide because they lost everything that they worked there whole lives for. The world economy is at stake now because of these banks tactics. I am an openely gay individual, I live in a rural total Republican small farming town. Everyone at my workplace knows that I am gay as well. I sometimes am attacked for it. I never retaliate against there opintion. I walk away, knowing, God created me this way, and my life adds a certain flare to the world that is nothing less than a total encompassing positive light. Everyone has an opintion, no one is wrong, unless there not telling the truth. The price we pay to live this way!

I can't claim to know anything about Stanley Morgan or their place in the market collapse, however, after reading your story, I didn't draw that same conclusion as you. As I see it, to disagree with another person's opinion and tell them to get their facts straight is not discrimination. I drive a bus. If one day some passengers got on my bus and started saying bad things about bus drivers in a loud voice, I doubt that I would like it very much. At the very least, I would feel quite embarrassed in front of my other passengers. I'm sure that the things you were saying were embarrassing this man as well.