Skip directly to content

Do you want to hear the "Alcoholics Anonymous Suite" live?

• Do you want to hear the "Alcoholics Anonymous Suite" live?
    September 15, 2011 - 10:10pm

Since MP left, there seems to be no hope to hear the whole suite live in concert or as an official bootleg.
    I really would like to hear all 5 songs of it in one gig, maybe to see MP again :D
    What's your opinion?

rudessfan's picture
on September 15, 2011 - 10:10pm

Since MP left, there seems to be no hope to hear the whole suite live in concert or as an official bootleg.
I really would like to hear all 5 songs of it in one gig, maybe to see MP again :D
What's your opinion?

Forum category: 
Crash_of_Doom's picture

I wouldn't mind if they would play some of the songs, but playing them all in a suite would feel wrong. I agree with Canuck, those songs were very personal to MP and playing them all together would just be weird. On the other side, if they do play it while i'm attending, i'm not walking away either haha

Canuck's picture

As much as I like and appreciate those songs, it'll never happen IMO. Portnoy is gone, and those songs were very personal to him. And although it hasn't been mentioned, I'm sure the other members of DT were miffed with MP's decision to quit and leave them hanging. DT is more of a team today, everyone contributing, instead of "Mike Portnoy's band". Mangini's the new drummer, embrace it, he's awesome and the band has never sounded better.

drop2d's picture

[quote=Soulfire]Hells yeah. I'd love to see it live. Although I seriously doubt it ever happening. That was well and truly a Portnoy thing, and I doubt the other band members would play it all without him.

Oh and it HAS to be preceeded by The Mirror, which we all know is the Prologue to the AA suite. No exceptions :D[/quote]

Completely agree.

lak89's picture

Hell yes I do, the AA suite songs are among my favorite. If Portnoy does reunite with the band (even for a one off show), I would like them to do two sets, the first hour of songs from the DT catalog of their choice, and the second hour will be the AA suite played in it's entirety..and released on DVD too! It's somewhat like when they did When Dream and Day Reunite with Charlie Dominici, so now AA suite with MP if you get what I mean.

And yes, The Mirror has to precede it!

Soulfire's picture

Hells yeah. I'd love to see it live. Although I seriously doubt it ever happening. That was well and truly a Portnoy thing, and I doubt the other band members would play it all without him.

Oh and it HAS to be preceeded by The Mirror, which we all know is the Prologue to the AA suite. No exceptions :D

Ad134's picture

[quote=Awake79]I would dig it. And I remember MP mentioning it in a DVD commentary once, about doing it. But, was it ever finished? I'm not familiar with the 12 steps to recovery, were all of them covered?[/quote]

Yes.
1 2 and 3 are The Glass Prison.
4 and 5 are This Dying Soul.
6 and 7 are The Root Of All Evil.
8 and 9 are Repentance.
10, 11 and 12 are The Shattered Fortress.

It even says it in the lyric booklets ;)

Awake79's picture

I would dig it. And I remember MP mentioning it in a DVD commentary once, about doing it. But, was it ever finished? I'm not familiar with the 12 steps to recovery, were all of them covered?