Skip directly to content

A Dramatic Tour of Events DVD?

• A Dramatic Tour of Events DVD?
    October 6, 2011 - 5:18pm

Does anyone think there may be a DVD from the tour? I would love to see another Dream Theater DVD but something more along the lines of a single show like "..Budokan" than "Chaos in Motion."

I think this would be a great time to show the band while they are on super form and a great way of showing Mangini to us. Plus there are some songs eg. Count of Tuscany which haven't been released with great video quality, not to mention the ADTOE songs.

It would also be great to include some footage from the High Voltage Show in the UK.

JohnFrantastic's picture
on October 6, 2011 - 5:18pm

Does anyone think there may be a DVD from the tour? I would love to see another Dream Theater DVD but something more along the lines of a single show like "..Budokan" than "Chaos in Motion."

I think this would be a great time to show the band while they are on super form and a great way of showing Mangini to us. Plus there are some songs eg. Count of Tuscany which haven't been released with great video quality, not to mention the ADTOE songs.

It would also be great to include some footage from the High Voltage Show in the UK.

Forum category: 
Soulfire's picture

I prefer Score because

1) The Octavarium Orchestra was amazing

2) Labrie sounds more consistent than Budokan

3) They play 6 degrees, octavarium and metropolis in one show. Can't argue with that.

I still love Budokan but because of those reasons, I must say that Score is much better

bigrich67's picture

i haven't watched score in a while, and it was great as i recall. HOWEVER...

doesn't budokan have "instrumedley" on it? i could watch that over and over again for hours.

Obryn's picture

[quote=floyducci]@Obryn: I advice to buy 2 copies of dvd score: one you'll consume and one put in frame ...... :)
you must get this fabulous dvd!!!!! [/quote]

Ok, from what I hear, some fans even rank Score as a better DvD than Budokan...I guess it's hard to beat a concert that includes 6DoIT and Octavarium in their entirety! I will definitely try to find a copy soon.

floyducci's picture

@Obryn: I advice to buy 2 copies of dvd score: one you'll consume and one put in frame ...... :)
you must get this fabulous dvd!!!!!

Obryn's picture

I remember JP saying in a recent interview that they thought this tour would be perfect to make another live DVD for. I'm gonna be honest by saying that I'm so glad MP won't be here to direct this one...because I thought his directional style on Metropolis 2000 made the DVD look like it was cut and edited by high-school AV students. Also, the Chaos in Motion DVD also had poor direction/editing. Letting the japs direct [i]Live at Budokan[/i] was the best decision DT ever made for a live DVD. I can't say anything about Score because I still haven't seen that one (I only own the cd version atm.)

solitaryshell's picture

I think there is no doubt that they will release a live dvd of this tour. This album/tour was a serious crossroad for the guys and they pulled it off in in epic and sensational fashion. Many bands may have collapsed or at least fluttered, but not DT. Their success of the past nine months or so is nothing short of remarkable in the music industry and you can see it building by the week. It will surely be documented on dvd and most likely a live album release. My thoughts.

Soulfire's picture

[quote=Pearl65]@YamahaSynth:

Thanks for all that info. :)

They just are performed well and stand out a bit to me on the "SCORE" album,dvd.

I will now search all the music libraries files on Itunes, and music stores to get a hard copy etc.

Cheers mate and thanks again

PS. Is there other songs released elsewhere that you now about? [/quote]

There are plenty of DT demo songs.

Take a look at http://www.ytsejamrecords.com/. It's got pretty much all of the DT bootlegs and demos available to order. Also, they did release a fanclub CD of all their best demo songs that never got put on an album in a record called "Cleaning Out The Closet". Take a look at that one as well.

In terms of the DVD though, I think with the new monster drum kit, and the awesome new visuals, there's plenty of visual feasts for your eyes to justify wanting a live DVD for a show on this tour.

AnotherWon's picture

We are way overdue for a live album

Pearl65's picture

@YamahaSynth:

Thanks for all that info. :)

They just are performed well and stand out a bit to me on the "SCORE" album,dvd.

I will now search all the music libraries files on Itunes, and music stores to get a hard copy etc.

Cheers mate and thanks again

PS. Is there other songs released elsewhere that you now about?

YamahaSynth's picture

[quote=Pearl65]Score DVD was/is sensational. Yes, great time for a DVD of the world tour 2012. Maybe we will see a releas in late 2012 or early 2013 can't wait.
Could anyone tell me about the songs Another won & Raise the knife, what records did they originated from?
Cheers everyone................ [/quote]

'Another Won' is from the Majesty - Chris Collins era, as far as I can recall. 'Raise the Knife' is a song that was written during the writing session for 'A Change of Seasons' EP, intended for 'Falling into Infinity', but cut (along with a LOT of other songs) during the production process by the label in an attempt to make a more 'radio friendly' album. Both songs were eventually released in their demo form on Mike Portnoy's label, YtseJam Records back around 2007.

Wolfpacker96's picture

I would be more surprised if they didn't have a DVD. Can't say I'm really looking forward to another one, but I am really looking forward to seeing them live!! The Budokan bluray is actually much cheaper than the old DVD, so I may upgrade that one.

Pearl65's picture

Score DVD was/is sensational. Yes, great time for a DVD of the world tour 2012. Maybe we will see a releas in late 2012 or early 2013 can't wait.
Could anyone tell me about the songs Another won & Raise the knife, what records did they originated from?
Cheers everyone................

Soulfire's picture

I'm all for it yeah. Whether or not they do it is another question, but I suppose if we gather enough sentiment around the topic we can make a difference :)

Kashmir75's picture

Yeah, I'm all for a Dramatic Tour of Events DVD. Preferably at one venue, like Budokan or Score

YTSE's picture

I hope they release something like Budokan or Score, the Chaos In Motion was good but I prefer the single venue style. Seems more complete to me.