Skip directly to content

A Dramatic Turn Of Events Thread

• A Dramatic Turn Of Events Thread
    September 8, 2011 - 10:37pm

There is one on the other forum, and there should be one on here, I think. I'm super excited for it. It looks like it will be their best album since Scenes!

(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻'s picture
on September 8, 2011 - 10:37pm

There is one on the other forum, and there should be one on here, I think. I'm super excited for it. It looks like it will be their best album since Scenes!

Forum category: 
Dysplasia's picture

I'm really loving the new album! Lyrically, musically, everything is just amazing... I'm hearing all my favorite "DT elements" from "Images & Words" all the way through "Scenes From a Memory" in this new record. Top notch playing, very melodic, soaring, rocking and beautiful all at the same time. They truly reached a whole new level with this one!

Signatus's picture

Yes, there are many stuff that remember other songs from other albuns.

Yes, in some parts it´s like they are saying: "Hey, we are good enough, and look what we can do!"

Yes, they abused of "dramatic turns" of time signatures.

Honestly, and I can be wrong, but I think most of the writing process in this album was made thinking is a response for MP, something like: Hey, you left the band, but look what we can write without you.....

ADTOE is a very, very good record, I agree. But miles away from Scenes and Octavarium.........I feel that the most important thing in this album (ADTOE) was to show how good musicians they are. If we pay attention at the Octavarium songs, for instance, we can feel that the most important thing was the quality of the musical arrangements.

That´s my opinion, and as I said, I can be wrong.

Argemandy's picture

Guys, Have you read the discussion about ADTOE on Mike Portnoy's forum? In particular about the similarities with Images and Words: what dou you think ?

ali982's picture

This is one of the most amazing albums i've ever heard! thanks DT! :D

ytsejam's picture

Man i can't wait till Monday when i get the digital download ( bought the box set ). Haven't listened to any of the snippets or OTBOA. Has to be the hardest thing i have done not listening to any of this album. Driving my wife nut's....lol.

JPSH79's picture

I just love the guitar solo on "Breaking all illusions" from about 6:00 minutes.
I still get goosebumps after listening it about 1000 times now.
I just can't wait to get to see and hear them in Helsinki.
I saw them back in 2007 and to hear the ending solo in "The ministry of lost souls" in a big venue was something indescribably fantastic.

Can't wait for my Limited edition Box-set to arrive.

Eduard's picture

Best album since 6DOIT. Loved previous albums, but this one is for sure one of their best.
IMO the best song is Breaking All Illusions, but my favorite is actually Outcry, followed by Bridges in the Sky and the forementioned Breaking All Illusions.

tromljofl's picture

I'm not sure what to think. Many of you will hate me for saying this... but I don't think, it's such a great album. I DIDN'T SAY IT'S BAD, it's still DT ^^. But I'm missing some outstanding melody-stuff, I'm missing some simple, grooving riffs, which are not interrupted by some technical difficulties every two seconds and I'm missing the red line in many songs of that album. Please don't misunderstand me, I love MM way of playing drums, I love JLB's performance here, Myung is BACK, and the instrumental madness is - there are no words (outcry!!!). But it is more like a "see what we can do" - album, without regard to the context of the music. Yes, I love Prog, but I love a good songwriting as well.

Sorry for my english. I know, I'm not the best. ^^

-=EoE=-'s picture

Outcry has a lot of Metropolis Part 1 in it, or is it just me?

SeRoX's picture

[quote=Brewtaco]Do you guys think there will be snippets released for 'build me up, break me down' and 'outcry' before the album comes out?[/quote]

I wouldn't wait any snippet. Roadrunner Germany just displayed all songs full so I don't see any reason to get one more snippets. I think we'll get a video clip of BMDBMU instead of a snippet.

Signatus's picture

Until now, for me, it´s very good. But I´m sure that in a few days I´ll think.....OMG........WTF is this??? Really blowing minds.

There are a lot of influences from the other records (there´s an exact part as Dark Eternal Night, the ending solo....I´m kinda lazy now, after I´ll explain better)

But, as I said...........very good (for now)

And waiting for Morristown and NYC dates!!!!!!!!!!!!!!1

Brewtaco's picture

Do you guys think there will be snippets released for 'build me up, break me down' and 'outcry' before the album comes out?
id rele like to hear a sample of them but dont want to listen to the whole album till my deluxe edition arrives \m/

Fiat Lux's picture

[quote=Scarred1983][quote=Fiat Lux] MM's drumming is on the money, but not as busy as MP's. [/quote]

I partially agree, though there are parts throughout ADToE which Portnoy could not pull off, not even if his life depended on it... nothing against MP, because some of his signature parts are legendary, but still! I'm loving MM's dynamic approach... so tastefull!!! :D[/quote]

Scarred, I have no beef with MM's drumming. It's complicated, it's tasteful and it fits. One of the things I liked about MP's drumming was those little "extras" which can easily be criticised as overplaying, but they made his style particularly unique. This is not a criticism of MM in any way... I'm just hearing a few places in ADTOE where MP would have added some further texture.

cheers

Fiat Lux's picture

[quote=flying_walrus][quote=Fiat Lux]traditional prog[/quote]

heh. "Traditional" "Prog"(ressive).

but -- I agree. it's everything DT was before Train (a great album... that didn't need to be rehashed several times). I guess MP is happy doing "Rock" while DT can now get back to admitting they have a keyboard player in the band :)[/quote]

Hey Walrus

Point taken! I meant Trad prog to mean NOT metal prog. As you rightly noted... they have a keyboard player!

cheers

Scarred1983's picture

I highly approve! :D

SeRoX's picture

Well, I got it yesterday. The first spin: OMG, this is fucking amazing. The second spin: Oh yeah, this is really fucking amazing... After many spins my thought stood same so this album is EPIC.

Scarred1983's picture

[quote=Fiat Lux] MM's drumming is on the money, but not as busy as MP's. [/quote]

I partially agree, though there are parts throughout ADToE which Portnoy could not pull off, not even if his life depended on it... nothing against MP, because some of his signature parts are legendary, but still! I'm loving MM's dynamic approach... so tastefull!!! :D

flying_walrus's picture

[quote=Fiat Lux]traditional prog[/quote]

heh. "Traditional" "Prog"(ressive).

but -- I agree. it's everything DT was before Train (a great album... that didn't need to be rehashed several times). I guess MP is happy doing "Rock" while DT can now get back to admitting they have a keyboard player in the band :)

christzero's picture

The album is unbelievable. So is Manginis drumming. Can't wait to listen to it again tomorrow morning!

SilentFury007's picture

[quote=BlackInk]As it turns out I will buy two copies. One single CD version just to have while I wait for my Box Set.[/quote]
But.... if you ordered the box set.... you'll be getting a digital download too.... right? Why buy the CD?

Fiat Lux's picture

I don't want to get any retailers into trouble but ADTOE has been available in shops in Australia for a couple of days now. I bought my CD/DVD version last Thursday. It sounds like a great album but I'm still getting used to it. It is a lot more traditional prog and I agree Jordan's keys sound terrific. MM's drumming is on the money, but not as busy as MP's.

So Aussies, go forth and lead the world in ADTOE ownership!

cheers

chrisgazpacho's picture

I've been a fan since WDADU came out and it's so great to hear Dream Theater sound like Dream Theater again!

Loving this so far, easily the best since Scenes. Jordan's keys are so huge on this, something that has really been lacking in their sound as of late. James sounds great, all the melodies are sticking with me so far.

Mangini does such a great job of fitting into the style that MP had. You really don't even notice that there is a new drummer.

So far Lost Not Forgotten, Bridges in the Sky, Outcry, and Break all Illusions are stand outs for me.

Chris

i.serrano's picture

The album is not "Breaking all the illusions". ;)

Shadow2222DTF's picture

Amazing album! Top 3 for sure.

Bertielee's picture

[quote=The Silent Cody]I can't wait to get my copy today!!! :D :D :D [/quote]

No need to boast about it! :p

B.Lee

aneksteve's picture

Illusions !!! they burst into Jethro tull mode ,loving it.

Japperman's picture

Whee, I got my copy this morning in the mail! I really love it. Also, I also ordered the Deluxe edition, which should arrive in a few weeks!

progman86's picture

I'll probably get the standard one CD version of the album while I wait for my Deluxe Edition. :)

eviljust's picture

I loved the snippets and I loved On The Backs Of Angels!

BlackInk's picture

As it turns out I will buy two copies. One single CD version just to have while I wait for my Box Set.

Pages