Dream Theater Releases "Dream Theater" Sept 24, 2013

• Dream Theater Releases "Dream Theater" Sept 24, 2013
    June 6, 2013 - 3:04pm

DREAM THEATER UNVEILS MILESTONE NEW ALBUM;
    GRAMMY®-NOMINATED ROCK ICONS TO RELEASE
    FIRST-EVER SELF-TITLED COLLECTION;
    WORLD TOUR TO BE ANNOUNCED SOON;
    “DREAM THEATER” ARRIVES ON SEPTEMBER 24TH

Roadrunner Records has announced the eagerly anticipated new album from the legendary Dream Theater. “DREAM THEATER” – the first self-titled collection in the GRAMMY®-nominated band’s nearly three decade career – arrives at last on September 24th.

“DREAM THEATER” was recorded at Cove City Sound Studios in Glen Cove, New York, with founding guitarist John Petrucci producing and studio luminary Richard Chycki (Aerosmith, Rush) engineering and mixing. The album marks a brilliant new chapter for the always adventurous band, their first to have been written and recorded with drummer Mike Mangini wholly integrated into the creative process from the start.

“I see every new album as an opportunity to start over,” says Petrucci. “To either build or improve upon a direction that has been evolving over time or to completely break new ground. This is the first self-titled album of our career and there is nothing I can think of that makes a statement of musical and creative identity stronger than that. We’ve fully explored all of the elements that make us unique, from the epic and intense to the atmospheric and cinematic. We’re incredibly excited about ‘DREAM THEATER’ and can’t wait for everyone to hear it.”

“DREAM THEATER” will be available in a wide range of distinctive versions, including standard and special edition CDs, 180 Gram Vinyl Double LP, and a Limited Edition Box Set. Pre-orders are scheduled to get underway sometime in July at the Roadrunner Records Webstore.

“DREAM THEATER” follows 2011’s acclaimed “A DRAMATIC TURN OF EVENTS.” That album – highlighted by “On The Backs Of Angels,” which earned the iconic band its first ever GRAMMY® Award nomination (in the “Best Hard Rock/Metal Performance” category) – proved one of Dream Theater’s most successful, making top 10 chart debuts in 14 countries, including our own Billboard 200. “A DRAMATIC TURN OF EVENTS” was hailed for its ambition, complexity, and sheer melodic power, with Japan’s influential BURRN! naming it as the year’s “Best Album.”

Furthermore, the special edition CD/DVD set of “A DRAMATIC TURN OF EVENTS” included “The Spirit Carries On” – a 60-minute movie documenting Dream Theater’s drummer auditions, which resulted in the addition of the gifted Mangini. The challenge spurred Dream Theater to extraordinary artistic heights on “A DRAMATIC TURN OF EVENTS” and the epic world tour that followed. Long known as one of hard rock’s most powerful live acts, the recalibrated band hit the road hard in celebration of the acclaimed album, a 15-month trek which saw sold out headline shows in 35 countries across North America, Europe, Asia, Central America, and South America.

With total sales exceeding 10 million albums and DVDs worldwide, Dream Theater have long stood among the upper echelon of hard rock giants. Albums such as 1992’s RIAA gold-certified classic “IMAGES & WORDS” (featuring the breakthrough top 10 single, “Pull Me Under”) have earned the Long Island-based band countless accolades for their visionary synthesis of melodic power and virtuosic experimentation, including being named as one of Rolling Stone’s top 10 “Best Prog Rock Bands of All time.”

Since uniting with Roadrunner in 2007, Dream Theater has unleashed a series of remarkable albums, each work revealing stunning new musical facets and creative avenues. 2009’s “BLACK CLOUDS & SILVER LININGS” proved a milestone, debuting at #6 on the Billboard 200 – the band’s highest album chart debut to date.

Dream Theater will tour in support of “DREAM THEATER” – full details will be announced soon. For up-to-the-minute news and information, please visit www.dreamtheater.net/tourdates.

Dream Theater is: John Petrucci (guitar), John Myung (bass), James LaBrie (vocals), Jordan Rudess (keyboards and continuum) and Mike Mangini (drums).

For additional news and information, please visit www.dreamtheater.net, www.facebook.com/dreamtheaterofficial, www.twitter.com/dreamtheaternet www.myspace.com/dreamtheater, www.youtube.com/dreamtheater, and www.roadrunnerrecords.com.

Callahan's picture
on June 6, 2013 - 3:04pm

DREAM THEATER UNVEILS MILESTONE NEW ALBUM;
GRAMMY®-NOMINATED ROCK ICONS TO RELEASE
FIRST-EVER SELF-TITLED COLLECTION;
WORLD TOUR TO BE ANNOUNCED SOON;
“DREAM THEATER” ARRIVES ON SEPTEMBER 24TH

Roadrunner Records has announced the eagerly anticipated new album from the legendary Dream Theater. “DREAM THEATER” – the first self-titled collection in the GRAMMY®-nominated band’s nearly three decade career – arrives at last on September 24th.

“DREAM THEATER” was recorded at Cove City Sound Studios in Glen Cove, New York, with founding guitarist John Petrucci producing and studio luminary Richard Chycki (Aerosmith, Rush) engineering and mixing. The album marks a brilliant new chapter for the always adventurous band, their first to have been written and recorded with drummer Mike Mangini wholly integrated into the creative process from the start.

“I see every new album as an opportunity to start over,” says Petrucci. “To either build or improve upon a direction that has been evolving over time or to completely break new ground. This is the first self-titled album of our career and there is nothing I can think of that makes a statement of musical and creative identity stronger than that. We’ve fully explored all of the elements that make us unique, from the epic and intense to the atmospheric and cinematic. We’re incredibly excited about ‘DREAM THEATER’ and can’t wait for everyone to hear it.”

“DREAM THEATER” will be available in a wide range of distinctive versions, including standard and special edition CDs, 180 Gram Vinyl Double LP, and a Limited Edition Box Set. Pre-orders are scheduled to get underway sometime in July at the Roadrunner Records Webstore.

“DREAM THEATER” follows 2011’s acclaimed “A DRAMATIC TURN OF EVENTS.” That album – highlighted by “On The Backs Of Angels,” which earned the iconic band its first ever GRAMMY® Award nomination (in the “Best Hard Rock/Metal Performance” category) – proved one of Dream Theater’s most successful, making top 10 chart debuts in 14 countries, including our own Billboard 200. “A DRAMATIC TURN OF EVENTS” was hailed for its ambition, complexity, and sheer melodic power, with Japan’s influential BURRN! naming it as the year’s “Best Album.”

Furthermore, the special edition CD/DVD set of “A DRAMATIC TURN OF EVENTS” included “The Spirit Carries On” – a 60-minute movie documenting Dream Theater’s drummer auditions, which resulted in the addition of the gifted Mangini. The challenge spurred Dream Theater to extraordinary artistic heights on “A DRAMATIC TURN OF EVENTS” and the epic world tour that followed. Long known as one of hard rock’s most powerful live acts, the recalibrated band hit the road hard in celebration of the acclaimed album, a 15-month trek which saw sold out headline shows in 35 countries across North America, Europe, Asia, Central America, and South America.

With total sales exceeding 10 million albums and DVDs worldwide, Dream Theater have long stood among the upper echelon of hard rock giants. Albums such as 1992’s RIAA gold-certified classic “IMAGES & WORDS” (featuring the breakthrough top 10 single, “Pull Me Under”) have earned the Long Island-based band countless accolades for their visionary synthesis of melodic power and virtuosic experimentation, including being named as one of Rolling Stone’s top 10 “Best Prog Rock Bands of All time.”

Since uniting with Roadrunner in 2007, Dream Theater has unleashed a series of remarkable albums, each work revealing stunning new musical facets and creative avenues. 2009’s “BLACK CLOUDS & SILVER LININGS” proved a milestone, debuting at #6 on the Billboard 200 – the band’s highest album chart debut to date.

Dream Theater will tour in support of “DREAM THEATER” – full details will be announced soon. For up-to-the-minute news and information, please visit www.dreamtheater.net/tourdates.

Dream Theater is: John Petrucci (guitar), John Myung (bass), James LaBrie (vocals), Jordan Rudess (keyboards and continuum) and Mike Mangini (drums).

For additional news and information, please visit www.dreamtheater.net, www.facebook.com/dreamtheaterofficial, www.twitter.com/dreamtheaternet www.myspace.com/dreamtheater, www.youtube.com/dreamtheater, and www.roadrunnerrecords.com.

Forum category: 
AKexpress's picture

I love the new record. The Bigger Picture & Illumination Theory are my favorites.

Personally, I think the criticism of the drum "mix" or "sound" or "style", is a lot of passive aggressive complaining over Portnoy having been replaced. Maybe I'm wrong on that, and the CD you got is defective. I bought/downloaded it through Amazon and hear an impressive mix, not just of drums, but through and through.

Mangini is such a solid fit with this band. If you can't get on board then you're only depriving yourself. DT is making incredible music.

bhorv67's picture

Just got the CD and very much enjoyed the compositions, arrangements and approach to this new body of work This is great!

One comment I have is why does Mangini's drums sound so electronic? In particular, the snare. It sounds like he's either triggering something that's mixed too far over the acoustic drums or they're just way too compressed. To me it detracts from the rest of the sonic quality.

minime220220's picture

Mangini's snare is undoubtedly triggered. I just wish I could hear his actual snare. To be honest, I wish Mangini would switch to Tama drums that way DT still had the same type of drum sound. Those Pearl drums do not fit Dream Theater quite right.

Brenomirisola's picture

Ok an update for all who did not like the cd mixing. I downloaded a downmix from de dvd that comes in that special edition THAT IS NOT AAILABEL TO PURCHASE IN BRAZIL!! AND IT SOUNDS ALOT BETTER REALLY ALOT. The drum still sound a little bit eletronic but alot closer to what it sounded on "a dramatic turn of events"!!

Try it out!! who can buy the special edition, do it, cause the cd version sucks!!!

Brenomirisola's picture

Totally agree I thought I was going crazy when I heard it. It is outrageous to the fans who already have to deal with portnoy leaving the band. I love Mangini but cannot understand how they let this happen. At least we should not have this problem with a live version hopefully... This one i'm definitely not listening on a high end system..... And what kills me is that I loves the songs...

DTfan28's picture

I PREordered thw new album, I'm hoping it arrives TODAY (official release daye) or else i'm gonna might PISSED!!! i could've just gone to any store and picked it up!!!

Does anyone know when they actually SHIP?? I ordered straight form this site!!

JeffG94110's picture

If you didn't receive an e-mail from Roadrunner with the link for the digital download of the album, you can sign into your account at shop.roadrunnerrecords.com and there should be a link for the digital download. It seems like the physical products were shipped last week (I have seen posts from people who got theirs as early as last Friday, and mine arrived yesterday). If you have trouble, there is a "Get satisfaction" method of contacting Roadrunner on their site under "Feedback." I had some trouble a couple weeks ago when I didn't get a confirmation e-mail and couldn't sign onto the site, but the good folks at Roadrunner eventually got it straightened out for me. (There is also a reply to a thread I started in Banter and Brawl called "Is anyone else having trouble with Roadrunner Records website from an employee of Roadrunner, who was very helpful). Hope your physical package arrives today!

GJE's picture

I find the 5.1 DVD very good mixed......i prefer it.
And it becomes better and better the more you listen to it.
Mike M did a very good job, he fits in DT.

Qualeen's picture

I listened to the first 4 songs on metalunderground.com, but I'm gonna wait with the rest until I get my own CD. IMO "The Enigma Machine" sounds great, it's something between "Stream of Consciousness" and "Erotomania" :)

NWill's picture

Greetings to all.It's 3:45 am and I'm on my fifth journey through the new release. Wow! I like many of you have been a fan forever. MP's departure had me worried about the direction of this great band. I worry no longer as this is as strong a release as anything they have done. I have come to appreciate their willingness to keep moving and take chances. I think what I have come to enjoy is the fact that the music becomes more listenable (is that a word?) with each session. The breadth and scope of this release will make new fans, young and old alike. Truly the hallmark of a great band. I'm 53 and I can honestly say DT will be played in my home until I am no longer. Thanks guys for making my life so much more enjoyable.

fb_chris_morris's picture

I'm a 46 African-American that has been listening to DT since 96. My boss back then turned me on to them. I must say that I'm really digging this album. It's right behind Images and words and Scenes From a Memory for me. I don't listen to rap/hip-hop, or whatever the kids call it theses days. I'm also a fan of Depeche Mode if you can believe that. Can't wait to download it to my S4 and get the CD/DVD. Even though I liked Mike P, I'm also enjoying Mangini. Seen the new lineup twice and still enjoy seeing them live. Being a bass player, you know that Myung is my guy....Always watch out for the quiet ones.

bigredheadone's picture

Love the new CD!!! I have listened to it a dozen times now. Can't wait until I have a copy in my hands.
BTW I think Mike Mangini is a great drummer. Don't get me wrong, I loved Mike Portnoy too, but he made the decision to leave the band, so let's move on everyone. Mike Mangini seems to be a really nice guy, and is the bands drummer now. Give the dude a break. Kudos Double M, I for one really appreciate your contributions to the band. Beat the hide of those skins Bro!

mcmack2501's picture

I've been listening to the stream on RollingStone.com and loving it.

olddtfan51's picture

Yep you beat me LOL I am 57.

fb_norman_ottley's picture

Dear luanneadams and olddtfan51 I beat both of you, I'm 63 and i discovered DT about 10 years ago and they have been my favourite band since, i can't wait for the new cd and dvd.

bigredheadone's picture

I am also 57 and recently became a DT fan. Always heard of them, but not actually heard them.
One day I was cranking Iron Maiden on a streaming music site, and there was a recommendation that I may like Dream Theater. WOW! It turns out I like DT better than Iron Maiden (no offense Steve and company, I still love ya).
I have only been a fan for about a year now, but I almost have everything they recorded. I feel robbed of all the years that I could have been enjoying DT's music. I too cannot wait for the new CD and DVD.

olddtfan51's picture

Well i have pre orderd my copy of the new album how many of you are.

RobertoPortnoy's picture

We all know Mangini druming ,and its quite bored when i compare to MP and after I saw new video for new album 2013 DT is losing moment of surprise .
Mike Portnoy - his magic passion makes DT special.
Please come back DT to your true original formation . R

StevEvil's picture

Looking forward to some new DT!

Jorge Armando's picture

Yeah, yeah, yeaaaaaaaaaaaah!!!

countess_drummer's picture

Sooo very excited to hear their new album :D

olddtfan51's picture

luanneadams I am 57 now so we are not that far apart in age I havn't met the guy I hope to when they tour for this album.

luanneadams's picture

@olddtfan51: And... Rich Wilson may have the 3rd edition of his Dream Theater bio out soon. What a wonderful year to come!!!!!!!!!!!!!! and I may have you beat as the oldest fan, at least birthday wise. I am 61 and my life was made when I met the guys in Austin almost a year ago. I will never forget it and how kind all of them were!

Phrygian Sunshine's picture

This is such cool new! The announcement says that this album will be a "milestone" and I get the feeling that that will prove to be true. The fact that it will be called "Dream Theater" is excellent. The promo photo is cool. With a new studio album, a new live DVD, and a solo James album all being released at roughly the same time, I'm thinking that this will be the Golden Age of Dream Theater!

olddtfan51's picture

Wow a new studio album live DVD and James Labrie solo album come out in August.

Samchicky's picture

:)

Blackavar's picture

I hope the tracklist is revealed soon (a few days from now), along with a new single perhaps a month or so from now.

Phrygian Sunshine's picture

Really looking forward to this! Congratulations DT!

drop2d's picture

Would have loved to hear a few snippets of new music in there, but regardless - still very excited!!

northy's picture

Live DVD. New studio Album. World Tour.....................As we say in Manchester......."BUZZIN".

Pages