Skip directly to content

Dream Theater's NEW New album

• Dream Theater's NEW New album
    June 12, 2012 - 11:16am

So i saw a video of petrucci saying that DT have already started writing the new album!

But is there anymore info ?? Like sneek peeks or anything ?

\,,/Drummerboy\,,/'s picture
on June 12, 2012 - 11:16am

So i saw a video of petrucci saying that DT have already started writing the new album!

But is there anymore info ?? Like sneek peeks or anything ?

Forum category: 
Andreas Cambrand's picture

Really looking forward to the new album, especially now that we know for a fact that Mike will be writing with the rest of the guys. I think JP recently confirmed that once and for all in an interview which means they won't be writing it ADToE-style after all (without a drummer).

I'm hoping for a record in which the melodies get their chance to really shine. Personally I'm hoping for the kind of songwriting that gave birth to Scenes From A Memory but of course I'm open to whatever the guys have in store for us. :)

4t6 and 2's picture

I can't wait for yet another great album from the boys.
I am excited, yet a little bothered that I did not get to see the band on ADTOE. I haven't missed a DT tour since Images.
Did they cut this one short because of the signing and recording gig or did I just miss them in Denver? I was REALLY looking forward to seeing the new lineup. I invested in the whole video drummer auditions and was happy to see the new addition (I pulled for him) ((still sad to know MP is no longer with the band)).

Thoughts's picture

Well that is a good sign that James would be up for a concept album. Do you have a link so I can listen/read the interview?

The biggest barrier DT had mentioned in the past is that they got tired of playing through Scenes over and over again on tour. If the did a concept album again everyone would expect the whole thing on tour. I guess it would get kind of old after awhile. Still, I think they are at their best with the concept album. A Change of Seasons, Scenes, Six Degrees...need I say more?

George Elliot's picture

I agree with Thoughts, I would love to see them do another concept album, either way, I can't wait to see what Mike brings to the table. I just hope they get a different mixer. I really like ADToE but I am not a fan of the soft-rounded-edges-with-puffy-clouds mixing job. I like my metal sound with a sharp edge. The only other album of theirs that I didn't like the mixing job was FII.

Adam Mitchell's picture

James has said that he would like to do another concept album, dunno if it will be the next album or not though

Thoughts's picture

I would love to see a concept album. I was just listening to Scenes again and I was struck by the depth and artistry. I think the concept album brings out the best in them.

Niels B's picture

Some time ago, Mike wrote on facebook that he would "do some filming on the DT-kit before recording for the new DT-album" in 2013

Thoughts's picture

Anyone hear any updates on the plans for the new album?

TXdrummerboy's picture

I'm torn here. As much as I'd like to see new stuff from them, (sooner rather than later) they do need a break as they've been touring intensely for ADTOE.

SixdgramatichaosOnachristmasmorning's picture

Yea it would be 2013- Every other year (2003, 2005, 2007, 2009, 2011...)

Adam Mitchell's picture

[quote=Niels B]Wow! So that means the new album may be out during 2013! [/quote]

Yep, it could indeed :D

Niels B's picture

Wow! So that means the new album may be out during 2013!

comment's picture

Don't know, but they started it during the Asian leg of the Dramatic tour. If you find anything please post it though I wanna hear the new album with MM as a "full" member.