Skip directly to content

DT lineup scenario

• DT lineup scenario
    October 28, 2011 - 1:00am

O.K. First of all…thanks for bothering to open this.
    I was just thinking, hypothetically, perhaps on down the road awhile, what if an opportunity presented itself for DT and their management to re-vamp their lineup. Not that there’s a single thing wrong, or less-entertaining with the current configuration!
    Say MP was to rejoin the band but…here’s the cool part…Mangini was kept in the lineup. That’s right, a double-drum lineup of the band. There could be an extended drum duet segment (providing breaks for other members) and there could be various rhythmic interpretations of the band catalogue. The possibilities could be endless!
    Then , I was thinking, why not take it up a notch. Why not have Sherinian return as well. (Please don’t bother labeling me a Kev-basher or Kev-dismisser by not mentioning him).
    I don’t know about you people, but I would most certainly pay a higher ticket price for a 7 member lineup of the band like this. They could put on a 3 hour plus show with all the members getting a break at various points. Different configurations of the band could also perform different works.
    Of course, an obstacle could be finding a venue big enough to hold such a show every other night, particularly in North America. Fitting 2 drum sets and 2 keyboard rigs could prove a challenge to crew and possibly promoters. Another could be the fact that the band/management would have to split the spoils more ways. Perhaps there would be no financial incentive for such a change.
    But…I’d love to see that show.
    I don’t know. It’s just an idea that popped in my head and I wanted to share it with you people to see what you thought. I personally would like to see more of the Mangini lineup in the studio and in concert before the next lineup change

Ytsejammin's picture
on October 28, 2011 - 1:00am

O.K. First of all…thanks for bothering to open this.
I was just thinking, hypothetically, perhaps on down the road awhile, what if an opportunity presented itself for DT and their management to re-vamp their lineup. Not that there’s a single thing wrong, or less-entertaining with the current configuration!
Say MP was to rejoin the band but…here’s the cool part…Mangini was kept in the lineup. That’s right, a double-drum lineup of the band. There could be an extended drum duet segment (providing breaks for other members) and there could be various rhythmic interpretations of the band catalogue. The possibilities could be endless!
Then , I was thinking, why not take it up a notch. Why not have Sherinian return as well. (Please don’t bother labeling me a Kev-basher or Kev-dismisser by not mentioning him).
I don’t know about you people, but I would most certainly pay a higher ticket price for a 7 member lineup of the band like this. They could put on a 3 hour plus show with all the members getting a break at various points. Different configurations of the band could also perform different works.
Of course, an obstacle could be finding a venue big enough to hold such a show every other night, particularly in North America. Fitting 2 drum sets and 2 keyboard rigs could prove a challenge to crew and possibly promoters. Another could be the fact that the band/management would have to split the spoils more ways. Perhaps there would be no financial incentive for such a change.
But…I’d love to see that show.
I don’t know. It’s just an idea that popped in my head and I wanted to share it with you people to see what you thought. I personally would like to see more of the Mangini lineup in the studio and in concert before the next lineup change

Forum category: 
Daso's picture

They did that similar thing you're talking about in When Dream and Day Reunite, two singers, two keyboardists. It was, well, decent, but not amazing. Maybe if they did it now it could be amazing. Don't know really. I kind of agree, but only if there's KM in the show as well.

johncal's picture

I like it just the way it is and couldn't care less to see them all together. They did something like this before. You can find the video on youtube. No big deal in my opinion.

Soulfire's picture

I think it's a possibility a looong way down the line (5 years +) as like a one off show thing, but they wouldn't do it permanently or for a whole tour. It would definitely be very cool to see. I'd love to have every member of DT on one stage; so the one's you mentioned plus Kevin, Charlie... hell even Chris Collins. That'd be great for a one off show, but they'd never do it any longer than that.

And the relationships between a lot of the former bandmates are iffy sometimes. Kevin doesn't want anything to do with the band, Portnoy and the rest of them are still on sour terms.... while Sherinian kept in touch with Portnoy and Petrucci, according to an interview I read apparently he didn't sit comfortably with the rest of the band, not sure why. Charlie Dominici's all good so far as i know. And I suppose with Derek he did come back to do the When Dream and Day Reunite show so it can't be too bad. I've got no idea as far as relations with Chris Collins go.