Skip directly to content

The Enemy Inside.

• The Enemy Inside.
    August 20, 2013 - 4:25pm

So, now that we got to listen to the new single from Dream Theater, what do you think?
    I was pleasantly surprised by this track. Instead of a lengthy intro that first track DT songs usually have, this one just jumps right into pure heavy fast guitar riffs. Then the drumming starts and I want to say, I am please with how Mangini's drumming sounds on this song. It feels like he's able to express his creativeness better than he was able to on A Dramatic Turn of Events. The intro itself is filled with crazy time bending riffs that's hard to fallow at first but that's what I love about it. I want a song that makes me think. then Verse 1 starts with the ---- ---- -------- thing that they come up with. At first it sounds like the beats are in one place but then the rest of the band joins in and now you know where the beats are. There's a word for that, I forget what it's called but I know Tool has done it in AEnema.
    the rest speaks for itself. Overall it's a really energized crazy song that really gets me pumped up and it leaves me with high hopes for the rest of the album.
    In an article, the person who rote it described the last 22 min track as a twisty turny songs with a lot of twists and turns. As creative as that description was, it does get me wondering what that song will sound like.
    What do you guys think of the song? Want to compare it to anything on ADToE? Does it get you even more excited for the album than you already were?

Ytsejam58's picture
on August 20, 2013 - 4:25pm

So, now that we got to listen to the new single from Dream Theater, what do you think?
I was pleasantly surprised by this track. Instead of a lengthy intro that first track DT songs usually have, this one just jumps right into pure heavy fast guitar riffs. Then the drumming starts and I want to say, I am please with how Mangini's drumming sounds on this song. It feels like he's able to express his creativeness better than he was able to on A Dramatic Turn of Events. The intro itself is filled with crazy time bending riffs that's hard to fallow at first but that's what I love about it. I want a song that makes me think. then Verse 1 starts with the ---- ---- -------- thing that they come up with. At first it sounds like the beats are in one place but then the rest of the band joins in and now you know where the beats are. There's a word for that, I forget what it's called but I know Tool has done it in AEnema.
the rest speaks for itself. Overall it's a really energized crazy song that really gets me pumped up and it leaves me with high hopes for the rest of the album.
In an article, the person who rote it described the last 22 min track as a twisty turny songs with a lot of twists and turns. As creative as that description was, it does get me wondering what that song will sound like.
What do you guys think of the song? Want to compare it to anything on ADToE? Does it get you even more excited for the album than you already were?

Forum category: 
Jorge Armando's picture

@First Memeber: Hey bud, how's it going? Everything's just fine south of the border. Lots of work and lots of really cold beer afterwards, lol.
Really nice hearing from you and, I agree, ADTOE meant a huge change until we found out Mangini didn't have any input into what the creative process of the concept was to be. This time MUST be different and I'm pretty sure it'll be that way. Hey, a month from now we should be able to find out eh?
Take care mate!!!

First Memeber's picture

@Jorge Armando: Hay Jorge, how it going, I haven't left you a message in a while, hows everything on the home front. I hear change in direction of the new song, It seemed that way for ADTOE as well. I am always open to change, like the ever expanding universe. OK take care now, party on. @First Member

Ytsejam58's picture

Oh, I believe the term I was referring to before is called a Hemiola.

Jorge Armando's picture

I'm holding high hopes for this upcoming abum. Seems to me it's gonna be an epic one, now that Mangini added his own flavour to the whole thing. TEI is an intense, heavy track and the best news, at least for me, is the mix. You really get to hear the drums in this song!!!! (There goes my comparation to anything related to ADTOE). Meaning, the whole album is gonna sound the same. Can't wait to get my hands on this little rascal.