Skip directly to content

An Evening With...

• An Evening With...
    September 15, 2011 - 11:09pm

I miss these formats. Both times I've seen DT, they have been evening with shows, and I think they are waaaaaaay better than the normal opener/headliner format. I just feel like you get more bang for you buck, especially with DT. I mean, a 90 minute DT show probably gets you only 10-12 songs. Whereas with An Evening With show, you get 90 minutes of DT, a fifteen minute pee break, then another 90 minutes. Perfect for DT and their style/long song format. I don't know, maybe I'm being selfish???

Awake79's picture
on September 15, 2011 - 11:09pm

I miss these formats. Both times I've seen DT, they have been evening with shows, and I think they are waaaaaaay better than the normal opener/headliner format. I just feel like you get more bang for you buck, especially with DT. I mean, a 90 minute DT show probably gets you only 10-12 songs. Whereas with An Evening With show, you get 90 minutes of DT, a fifteen minute pee break, then another 90 minutes. Perfect for DT and their style/long song format. I don't know, maybe I'm being selfish???

Forum category: 
FireHeart's picture

I agree with you. DT have a lot of long songs, and all songs are some kind of introspective experience. To be in a confortable place makes the experience amazing. If this is to be selfish, than I am too! And what can I say? Take me as I am...

[quote=Awake79]I miss these formats. Both times I've seen DT, they have been evening with shows, and I think they are waaaaaaay better than the normal opener/headliner format. I just feel like you get more bang for you buck, especially with DT. I mean, a 90 minute DT show probably gets you only 10-12 songs. Whereas with An Evening With show, you get 90 minutes of DT, a fifteen minute pee break, then another 90 minutes. Perfect for DT and their style/long song format. I don't know, maybe I'm being selfish???[/quote]

DTfan28's picture

I would LOVE to have DT play "An evening with..." again...
In fact I would love for them to do TWO nights (In Toronto, James' hometown) so that they might cover a new classic album (Rush perhaps!??!?)

Wingnut1991's picture

The "Evening With" tours were absolutely the best I have ever seen. One of the most impressive things was seeing them on back to back nights in Anaheim at The Grove and next night in Hollywood at The Pantages Theater on the Score/Octavarium Tour. They played similar but not identical set lists, on 4 songs were repeated from one show to the next!

This tour with Trivium opening is a good fit. Trivium did a good job getting the crowd revved up despiite so technical issues. One thing that is very evident the guys in Trivium are huge Dream Theater fans and they pay a lot of respect to them during their set. As far as I’m concerned they are the best supporting act I’ve seen with Dream Theater since Spock’s Beard way back in 2000. Not including the tour that they co-headlined with Queensryche!

On a side note, I’ve had the opportunity to see them perform as the opening act for both Yes and Iron Maiden, in both cases I wish the roles were reversed and Dream Theater headlined, in fact Iron Maiden’s set was so bad I actually left the show liking them less. I guess it’s hard following such a dynamic band such as Dream Theater. I remember on the Gigantour, I was so bored with Megadeth that I left after about 3 or 4 songs.

Damn you Dream Theater for setting the bar so high!

Sebastiandaq's picture

I'd love to see them playing An evening with concert again...

Maybe they can select a limited numbers of avenues...

metaldad's picture

Those were the best shows. They need to do it agian. I have Zero intrest in Trivium

Awake79's picture

[quote=KirksNoseHair]When I saw them in Boston in support of Six Degrees of Inner Turbulence, it was one of the "An Evening With" shows and it stands as one of the best concert experiences of my life.

This year, they're touring with Trivium, who I have no interest in at all[/quote]

YES!!! I saw them on the same tour. Amazing show! Best arrangement of UAGM I've heard.

KirksNoseHair_2's picture

When I saw them in Boston in support of Six Degrees of Inner Turbulence, it was one of the "An Evening With" shows and it stands as one of the best concert experiences of my life.

This year, they're touring with Trivium, who I have no interest in at all

SongQuester's picture

[quote=Obryn]In the behind the scenes footage within the "Chaos in Motion" DvD, they actually say that doing so many "Evening With..." shows was becoming very tiresome, especially since they like to do "Meet and Greets" with the fans afterward. Playing the intense music they play for 3 hours straight has to be physically EXHAUSTING! I commend those guys for every doing them at all, hell, I probably wouldn't last an hour before passing out on stage from exhaustion![/quote]

Exactly I miss those as well but man that some insane music to play for 3 hours. Takes a lot of Starbucks to get through that.

Obryn's picture

In the behind the scenes footage within the "Chaos in Motion" DvD, they actually say that doing so many "Evening With..." shows was becoming very tiresome, especially since they like to do "Meet and Greets" with the fans afterward. Playing the intense music they play for 3 hours straight has to be physically EXHAUSTING! I commend those guys for every doing them at all, hell, I probably wouldn't last an hour before passing out on stage from exhaustion!

Catcher10's picture

I think it depends on the city they are in. If its a heavily popular DT market then it works. If its not then they may need the opening act to help draw in new fans.
Also its a way for the band to help new upcoming artists.