Skip directly to content

First singer for DT?

• First singer for DT?
    September 19, 2012 - 9:58pm

He said his name was bill? And had an adjoining story to go with it saying his nose was cut off, and could no longer sing. He said he was replaced by James LaBrie. So that's on little flaw in the story... What happened to Charlie? Anyways, can someone either confirm or deny this. I would be really interested to know if this is true or not. There's a lot of liars out there and I'm not sure whether or not I should call this guy. If anyone knows John or Mike M, or even Mike P, if it wouldn't be too much trouble to ask. I would really appreciate it. :)

Coolman_89048's picture
on September 19, 2012 - 9:58pm

He said his name was bill? And had an adjoining story to go with it saying his nose was cut off, and could no longer sing. He said he was replaced by James LaBrie. So that's on little flaw in the story... What happened to Charlie? Anyways, can someone either confirm or deny this. I would be really interested to know if this is true or not. There's a lot of liars out there and I'm not sure whether or not I should call this guy. If anyone knows John or Mike M, or even Mike P, if it wouldn't be too much trouble to ask. I would really appreciate it. :)

Forum category: 
JeffG94110's picture

Coolman:

If you get a chance, check out the SCORE DVD. Disc 2 features a documentary on DT called, The Score So Far... It follows the band from Petrucchi and Myung going to Berklee and meeting Portnoy to the recording and touring of Octavarium in 2005. It will take you through all of the lineup changes (except Mangini replacing Portnoy, which took place several years after the Score So Far documentary was made and is covered in The Spirit Carries On documentary), explaining who each member is and why they left/were replaced, etc. It has tons of great information.

Once Petrucci, Myung and Portnoy got together, they wanted a singer and keyboard player and found two guys that had grown up with Petrucci and Myung: Kevin Moore on Keys and Chris Collins on Vocals. Collins didn't last long and was replaced by Charlie Dominici, who sang on When Day and Dream Unite (the first DT album). Then LaBrie replaced him while the band was working on Images and Words (second album) and has been with them ever since.

Coolman_89048's picture

Wow man, thanks. If you don't mind me asking, how do you know this?

lak89's picture

No, he was before Dominici and LaBrie, he sang with them in 1986.

Coolman_89048's picture

Ok, so he was after Dominici but before LaBrie. Would that make sense?

Callahan's picture

Chris Collins was the "first" singer for DT if memory serves. It's been awhile since I read Lifting Shadows.