Skip directly to content

Folk Music

• Folk Music
    October 13, 2011 - 11:27am

Is anyone on here into folk music at all, i kind of got into it through firstly listening to prog rock, hearing snippets of flute and mandolin here and there and so from listening to progressive bands, i branched into listening to folk as well, something i never thought i'd be into when i was younger.
    Some of the folk artist i enjoy and recommend are Pentangle, a bluesy/jazzy folk band from the late sixties, early seventies, mostly accoustic based, brilliant guitar solo's. An 18 minute opus called Jack O'rion is one of the best songs ever recorded i believe.
    Another is Loreena Mckennitt a canadian singer/songwriter, who started off very celtic based but now makes albums that have a complete mixture of celtic/arabic textures flowing through the songs, sort of almost together, kind of sounds odd, but actually works.
    Also there's Neo-folk bands such as White Willow and Faune who have what could be described as a medievil sound and are like prog-folk, if it exists.
    Anyway if anyone is into folk music, or anybody fancies trying something a little different, then these are worth a go. Think mists in the forest, Lord Of The Rings and Game Of Thrones etc, that paints a picture for you.

The Forsaken's picture
on October 13, 2011 - 11:27am

Is anyone on here into folk music at all, i kind of got into it through firstly listening to prog rock, hearing snippets of flute and mandolin here and there and so from listening to progressive bands, i branched into listening to folk as well, something i never thought i'd be into when i was younger.
Some of the folk artist i enjoy and recommend are Pentangle, a bluesy/jazzy folk band from the late sixties, early seventies, mostly accoustic based, brilliant guitar solo's. An 18 minute opus called Jack O'rion is one of the best songs ever recorded i believe.
Another is Loreena Mckennitt a canadian singer/songwriter, who started off very celtic based but now makes albums that have a complete mixture of celtic/arabic textures flowing through the songs, sort of almost together, kind of sounds odd, but actually works.
Also there's Neo-folk bands such as White Willow and Faune who have what could be described as a medievil sound and are like prog-folk, if it exists.
Anyway if anyone is into folk music, or anybody fancies trying something a little different, then these are worth a go. Think mists in the forest, Lord Of The Rings and Game Of Thrones etc, that paints a picture for you.

Forum category: 
alembicjacko's picture

i'm a huge fan of kathryn Tickell, the virtuoso Northumbrian piper. Been listening to her since her early days doing the country pubs up here. Kate Rusby is another musician well worth a listen to. it doesn't hurt that both are good looking too :)

Earthling2112's picture

I'm a big fan of folk artist Mindy Smith. She has the voice of an angel. look her up on youtube. check out these songs. you'll thank me.

down in flames
Hurricane
Raggedy Ann