Skip directly to content

Frequently asked questions/getting around initial quirks with this message board

• Frequently asked questions/getting around initial quirks with this message board
    September 8, 2011 - 9:14pm

Apparently things are off to a slightly shaky start here with some small (but quite annoying) issues.

1. "My avatar won't load"

It takes a few minutes but it should eventually load, just not instantly.

2. "I didn't quote that post"

The quote button is strangely at the bottom of the posts instead of being above it like I'm more accustomed to seeing on message boards. I'm fine with it either way but I've seen a few other misquotes so changing it to being at the top may be best.

3. Username issues

Chino couldn't use his name at first but now can. I noticed we also have AlphaChino here as well so perhaps whatever setting in the code for this system that helps avoid multiple members using the same name is set a tad too sensitively and could use some tweeking.

That's all I have for now but hopefully this thread can help us hit the ground running and avoid chasing away potentially awesome members whom get frustrated by the bugs. Cool layout for the site anyway and I'm pretty stoked for the future of this community.

black_floydDTF's picture
on September 8, 2011 - 9:14pm

Apparently things are off to a slightly shaky start here with some small (but quite annoying) issues.

1. "My avatar won't load"

It takes a few minutes but it should eventually load, just not instantly.

2. "I didn't quote that post"

The quote button is strangely at the bottom of the posts instead of being above it like I'm more accustomed to seeing on message boards. I'm fine with it either way but I've seen a few other misquotes so changing it to being at the top may be best.

3. Username issues

Chino couldn't use his name at first but now can. I noticed we also have AlphaChino here as well so perhaps whatever setting in the code for this system that helps avoid multiple members using the same name is set a tad too sensitively and could use some tweeking.

That's all I have for now but hopefully this thread can help us hit the ground running and avoid chasing away potentially awesome members whom get frustrated by the bugs. Cool layout for the site anyway and I'm pretty stoked for the future of this community.

Forum category: 
Soulfire's picture

Also no way to tell which threads you've read and haven't read!! Sooooo frustrating having to log on each time and manually go through EVERY thread until you find a last post that you've read already.

Fiat Lux's picture

[quote=Orbert]No way to see which threads you've posted in. No way to go to the first unread post in a thread. [/quote]

These are the two things I have the biggest problem with.

cheers

Soulfire's picture

I lolled at the Lenny Kravitz thing when that arrived in my inbox. I thought it was rather amusing..

And yes I have noticed a few bugs... Like not being able to access this website at all for the first couple of days in my country... But now it works.

And how the hell do I change my location?? I can't find a setting for that?

Callahan's picture

I had the same problem while posting the rules thread in the Recordings section Drex and I am the moderator and can't see those posts to approve them. Jeremy is out of town at the moment and I am sure this is on the top of his list to look in to once he returns.

Drex's picture

I have tried multiple times to start a new thread with some lyrical analysis. Each time it says "awaiting moderation" and then never gets posted. Are they too long? There is nothing offensive in the thread so I cannot imagine that it is somehow not being allowed for that reason...Should I try again? I did not want to have 4-5 of the same threads all of a sudden pop up after a couple of days or something.

Dave52's picture

I've found it very difficult to stay logged in unfortunately. Yes, I'm ticking the "remember me for 30 days" checkbox. It's seems quite random too. I've had to log in to post this, but yesterday it remembered me.

Is it because I log in from different computers/devices? Mac at home, Windows7 at work and my Android phone?

Orbert's picture

I'm sorry, but the forum software here completely blows. No user control panel. No way to see which threads you've posted in. No way to go to the first unread post in a thread. No way to subscribe to threads.

Even Simple Machines is better than this. Why make the move to host discussion forums on your site, then choose some obviously untested, bug-riddled, feature-barren software? There's free software out there with better features than this.

Jeremy Rosen's picture

Most of what's described here was a combination of caching and DNS (and a couple of funky javascript things going on). The caching and javascript issues have been fixed and those fixes pushes live. The DNS also appears mostly to have resolved.

The Lenny Kravitz thing was a copypasta on my part followed by an incomplete save of a new file (also on my part). I've fixed that and removed any Dream Theater fans who signed up in the last two days from the Lenny Kravitz list.

chknptpie's picture

Edit option is now gone... Why the hell did I get an email welcoming me to the Lenny Kravitz Mailing list after joining here?

chknptpie's picture

Don't mind double post... edit is not showing up.

Looks like after new posts my awesome powers disappeared.

Also why do none of the threads appear different after I read them? And how do I got to new posts instead of the first page.

chknptpie's picture

[IMG]http://i29.photobucket.com/albums/c276/chknptpie/orbert.jpg[/IMG]

It appears that I have the power to delete your post Orbert...

Edit... hmm it now went away. Should have edited when I had the chance!

Orbert's picture

Triple post because I can't find the Edit button. Plaintext sig is gone, img sig not apparent. Hmmm.

Orbert's picture

Okay, my plaintext signature showed up, cleverly appended to my post with no indication that it's a signature. But maybe that's the idea. It doesn't seem to like my img one, though. I probably need to wait a while for it to update.

Orbert's picture

I don't see my signature, or anyone else's for that matter. There's usually a setting that allows you to see/hide signatures, avatars, etc., but I can't find it. If anyone has figured it out, please post. Thanks!

Hmmm... Alt-S doesn't post using this software. Actually have to click a button. [b]What is the world coming to?[/b]

DimitriusDTF's picture

Hmm... interesting, I don't know dude. I guess the forum needs to work out the kinks. (LOLCole.

ChinoDTF's picture

[quote=DimitriusDTF][quote=ChinoDTF]I can't figure out how to upload an Avatar, or how to edit a post.[/quote]The edit option is on the left hand side, below your username in the drop down window that appears when you click "Actions".

The avatar.... LOL[/quote]

Does not work. The actions button only appears under the last post of the thread. Lright now it's under your name

*edit*

Now itsunder my name. The only options are to delete the comment or edit it.

DimitriusDTF's picture

[quote=ChinoDTF]I can't figure out how to upload an Avatar, or how to edit a post.[/quote]The edit option is on the left hand side, below your username in the drop down window that appears when you click "Actions".

The avatar.... LOL

millahh's picture

Can we hide signatures?

I'm Not Nate's picture

Why is there no rules thread? Or mods, apparently?

ChinoDTF's picture

I can't figure out how to upload an Avatar, or how to edit a post.

I'm Not Nate's picture

[quote=ChinoDTF]How do I select an Avatar?[/quote]
HAHAHA OMG YOU'RE FUNNY

ChinoDTF's picture

How do I select an Avatar?

black_floydDTF's picture

I think you actually have to click on a link in that email to confirm it so unless you do that you shouldn't get and unwanted emails. To be sure just click the "unsubscribe" link on the lower left side of that email.

Rob Pond's picture

In what might be my favourite technical fault of all time, the second I verified my account I received an email informing me I was now subscribed to the Lenny Kravitz mailing list.

Ohhhh, gremlins. Never change.

black_floydDTF's picture

Also, if you edit your own post it isn't showing up instantly as of now so give it a minute or two.

I don't see any way to edit the post that started a thread yet. I looked at what I thought were all possible buttons but I couldn't find it. Any help?