Skip directly to content

Glad to have rediscovered Dream Theater.

• Glad to have rediscovered Dream Theater.
    October 15, 2011 - 10:05pm

It first started when I purchased Images and Words when it was first released. I fell in love with the album and bought Awake when it came out. I enjoyed those albums for many years and then for some reason I just quit listening to the band. Fastforward to 2011 and I happened to see the new album at my local cd shop. I bought it and haven't stopped listening since! I then went back and bought every album I had missed in between. Now here in 2011 after not listening to the band since the 90's, I have to say that Dream Theater is my favorite band. I am so glad I rediscovered Dream Theater!

Desultory's picture
on October 15, 2011 - 10:05pm

It first started when I purchased Images and Words when it was first released. I fell in love with the album and bought Awake when it came out. I enjoyed those albums for many years and then for some reason I just quit listening to the band. Fastforward to 2011 and I happened to see the new album at my local cd shop. I bought it and haven't stopped listening since! I then went back and bought every album I had missed in between. Now here in 2011 after not listening to the band since the 90's, I have to say that Dream Theater is my favorite band. I am so glad I rediscovered Dream Theater!

Forum category: 
tom69's picture

Dt is awesome been a fan since images and words

Dr Barnyard's picture

I had a similar experience. I enjoyed I & W in my mid-teens and for some reason decided to get SFAM a few years ago since I so enjoyed Met. Pt 1 and listened to it for years. Since then I have purchased 30 (so far) total studio, live, and bootleg albums. The new release is the first DT album for me to anticipate and buy when it came out. If I & W never got old in 15 years, I look forward to enjoying all of the other albums for many years to come.

Obryn's picture

I would really like to see a documentary movie be made similar to Rush's "Beyond the Lighted Stage" based off "Lifting Shadows..." But, DT still has a lot of story to be told...the Dream is far from over!

Keysman's picture

[quote=Desultory]@Keysman: Yes, I have been absorbing the albums daily. I ordered them all from amazon. Lots to listen to.[/quote]

Happy listening!! :D

Psygnosis99's picture

Apologize for typos, phone.

Psygnosis99's picture

If you haven't checkee it out try to get a copy of Lifting Shadows, an authorized biography by Rich Wilson. It really offers insight into how the band ticks and how much commercial BS they had to fight for a decade. With the inner problems and lack of support in any way from record labels, you com to realize how incredible it is this band is still around

Psygnosis99's picture

Their sound changes album to album but all of it is sonic candy!!

on_the_backs_of_ awesomeness's picture

i am also glad i discovered them. i personnal like their album scenes from a memory and i really love their song Forsaken.

Desultory's picture

@Keysman: Yes, I have been absorbing the albums daily. I ordered them all from amazon. Lots to listen to.

Keysman's picture

Welcome back to the family!! :)
Theres a lot of band history to catch up on since I+W.

Wolfpacker96's picture

Glad to have you back! Make sure you go back and review what you missed! IMHO they have progressively (no pun intended) gotten better over the years.