Skip directly to content

Grammy awards

• Grammy awards
    February 13, 2012 - 1:05pm

Dream Theater is a popular group, not because they get a lot of airtime on the radio but because they tour a lot and gather fans that appreciate their heavy and driving music and/or have enough musical knowledge to truly appreciate the incredible technical talent of the players, the intricate time changes and arrangements, the humanly relatable lyrical content as well as the overall feel of the music.

It is no surprise that when nominated for a grammy award they lose to the Foo Fighters. Arguably the FF don't even belong in the category, but they are a very popular band that gets a lot of air time. In general people have very simplistic views of music and the blatant superiority of the music of DT is something that they simply do not have the sophistication to recognize.

The Grammy awards are generally pop musicans patting each other on the back and convincing each other that they did a good job. It would be nifty if DT got the recognition too, but everyone familiar with them just knows, and a plaque or statue or pen and pencil set or whatever their trophy is does not change that knowing.

Rock on guys. You are the best there ever was.

rmjivaro's picture
on February 13, 2012 - 1:05pm

Dream Theater is a popular group, not because they get a lot of airtime on the radio but because they tour a lot and gather fans that appreciate their heavy and driving music and/or have enough musical knowledge to truly appreciate the incredible technical talent of the players, the intricate time changes and arrangements, the humanly relatable lyrical content as well as the overall feel of the music.

It is no surprise that when nominated for a grammy award they lose to the Foo Fighters. Arguably the FF don't even belong in the category, but they are a very popular band that gets a lot of air time. In general people have very simplistic views of music and the blatant superiority of the music of DT is something that they simply do not have the sophistication to recognize.

The Grammy awards are generally pop musicans patting each other on the back and convincing each other that they did a good job. It would be nifty if DT got the recognition too, but everyone familiar with them just knows, and a plaque or statue or pen and pencil set or whatever their trophy is does not change that knowing.

Rock on guys. You are the best there ever was.

Forum category: 
Brewtaco's picture

while i was very disappointed that dt didnt get the grammy, i wasnt too surprised. as others have said, ff are just more mainstream. But on the topic of whether the foo's qualify for the award, people seem to forget that it is best hard rock/metal performance. not just metal. it used to be primarily metal, but the grammy's are dumb and combined the two. whether or not the foo's are hard rock, idk, but the song that was nominated was at the very least. still wish it went to dt \m/

CONSTANTMOTION's picture

DT are too good for all those grammies & stuff, no?

comment's picture

The only footage I've seen is DT on the red carpet. Does anyone have any links to anything else?

comment's picture

@Skip63: Do you have link for this?

pleaseleavemealone's picture

A few years ago on Halloween night I had only 1 knock on the door. It was 2 teenage girls. I just so happened to be wearing my Systematic Chaos t-shirt when I opened the door. The girls did not say "trick or treat". They stared at my shirt as if hypnotized. Finally one said with excitement, "you know those guys"? I thought, this is completely cool...I get 1 knock on the door all night, and they're DT fans.

DT fans are unique. They seem to have this common magical connection.

As far as the Grammy's go, DT lost nothing. In fact, I think they actually won in more ways than many might consider. For years I have been telling people about DT. The vast majority never heard of them, and that's ok. But now that they have had the nomination, they also have more exposure. Now more people might say, "yea I've heard of DT, they are the guys that got nominated for a Grammy Award". In the Red Carpet interview, DT presented themselves very well.

The facts remain, DT is a stellar band making stellar music.

And by the way......the girls got all the candy.

Skip63's picture

Dave Grohl on beating Dream Theater:,[b] Despite his success and constant ear-to-ear smile, Grohl was feeling badly for Dream Theater. “We got it!” Grohl said about winning the Best Hard Rock / Metal Performance Grammy. “I feel so bad for the Dream Theater guys, because they actually had a metal performance, we didn’t, [/b]

comment's picture

Great post! I'm with you. The real "Grammy" for DT and fans is an incredible body of work that speaks for itself and it can't really be compared.

I haven't listened to anything pop/mainstream in over a decade and have never took an interest in the Grammy's until now... WHAT AN EYE OPENER!

skildude's picture

I was wuite surprised when I saw the FF band have best song in Metal and Rock. I'm scratching my head on that one. How do you win Best Rock album, best rock song, and then from the very same album get the best heavy metal song.

I like the FF but they really are more of Heavy lite. grunge even. I assume the folks that voted are the same ones that voted for a Jethro Tull Greatest hits album and ignored the Guns and Roses debut album. Just goes to show that some people just don't know what they are talking about.

Heck I would have given the Award to either Megadeth or DT. Both had very good songs and both deserve the attention. maybe when they start having metal fans vote on the best song they'll get it right

northy's picture

What a great post. You have said everything i was thinking. :D