Skip directly to content

Has Dream Theater Impacted Your Life?

• Has Dream Theater Impacted Your Life?
    November 23, 2011 - 9:10pm

Has DT changed or influenced anything about your life? what exactly was it or how?
    For me, if it wasn't for DT I wouldnt be a musician. Hearing "Wait For Sleep" instantly made me wanna learn how to play piano, I learned the notes and everything even though I didnt have one...Later I finally got one and thats the first song I learned. If it wasnt for them I wouldnt be a musician and probably wouldnt be the same person I am today. What about you guys?

guaty's picture
on November 23, 2011 - 9:10pm

Has DT changed or influenced anything about your life? what exactly was it or how?
For me, if it wasn't for DT I wouldnt be a musician. Hearing "Wait For Sleep" instantly made me wanna learn how to play piano, I learned the notes and everything even though I didnt have one...Later I finally got one and thats the first song I learned. If it wasnt for them I wouldnt be a musician and probably wouldnt be the same person I am today. What about you guys?

Forum category: 
OhSoInsane's picture

Overall DT has helped me fight any curveballs life would throw at me. Whether it be a sinking relationship, friendship, death, stress, etc, it doesn't matter. I put on some DT and my head is in a world of its own. Dream Theater is perfection in music, whether it be technical or emotional.

Philba1966's picture

For me, DT improved the overall quality of my life. I've repeatedly lamented on these posts being a late-comer to the band (3 years, though I first heard them in the early 90's). However, no need to dwell in the past. Bottom line is I love music and I love their music.

I have a very technical job and tough family life (financial stresses, HS & College age children). I struggle with depression and my exposure to DT couldn't have come at a better time. When I find myself spiraling out of control, I hope in the car & pop in the SDoIT suite, Octavarium or SFaM for something uplifting (and now ADToE). There's SC or TOT if I need a bit of a kick in the ass. Then I've got I&W or Awake for just good old school enjoyment.

Soulfire's picture

Dream Theater got me into prog with Octavarium. Nuff said really :P.

Oh and JR got me into synthesisers. Without listening to Dream Theater I definitely would never have picked up synths.