Skip directly to content

Hello!!!

• Hello!!!
    April 30, 2012 - 2:08pm

Hello, all you good people!! My name is Andie and I hail from Fla. I used to be on the boards on a regular basis, but then I got away from it and was off it for a long time. I don't know why I stayed away so long because DT is my absolute favorite band and anytime I can talk about them.....well, you know. I don't get to talk about them much with others, except my sis who is not a fan, so it's kinda hard to REALLY talk about them and their music in detail. I guess you can say I'm borderline-obsessive, but not to where I'm stalking them!!Ha!!

I've been listening to them since 1994 via my brother who is really into alot of music mostly metal. I wasn't into alot of the bands he was into but one day he was listening to DT in his bedroom. I just happened to walk by his room, heard them and I remember saying "my God, who is this??". He let me borrow I&W, then he got me the Awake CASSETTE for my birthday. For the longest time, those were the only 2 I was listening to. I just couldn't stop listening to them. Still to this day, Surrounded is my favorite song. I was just blown away by James' voice(I have a thing for lead singers) and the musicianship of this band was unbelievable, but I don't need to tell any of you that!!

So thanks for letting me introduce myself and I'm sorry for rambling on!!! When it comes to DT, it's not difficult for me.

InfectiouslyPerverted's picture
on April 30, 2012 - 2:08pm

Hello, all you good people!! My name is Andie and I hail from Fla. I used to be on the boards on a regular basis, but then I got away from it and was off it for a long time. I don't know why I stayed away so long because DT is my absolute favorite band and anytime I can talk about them.....well, you know. I don't get to talk about them much with others, except my sis who is not a fan, so it's kinda hard to REALLY talk about them and their music in detail. I guess you can say I'm borderline-obsessive, but not to where I'm stalking them!!Ha!!

I've been listening to them since 1994 via my brother who is really into alot of music mostly metal. I wasn't into alot of the bands he was into but one day he was listening to DT in his bedroom. I just happened to walk by his room, heard them and I remember saying "my God, who is this??". He let me borrow I&W, then he got me the Awake CASSETTE for my birthday. For the longest time, those were the only 2 I was listening to. I just couldn't stop listening to them. Still to this day, Surrounded is my favorite song. I was just blown away by James' voice(I have a thing for lead singers) and the musicianship of this band was unbelievable, but I don't need to tell any of you that!!

So thanks for letting me introduce myself and I'm sorry for rambling on!!! When it comes to DT, it's not difficult for me.

Forum category: 
ConstantDEVotion's picture

@Tapring: and @InfectiouslyPerverted: You guys are not alone lots of ladies at Cincinnati show that were singing along. I was shocked at the over all age of the crowd though. Considerably older than I would have thought. (oh well ,these young kids these days) The Meet & Greet rep at Cincy also said it was the largest Meet & Greet group he had seen.

[quote=Tapring]Yes, that's me and I totally hear ya about being lost in a sea of men at the DT shows! Ha! My sister and I are going to see them this summer and I'm going to buy a DT tank top to wear to it just so everyone knows I am there because I LOVE DREAM THEATER not because I'm tagging along with some boyfriend! I actually have several shirts already but now that they actually have GIRL shirts I have to get me one! I guess the female fan base is growing or they wouldn't have merchandise for us. :) Actually I think their entire base is growing - have you noticed that now they are selling these big meet & greet packages?? I remember back in the good old days when all you had to do was stand outside at the back of the club after a show and wait for them to come out! And a grammy nomination - woohoo, look at you guys! Oh well, I guess we have to share Dream Theater with the rest of the world if we must![/quote]

Yeah, I know what you mean about meeting them. The first time I met them was after the show out by the buses!!! Now these days, usually you can't get by the buses, for anybody anymore!! And those M&G packages, a couple years ago I was making good money so I would always get one whenever they toured. This tour, I thought I wouldn't be able to afford it, but I managed to get one anyway, even though I'm not making the money I was. Sometimes I think that I owe it to myself, and I need to treat myself once in a while, and especially when it comes to DT. They are one of the very, very few bands that I will spend the money that I have spent on them, between tickets, travel, merchandise, M&Gs, etc. And I know what you mean about their fan base growing. The first time I did M&G in 2004(I think), there were only 14 of us. That was awesome because you could just "mill around" and go from band member to band member, pretty casual. Now with more and more people getting into DT, the M&Gs have gotten bigger, so now it's a more uniformed thing, which kind of sucks in a way. I got a strategy to where I try to be near the end of the line, so I don't have 50 people behind me wanting to talk to them, too!!!

That 1st time that I mentioned I met them, I had broken my wrist and James, Jordan, and JP signed my cast!!! When I got the cast off, I asked it I could keep it, and I still have that cast sitting on my dresser!!!

Tapring's picture

Yes, that's me and I totally hear ya about being lost in a sea of men at the DT shows! Ha! My sister and I are going to see them this summer and I'm going to buy a DT tank top to wear to it just so everyone knows I am there because I LOVE DREAM THEATER not because I'm tagging along with some boyfriend! I actually have several shirts already but now that they actually have GIRL shirts I have to get me one! I guess the female fan base is growing or they wouldn't have merchandise for us. :) Actually I think their entire base is growing - have you noticed that now they are selling these big meet & greet packages?? I remember back in the good old days when all you had to do was stand outside at the back of the club after a show and wait for them to come out! And a grammy nomination - woohoo, look at you guys! Oh well, I guess we have to share Dream Theater with the rest of the world if we must!

Tapring, is that you in the profile pic? Just wondering if you were female because it's always nice to meet other female DT fans. I tell ya, they are few and far between(although in recent years I've noticed that the female fan base has grown a little). I am FB friends with 2 other females who are huge DT fans, that I can think of right off. Don't get me wrong, alot of the male DT fans are nice, too, at least the ones I meet at shows. But alot of times when I go to shows, I'm usually amongst a sea of male DT fans. Early on, it used to bug me whenever I did see a female at a DT show, she was usually "dragged" there by her husband/boyfriend, didn't know the music then was incredibly bored.

Tapring's picture

[quote=InfectiouslyPerverted]Still to this day, Surrounded is my favorite song. I was just blown away by James' voice[/quote]

Yes.

Tapring's picture

[quote=InfectiouslyPerverted]
Jeff, I love all those songs!! I have to admit, it took me a bit to "ingest" TCoT, but once I finally got it, I absolutely loved it, especially the beginning which totally rocks!!![/quote]

That's how I felt too. I loved the beginning the first time I heard it but I wasn't so sure about the rest of the song. Now whenever I pick up my iPod it's always the first thing I want to listen to!

[quote=comment][quote=InfectiouslyPerverted]Hello, all you good people!! My name is Andie and I hail from Fla. I used to be on the boards on a regular basis, but then I got away from it and was off it for a long time. I don't know why I stayed away so long because DT is my absolute favorite band and anytime I can talk about them.....well, you know. I don't get to talk about them much with others, except my sis who is not a fan, so it's kinda hard to REALLY talk about them and their music in detail. I guess you can say I'm borderline-obsessive, but not to where I'm stalking them!!Ha!!

So thanks for letting me introduce myself and I'm sorry for rambling on!!! When it comes to DT, it's not difficult for me.[/quote]

Welcome aboard Andie! [/quote]

Thank you, comment!!

[quote=JeffAsIAm]Sorry. Forgot to tell you This Is THe Life from ADTOE[/quote]

This is the Life is my 2nd favorite off of ADTOE, a close 2nd after Breaking All Illusions.

[quote=JeffAsIAm]Surrounded is a great song. You should also then enjoy The Count of Tuscany BC&SL, Lifting Shadows Off A Dream Awake, Take Away My Pain FII, Beneath The Surface ADTOE, or almost anything from disc 2 of Six Degrees of Inner Turbulence. While some of their songs are heavy, don't think of them as Metal, think of them as a journey worth taking.[/quote]

Jeff, I love all those songs!! I have to admit, it took me a bit to "ingest" TCoT, but once I finally got it, I absolutely loved it, especially the beginning which totally rocks!!! And I was just listening to the 2nd disc of Six Degrees the other day. The very first time I heard About to Crash(reprise) and Losing Time/Grand Finale was in concert(I didn't have 6 Degrees yet) and I fell in love with those songs right away. In fact, when I finally got the CD, I listened to the 2nd disc first. Actually it was those very songs that I listened to first. That's the great thing about DT, is that they have a little something for everybody.

comment's picture

[quote=InfectiouslyPerverted]Hello, all you good people!! My name is Andie and I hail from Fla. I used to be on the boards on a regular basis, but then I got away from it and was off it for a long time. I don't know why I stayed away so long because DT is my absolute favorite band and anytime I can talk about them.....well, you know. I don't get to talk about them much with others, except my sis who is not a fan, so it's kinda hard to REALLY talk about them and their music in detail. I guess you can say I'm borderline-obsessive, but not to where I'm stalking them!!Ha!!

So thanks for letting me introduce myself and I'm sorry for rambling on!!! When it comes to DT, it's not difficult for me.[/quote]

Welcome aboard Andie!

JeffAsIAm's picture

Sorry. Forgot to tell you This Is THe Life from ADTOE

JeffAsIAm's picture

Surrounded is a great song. You should also then enjoy The Count of Tuscany BC&SL, Lifting Shadows Off A Dream Awake, Take Away My Pain FII, Beneath The Surface ADTOE, or almost anything from disc 2 of Six Degrees of Inner Turbulence. While some of their songs are heavy, don't think of them as Metal, think of them as a journey worth taking.