Skip directly to content

How Dream Theater music has impacted my life

• How Dream Theater music has impacted my life
    November 19, 2011 - 8:38pm

Hi everyone. I'm kinda of new to posting on here but wanted to share my thoughts about how dt music has helped me. I'm sure everyone has a story about this so hopefully mine won't be cliche. I have been a dt fan for a long time and being a musician myself i often look for inspiration from their music regardless. It was just recently however that i discovered how impactful their music and perfromances are to my life outside of being a musician. I live in Washington state and the day dt came to play here in Seattle my wife lost her brother to a tragic car accident several states away. We debated wether to still go to the show as or not, but in the end decided to go as we know the band doesn't come here that often. While the show would have been more enjoyable surrrounding different circumstances it turned out to be a really great form of therapy for my wife and i. The songs and performance actually became part of the grieving process for me. Along with this i recently had to have a medical procedure done for a spinal condition i have. I was very nervous in anticipation of the pain during this procedure and was fighting anxiety over it. For some reason the morning of the procedure i awoke with "Bridges in the Sky" in my head. The chorus in particular kept repeating in my mind as i sat in the hospital waiting room. Soon i was on the operating table staring at the ceiling while the procedure was taking place. I had to be concsience for this particular procedure. All the while i kept hearing this particular song in my head and it actually kept me calm and whenever any pain would occur i was able to just refocus on the song. Before i knew it everything was complete and i was on my way home. So i guess i just wanted to share this and hope i dont sound like and idiot to all of you. I just think we lose sight of what is really important when it comes to the bands we like. I like many dt fans was stressed out over the drummer drama but i gotta say it just goes to show how close and important a band can be in your life. So in closing thanks for reading and hope you find this post interesting or at least bearable. Looking forward to more dt music and shows.

ibanezfan123's picture
on November 19, 2011 - 8:38pm

Hi everyone. I'm kinda of new to posting on here but wanted to share my thoughts about how dt music has helped me. I'm sure everyone has a story about this so hopefully mine won't be cliche. I have been a dt fan for a long time and being a musician myself i often look for inspiration from their music regardless. It was just recently however that i discovered how impactful their music and perfromances are to my life outside of being a musician. I live in Washington state and the day dt came to play here in Seattle my wife lost her brother to a tragic car accident several states away. We debated wether to still go to the show as or not, but in the end decided to go as we know the band doesn't come here that often. While the show would have been more enjoyable surrrounding different circumstances it turned out to be a really great form of therapy for my wife and i. The songs and performance actually became part of the grieving process for me. Along with this i recently had to have a medical procedure done for a spinal condition i have. I was very nervous in anticipation of the pain during this procedure and was fighting anxiety over it. For some reason the morning of the procedure i awoke with "Bridges in the Sky" in my head. The chorus in particular kept repeating in my mind as i sat in the hospital waiting room. Soon i was on the operating table staring at the ceiling while the procedure was taking place. I had to be concsience for this particular procedure. All the while i kept hearing this particular song in my head and it actually kept me calm and whenever any pain would occur i was able to just refocus on the song. Before i knew it everything was complete and i was on my way home. So i guess i just wanted to share this and hope i dont sound like and idiot to all of you. I just think we lose sight of what is really important when it comes to the bands we like. I like many dt fans was stressed out over the drummer drama but i gotta say it just goes to show how close and important a band can be in your life. So in closing thanks for reading and hope you find this post interesting or at least bearable. Looking forward to more dt music and shows.

Forum category: 
Phrygian Sunshine's picture

Glad to hear that everything worked out well for you. Thank you for sharing your story. Rock on!

Soulfire's picture

Great story man :) Of all the "dt has affected me in x ways" posts I've read on here, yours is definitely the best, most coherent and most meaningful i've read. I'm glad to see their music has been both a form of therapy and motivation in your life :).