Skip directly to content

John Petrucci Interview

• John Petrucci Interview
    December 10, 2013 - 1:49am

A nice EXCLUSIVE for you guys and DT fans, guitar master John Petrucci stopped by to talk to MGM about the new Dream Theater DVD Live at Luna Park, he's guitar wizardry, drummer Mike Mangini and more... Don't miss it!!!

"Robert: I though one of the greatest compliments that anyone can give to a band mate was what you said about Mike Margini on the DVD during the auditioning drummer, “that he not just playing Dream Theater he’s living it.”

John: We auditioned a lot of great drummers; every one of them was world class. We had a lot of fun playing with each of them and had some great jams. With Mike it was just something really special about what was going on. First and foremost, with everybody we wanted to see if they can pull off the songs, play them correctly, and that they it felt right musically. That’s something Mike did, it felt like the band. He really gets the style and delivers in a powerful metal way. He has all the techniques, chops, and sensibility, everything just flows musically. Over and above that there were a few things like his attitude and dedication to wanting to get everything exactly right as well as genuinely wanting the position. Not just wishy-washy “yeah if I get it great, if not ok too”. Personality wise, we are all kindred spirits. I’ve said this before; if we ever went to high school together we would have been friends. He is just one of us! We felt that immediate connect. He the right fit in on every level."

Credit: Robert Cavuoto

http://myglobalmind.com/2013/12/09/exclusive-interview-guitar-virtuoso-j...

adminglobalmind's picture
on December 10, 2013 - 1:49am

A nice EXCLUSIVE for you guys and DT fans, guitar master John Petrucci stopped by to talk to MGM about the new Dream Theater DVD Live at Luna Park, he's guitar wizardry, drummer Mike Mangini and more... Don't miss it!!!

"Robert: I though one of the greatest compliments that anyone can give to a band mate was what you said about Mike Margini on the DVD during the auditioning drummer, “that he not just playing Dream Theater he’s living it.”

John: We auditioned a lot of great drummers; every one of them was world class. We had a lot of fun playing with each of them and had some great jams. With Mike it was just something really special about what was going on. First and foremost, with everybody we wanted to see if they can pull off the songs, play them correctly, and that they it felt right musically. That’s something Mike did, it felt like the band. He really gets the style and delivers in a powerful metal way. He has all the techniques, chops, and sensibility, everything just flows musically. Over and above that there were a few things like his attitude and dedication to wanting to get everything exactly right as well as genuinely wanting the position. Not just wishy-washy “yeah if I get it great, if not ok too”. Personality wise, we are all kindred spirits. I’ve said this before; if we ever went to high school together we would have been friends. He is just one of us! We felt that immediate connect. He the right fit in on every level."

Credit: Robert Cavuoto

http://myglobalmind.com/2013/12/09/exclusive-interview-guitar-virtuoso-j...

Forum category: