Skip directly to content

Jp's solos

• Jp's solos
    September 28, 2011 - 3:14pm

Hi everyone!
    I was wondering...what's his best guitar solo in your opinion (including the ones from Suspended Animation)?
    I love the final part of The Ministry of Lost Souls, I started listening to them with this song...let me know :)

Ilaria's picture
on September 28, 2011 - 3:14pm

Hi everyone!
I was wondering...what's his best guitar solo in your opinion (including the ones from Suspended Animation)?
I love the final part of The Ministry of Lost Souls, I started listening to them with this song...let me know :)

Forum category: 
Keysman's picture

The solo at the end of Innocence Faded. :)

Wingnut1991's picture

Wow, tough question.

Under a Glass Moon was the solo that hooked me on Dream Theater.

Hollow Years from Budokan still gives me chills.

Surrounded from Chaos in Motion is one of his best, even though he throws in a little Pink Floyd

Tunnel Vision from Suspended Animation is amazing!

Lines in the Sand is some of his best work.

Okay, I have no idea which is my favorite.

Batur Togay's picture

Breaking All Illusions right now

AngelBackDTF's picture

The ones he plays on guitar.....

or

Any solo where he puts his foot up on his monitor......

or, better yet,

Hollow Years LAB. I have watched it at least 100 times and I still come away shaking my head.

Wolfpacker96's picture

Breaking all Illusions is my favorite at the moment. Just can't quit playing that song. Haven't felt this good about a DT song since the Awake album. I feel like a kid again! And my family thinks I'm insane! :)

floyducci's picture

HOW MANY WORDS MAY I WRITE????
I'LL TRY:
1) THE FINAL SOLOS OF OCTAVARIUM(live score)
2) THE END OF IN THE NAME OF GOD
3) BEYOUND THIS LIFE (live Budokan)
4) LINES IN THE SAND
5) BREAKING ALL ILLUSIONS (I MEAN THE PART FROM 0:00 TO 12:42) ha ha ha ha
6)LOST NOT FORGOTTEN 1st & 2nd solo
7) WISHFUL THINKING( FROM SUSPENDED ANIMATION: the final part )
8) REPEANTANCE (do you forget??????)
9) THE BEST OF TIMES (final solo)
10)UNDER A GLASS MOON
11) AFTERLIFE
12) IN THE PRESENCE OF ENEMIES (pt.1)
13) all AGE OF IMPACT -EXPLORERS CLUB solos
14) every solos of JESUS JOHN PETRUCCI

Nick Stevens's picture

Petrucci's got so many great solos! One of my personal favorites has got to be the bluesy one on "Breaking All Illusions." It's got a weird Pink-Floyd-meets-Joe-Satriani sound to it, and it's melodically superb. As far as shred-oriented solos go, however, some of my favorites are on "As I Am" and "Fatal Tragedy." Those two both have a great melody that carries throughout while simultaneously cramming in an insane amount of notes.

Daso's picture

I think my favorite is Take the Time (Live in Tokyo)'s ending is my favorite.

Ilaria's picture

[quote=Stupiful]I wish someday you guys would play Shattered Fortress live. I know it might be impossible now that MP's gone, but hey, maybe one day he'll be in the audience and you could play the whole suite for him. As a tribute, to put aside any hard feelings that may or may not (damn the media) exist between you.

Just a thought. :D[/quote]

Or maybe one day they will make a reunion for some shows...that's what I hope because I have never saw MP live!
And I like the way you interpreted the solo!! :)

Stupiful's picture

Some of JP's great melody-driven ones are Lines in the Sand, Breaking All Illusions, Count of Tuscany's beginning and end...there are just so many. I don't understand those folks that say he's just a shredmaster and has no soul or emotion in his playing. They ought to go see him live :D Or I guess, that's what youtube is for!

Despite heavy praise on the above, however, there is one solo that resonates with me more than any other. It is definitely my favorite solo of all time, by any artist. Shattered Fortress. It simply tells a story, and takes you on a ride.

This 1:20 beast runs on a backing melody of one of DT's best metal riffs (Root of All Evil) and starts out very weird sounding and atonal, as if to paint a picture of someone's life in a bleak and directionless time. The melody starts to even out and gain harmony, which motions to the character understanding his mistakes and starting on a journey. The next bit runs through a series of standard mind-blowing 'trucci-shred sequences backed with a single-note muted riff and then reprising the RoAE melody, giving the impression of facing one's demons and fighting the temptation to go back to a more comfortable and diseased way of life. Then the last rhythm kicks in (the riff that carries through after the solo) and the solo ends on a triumphant note, but without a fanfare cliche, giving it a powerful and clear upbeat forward-moving melody; it speaks of winning only the power of understanding and being truthful to oneself, and (as the lyrics say afterward) the responsibility to share your wisdom with the world so you can leave it a better place than you found it.

Basically the whole damn thing is roller coaster that yanks on your emotions in different directions in a seamless and beautifully crafted manner. I wish someday you guys would play Shattered Fortress live. I know it might be impossible now that MP's gone, but hey, maybe one day he'll be in the audience and you could play the whole suite for him. As a tribute, to put aside any hard feelings that may or may not (damn the media) exist between you.

Just a thought. :D

Vegvisir's picture

Like a couple of you already mentioned my first vote would probably be the Spirit Carries On solo, I love it.
If i'm in the mood for some blisteringly fast shredding though I think the only real contenders come from nearly every song on TOT, with main props going to SOC and Endless Sacrifice. If I feel like getting pumped up, thats what goes on.

Awake79's picture

[quote=ScarredOne] I personally think some of the earlier solos need to be mentioned, such as, Bombay Vindaloo from Live at the Marquee and Scarred from Awake. Both showcase a lot of versatility in his playing however I, like many of you, just love to listen to him play. Another one worthy to mention is on the Live in Japan DVD and takes place at the end of To Live Forever. He also does some great playing on The Explorer's Club CD entitled Age of Impact. I'll stop now before I continue to list every song on every album....
[/quote]

Good call! I was only thinking album/track solos. But yes, the To Live Forever solo is the best he's done for a live solo. But for me, its the Live in Japan VHS. hahaha

Atreo's picture

All i got to say is wow new album is amazing and new drummer has not at all failed to impress mike portnoy had his own style going on at times it takes a new drummer or such to give a band a fresh start to give them ideas

lak89's picture

Hard question indeed! but I'll list mine

Hollow Years (Budokan version)
Razor's Edge
Trial Of Tears
The Shattered Fortress
The Ministry Of Lost Souls (outro)
Fatal Tragedy

KirksNoseHair_2's picture

Completely forgot about that Hollow Years solo on the Budakon disc, that one is outstanding too

leSpring's picture

Hollow Years from Budokan and Voices I'd say. And let's not forget about the fantastic ending-solo in The Best of Times! :)

ScarredOne's picture

I personally think some of the earlier solos need to be mentioned, such as, Bombay Vindaloo from Live at the Marquee and Scarred from Awake. Both showcase a lot of versatility in his playing however I, like many of you, just love to listen to him play. Another one worthy to mention is on the Live in Japan DVD and takes place at the end of To Live Forever. He also does some great playing on The Explorer's Club CD entitled Age of Impact. I'll stop now before I continue to list every song on every album....

Awake79's picture

Voices. My all time favorite, without a doubt. Granted, almost everything he does is great, but that one has always stood out to me. If I had to rank some of them, The Spirit Carries On is next. Amazing feeling, and still gets the shred in there. Amazing.

Soulfire's picture

I disagree.

We had this discussion on Guitar World forums a while back, and all my friends IRL agree:

The solo from Hollow Years at Live at Budokan is the greatest.

It just can't be surpassed. Not only is it virtuosic and amazing to watch, the melodies and phrases he uses are just perfect. For me it defeintely takes the cake for the best solo he's ever performed.

Ad134's picture

Lines in The Sand. There is no question.

reo73's picture

I like different solos from JP for different reasons but if I have to pick one it is probably Trial of Tears. Definitely the most tasty. I like how it has a more rock/fusion vibe, build nicely, and plays over key changes. Voices is up there too for me.

I think the ending solo of Octavarium is the most dramatic and perhaps UAGM is the most fun.

KirksNoseHair_2's picture

[quote=Ilaria]Hi everyone!
[/quote]

I think my favorite is still the solo from "The Spirit Carries On" but the solo from "Lines In The Sand" is also incredible. Really, all of his solos are incredible, but those two stand out the most to me.

chrismas92's picture

This is an impossible question :p If I had to pick, I would say Lines in the Sand or the Hollow Years live version from Budokan. There are too many amazing ones to choose from though.

A10fouru's picture

Trial of Tears!!!

tmetallo's picture

I think his solo in "Breaking all Illusions" is my all time favorite right now. It's reminiscent of Alex Lifesons "La villa Strangiato" solo i love so much. Only better!! He is amazing!