Skip directly to content

Kansas City: I had to wait 17 years and it was worth every second

• Kansas City: I had to wait 17 years and it was worth every second
    June 29, 2012 - 11:31pm

It's been 17 years in the making. I've been waiting since that fateful day in 1995 when a new friend, eventually to become my best friend, exposed me to this band he liked called, "Dream Theater". We were hanging out and he was playing some really cool riffs on his guitar. I asked about them and he told me the song was Erotomania by Dream Theater. He followed up by playing Awake on the stereo. I became and instant fan when I was 13.

He also exposed me to other DT fans on the internet in the form of the mailing list and IRC channel called #ytsejam. We frequently brought down the wrath of our parents because of the long-distance dial-up bills they received when we would stay up until 2AM talking about DT, other prog bands, and all things related to playing music. This was when dreamtheater.net was not the official website! I remember the day when itchy told us that the band had chosen his site to become the official site! Good times...

Anyway, we lived in Puerto Rico at the time and Dream Theater never came to play for us. Then, I moved to New Orleans, and again, I never had the chance to see them. I eventually moved out to Las Vegas where they were finally going to play somewhere near me! Unfortunately, they played on the night my daughter was born, so, sorry guys, I chose to be in the hospital :)

Well, an era in my life has come to an end. I finally saw Dream Theater live last night and it was better than I could ever have imagined. It was, hands-down, the best show I've ever seen.

I want to thank you guys. You have been, and continue to be, an inspiration for me and many I know.

Peace,
    Bryan

fb_bryan_c._geraghty's picture
on June 29, 2012 - 11:31pm

It's been 17 years in the making. I've been waiting since that fateful day in 1995 when a new friend, eventually to become my best friend, exposed me to this band he liked called, "Dream Theater". We were hanging out and he was playing some really cool riffs on his guitar. I asked about them and he told me the song was Erotomania by Dream Theater. He followed up by playing Awake on the stereo. I became and instant fan when I was 13.

He also exposed me to other DT fans on the internet in the form of the mailing list and IRC channel called #ytsejam. We frequently brought down the wrath of our parents because of the long-distance dial-up bills they received when we would stay up until 2AM talking about DT, other prog bands, and all things related to playing music. This was when dreamtheater.net was not the official website! I remember the day when itchy told us that the band had chosen his site to become the official site! Good times...

Anyway, we lived in Puerto Rico at the time and Dream Theater never came to play for us. Then, I moved to New Orleans, and again, I never had the chance to see them. I eventually moved out to Las Vegas where they were finally going to play somewhere near me! Unfortunately, they played on the night my daughter was born, so, sorry guys, I chose to be in the hospital :)

Well, an era in my life has come to an end. I finally saw Dream Theater live last night and it was better than I could ever have imagined. It was, hands-down, the best show I've ever seen.

I want to thank you guys. You have been, and continue to be, an inspiration for me and many I know.

Peace,
Bryan

Forum category: 
DexterTheater's picture

I am wondering if they really read this things... I hope they do.
Go DT!