Skip directly to content

Last Night In Grand Prairie

• Last Night In Grand Prairie
    October 28, 2011 - 2:16pm

My first Dream Theatre show and I must say the night was almost perfect. The rain/3+hour drive, having to pay $30 dollars for VIP parking( so we would not get soaked) + the Rangers losing all sucked but outside of that the night was PERFECT.

I am 47 years old and have been to many concerts. This concert was by far the BEST I have ever been to. Every member of this band is an absolute professional and is the best at what he does. Highlights of the show for were: Outcry, the acoustic set leading into On The Backs On Angels and the closing song Breaking All Illusions. I do wish that the acoustic set would have been a little longer. I would of loved to have also heard Far From Heaven. Still Silent Man and Beneath The Surface were perfect. I cant state enough how impressive this band is.

A few side notes: Ticketmaster actually bumped our seats up a few rows which was cool. John giving us Ranger updates was nice. My daughter loved the show and will now be a forever Dream Theatre fan. Her classmates may not have a clue who they are but she said this by far the best concert she has seen and 'they are the greatest band in the world'. Dream Theatre just bumped Justin Bieber & The Jonas Brothers down a few pegs. I wish I could have gotten my son a T shirt but they had no kids sizes.

Trivarium actually was decent didnt cuss much or at all from what I heard and would be pretty melodic when they would stop screaming.

Thanks Dream Theatre for a GREAT night. I will go to GREAT lengths to see you again.

yogi's picture
on October 28, 2011 - 2:16pm

My first Dream Theatre show and I must say the night was almost perfect. The rain/3+hour drive, having to pay $30 dollars for VIP parking( so we would not get soaked) + the Rangers losing all sucked but outside of that the night was PERFECT.

I am 47 years old and have been to many concerts. This concert was by far the BEST I have ever been to. Every member of this band is an absolute professional and is the best at what he does. Highlights of the show for were: Outcry, the acoustic set leading into On The Backs On Angels and the closing song Breaking All Illusions. I do wish that the acoustic set would have been a little longer. I would of loved to have also heard Far From Heaven. Still Silent Man and Beneath The Surface were perfect. I cant state enough how impressive this band is.

A few side notes: Ticketmaster actually bumped our seats up a few rows which was cool. John giving us Ranger updates was nice. My daughter loved the show and will now be a forever Dream Theatre fan. Her classmates may not have a clue who they are but she said this by far the best concert she has seen and 'they are the greatest band in the world'. Dream Theatre just bumped Justin Bieber & The Jonas Brothers down a few pegs. I wish I could have gotten my son a T shirt but they had no kids sizes.

Trivarium actually was decent didnt cuss much or at all from what I heard and would be pretty melodic when they would stop screaming.

Thanks Dream Theatre for a GREAT night. I will go to GREAT lengths to see you again.

Forum category: 
JanneDaArc's picture

What an amazing concert. I did the Meet & Greet and it was truly awesome meeting these guys. Their music has meant so much to me in my life.

Met some really great fellow fans at the concert too. There is just something about DT that I've not experienced at any other concert. You feel like they really are playing to pursue their passion but that it is supported significantly from the dedication of their fans.

I cannot wait to see them again.

DebraKadabra's picture

I went to the Austin show the night before and I'm having a really hard time deciding which show was better. At points, I think the Austin show was better but then I remember how I reacted to all of the little moments at the Grand Prairie show. Let's just say I had an awesome time at both shows and leave it at that. :p

skildude's picture

That was such a Great Concert. I took the wife and she's now in love with John Myung. I had such a great time and even got a hand shake from all 5 DT members at the end of the show.
They even got into the local scene with updates on the World Series. Talk about playing to their fans.
I LMAO when James and John started talking about Hockey scores. I was wearing my Detroit Red Wings Jersey and it kinda stood out in the sea of black and gray shirts.
They promised a return visit and seemed very pleased with the crowd.

Mike Mangini certain has made his presence known. Talk about A-List talent. He's seemed to be enjoying the crap out of playing for us. He never stopped smiling. I am glad he now calls DT home

Hopefully next time they'll have Count of Tuscany on the playlist.

I give this Concert a big thumbs up and way to start us up with Trivium. I've heard of them before but they really knocked my socks off.

yogi's picture

Forsaken was also a highlight. James did say they would get back through in 2012. I will be there.

What a GREAT night!

Kindred's picture

I completely agree. I go to a LOT of concerts and festivals and this was by far the best show I have ever seen. Mangini was more than amazing and as a drummer I was blown away by the subtleties of his playing, the most ambidextrous drummer I have ever seen. They were all perfect and although they left out some of my favorites, I was totally satisfied with the set list. My only gripe is that the vocals were a bit buried and the low end was lacking but all and all a perfect night. I hope they do come back through as James mentioned. I will definitely be there.