Skip directly to content

This Is The Life

• This Is The Life
    September 16, 2011 - 3:39pm

So does anyone else here love this song as much as I do? It's not my favourite from the album (that would go to Outcry or Beneath the Surface) but the whole album is so damn good it's shocking. I haven't listened to anything else (accept for one run through of Death Angel's "Act III" when it came in the mail) since it came out. But this song is just so great and, while not quite a happy song, is very hopeful I suppose. I love it lots. :P

Xinlo's picture
on September 16, 2011 - 3:39pm

So does anyone else here love this song as much as I do? It's not my favourite from the album (that would go to Outcry or Beneath the Surface) but the whole album is so damn good it's shocking. I haven't listened to anything else (accept for one run through of Death Angel's "Act III" when it came in the mail) since it came out. But this song is just so great and, while not quite a happy song, is very hopeful I suppose. I love it lots. :P

Forum category: 
Doofly's picture

[quote=Spin][quote=zvan92]@Doofly: What's even more devastating is that the fault is reproduced in the cd as well, and its clearly audible in .WAV format. :( [/quote]

Yeah I'm really disappointed by it too. I think it's actually an effect that has been applied to the vocals that's killed its 'liveliness'. It's definitely the biggest production flaw on the album.

Despite that it's a brilliant song, there's so much feel and emotion in this song, I love the dynamics, similarly with the guitar solo in breaking all illusions.

[/quote]

Well, that sucks. Hopefully it isn't as apparent as the mp3 on the disc in my vehicle. That's the only consistent time I get to "crank it up". I will say that it's the only gripe at this time I have with the entire album.

Spin's picture

[quote=zvan92]@Doofly: What's even more devastating is that the fault is reproduced in the cd as well, and its clearly audible in .WAV format. :( [/quote]

Yeah I'm really disappointed by it too. I think it's actually an effect that has been applied to the vocals that's killed its 'liveliness'. It's definitely the biggest production flaw on the album.

Despite that it's a brilliant song, there's so much feel and emotion in this song, I love the dynamics, similarly with the guitar solo in breaking all illusions.

zvan92's picture

@Doofly: What's even more devastating is that the fault is reproduced in the cd as well, and its clearly audible in .WAV format. :(

Hérus's picture

I don't notice it on the mp3 download version that I got from the box set.

Doofly's picture

[quote=zvan92]This song is wonderful, along with the rest of the album. I'm glad that Dream Theater's sound has returned to a more mature form... the form I'm most familiar with. However, I just cannot seem to get over the extremely obvious mixing and/or engineering flaw at 1:18 where the vocals are terribly muffled throughout the rest of the verse and into the chorus. I think next time they should find someone else to do the mixing (I have a feeling Andy screwed this one up because Paul Northfield usually seems to do a fine job). It's truly unfortunate. :( [/quote]

I'm glad I'm not the only one that noticed that. It's definitely more apparent on the mp3 vs the flac version. I can't wait until I get my CD in the mail so I can just play it in the vehicle insead of the IPod.

Daso's picture

[quote=KevShmev]Awesome mellow song (NOT a ballad, folks!). Definitely one of my two or three favorites from the new album. I love when they write songs like this: mellow songs that don't sound cheesy or balladesque. [/quote]

I call it a ballad because I call The Spirit Carries On a ballad and this song reminds me of The Spirit Carries On. Although actually you're right, non of them both are actually ballads, but it sounds better than mellow song :p :D

PetFish's picture

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o4ir6XlD4IE

Here's the lyric video I made for the contest but I'm having trouble submitting it for judging. DT+Internet stuff always seems to be broken.

KevShmev's picture

Awesome mellow song (NOT a ballad, folks!). Definitely one of my two or three favorites from the new album. I love when they write songs like this: mellow songs that don't sound cheesy or balladesque.

Daso's picture

I really enjoy the song, they did a great job with it. The lyrics are really touching, they definitelly made me think a lot while I heard it and read the lyrics, I even had to pause the song at times to think properly about what the lyrics said, and then play the song all over again because I had loved it. The solo is really powerful, it got me right away. Another thing I love about it is how Jordan backs up LaBrie so well. I agree that there's certain mixing issues, but that's not the band's fault (at least, not completely, but partially). I really enjoy the song. At this point, I can't tell how high it ranks for me on the album or as a Dream Theater ballad, but it certainly does pretty well, as well as the other songs on the album.

mrblog47's picture

This is the song I keep singing to myself over and over again

zvan92's picture

This song is wonderful, along with the rest of the album. I'm glad that Dream Theater's sound has returned to a more mature form... the form I'm most familiar with. However, I just cannot seem to get over the extremely obvious mixing and/or engineering flaw at 1:18 where the vocals are terribly muffled throughout the rest of the verse and into the chorus. I think next time they should find someone else to do the mixing (I have a feeling Andy screwed this one up because Paul Northfield usually seems to do a fine job). It's truly unfortunate. :(

RC Towers's picture

[quote=Xinlo]So does anyone else here love this song as much as I do? It's not my favourite from the album (that would go to Outcry or Beneath the Surface) but the whole album is so damn good it's shocking. I haven't listened to anything else (accept for one run through of Death Angel's "Act III" when it came in the mail) since it came out. But this song is just so great and, while not quite a happy song, is very hopeful I suppose. I love it lots. :P

[/quote]

I definitely love this song as much as you do. Listening to this song, with total focus from the heart, and in solitude, has open feelings for me making me feel that our new life, as human light beings has begun.

May Oneness Bless Us All, as One.

northy's picture

Great track, but i just can't stop playing the whole album. I am beginning to think that this is the definative Dream Theater album.

SilentFury007's picture

Yeah right now I think it may be my favorite on the album, just beautiful.

Hérus's picture

It's definitely one of my favorites on the album. I think it's got a very uplifting message.

Perkster24's picture

'This is the Life' is my favourite track off the album. Like Canuck it gives me goose bumps as does much of the rest of the album. I can't put the blumin thing down at the mo. I love IAW and Awake the two albums that were doing the rounds when I first came across DT in the early 90's. This album harks back to those days and, for me, is fast becoming a seroius contender for DT's best to date. Can't wait to see them at Wembley London Feb 2102.

pj.rodriguez's picture

I knew I wasn't the only one who actually loved this song. It, to me, is one of my favorites. So much feel and passion within the song. Lyrics are meaningful and the melodic, legato feel of the entire song literally makes me feel good. Great tune and I hope people appreciate every note in the entire new album. It's among the best DT albums thus far.

KirksNoseHair_2's picture

I almost get an Anna Lee kind of vibe from it (not a bad thing in my book)

Canuck's picture

I also love the song "This is the Life", one of my favourites on the new album. Beautiful guitar intro and JL's vocals are spectacular. JP's guitar first break sounds a lot like Gilmour, which I love as well. Gave me goose-bumps when I first heard it, very inspiring, chokes me up actually. I've been listening to the new album over and over since I bought it on the 13th, and I'm loving it more and more. I really hope they play "This is the Life" on this tour.

KirksNoseHair_2's picture

It's currently my favorite of the ballads on the album. Hoping they play it live.

weezul's picture

Oh my... Such a noob.. Apologies. Indeed the wrong topic. I'm sat at the doctors waiting.. Probably need a brain transplant haha. Carry on....

Xinlo's picture

[quote=weezul]I think its a perfect ender and a beautiful tune. They were right to end with it imo. Poignant. [/quote]
I think you've got it confused with "Beneath the Surface". This Is The Life is the 4th track on the CD. Either that or you meant to post in the Beneath The Surface topic. :P

weezul's picture

I think its a perfect ender and a beautiful tune. They were right to end with it imo. Poignant.