Skip directly to content

Live Album with Mike Mangini?

• Live Album with Mike Mangini?
    February 24, 2012 - 9:54pm

Hey. I was just wondering what you guys thought of having DT's next album be a live album? I think it would be cool to hear how Mike Mangini plays their older songs too. I say them play "The Glass Moon" on a short youtube clip the DT posted on their Facebook page and lived how he did the chorus. I would love to hear more that is not a bootleg.

Ytsejam58's picture
on February 24, 2012 - 9:54pm

Hey. I was just wondering what you guys thought of having DT's next album be a live album? I think it would be cool to hear how Mike Mangini plays their older songs too. I say them play "The Glass Moon" on a short youtube clip the DT posted on their Facebook page and lived how he did the chorus. I would love to hear more that is not a bootleg.

Forum category: 
A10fouru's picture

[quote=leglessmoof]How about releasing Score on Blu-ray instead? I mean I'd love a new DVD too, but Score on Blu-ray would be better.[/quote]

This +one billion-gazillion

CONSTANTMOTION's picture

@Invincible Psychotron: cool!! i've got both versions of Chaos in Motion as well :D the thing is i've never focused on the issue of its "quality" compared to , say, Budokan or Score... but it's a favourite 'cos Systematic Chaos is my favourite CD

CONSTANTMOTION's picture

@Campion95:
yeah, if my memory serves me right, in that interview James mentioned September being the approximate time of wrapping up the DVD. and 3D's an awesome idea! i do believe a live CD will follow anyway ;)

Invincible Psychotron's picture

@Ytsejam58: I am afraid you're completely wrong. "Chaos In Motion 2007 - 2008" was released in two versions. Double DVD and a Deluxe Limited Collector's Edition Box Set comprising of 2 DVD's plus 3 CD's and I am proud to announce that I own it. I personally love it very much because it is a compilation live album. The quality might not be as good as "Live At Budokan" or "Score X O X 20th Anniversary World Tour Live With The Octavarium Orchestra" but it is still pretty nice to watch and listen to!

By the way for the fans who do not know about the release of a Blu-Ray of "Live At Budokan" I must tell you that it's a must have for any 'Dream Theater' fan out there, so grab a copy before it's too late...I have mine ;) DREAM THEATER ALL THE WAY \m/ \m/

leglessmoof's picture

How about releasing Score on Blu-ray instead? I mean I'd love a new DVD too, but Score on Blu-ray would be better.

Ytsejam58's picture

@comment: Well, I think that is because CIM is a DVD only, not a CD. I think the Discography only covers their CDs

comment's picture

@Ytsejam58: Joe Satriani's 3D concert is playing now in select theaters. http://satchurated.com/
Now that would be cool to watch DT in 3D at a theater with surround sound.. the works.

Hopefully they read these posts before going to production on the DVD. I'd like to see the DVD done more like Score too. You know CIM isn't even listed in their discography so they may not like it so much either. Great suggestion for DVD commentary, that would be cool too.

Ytsejam58's picture

That would be freakin' amazing to have it in 3D! I have always wondered what a live concert would be like in 3D.

Campion95's picture

Yeh, I think i saw a interview LaBrie saying they might be doing it in 3d, but I watch it late so I might be wrong. It would be awesome though, I hope they don't do it like Chaos in Motion, I wasn't a big fan of the quality but the bonus features were great on it. I hope they make it like Score, also an audio commentary would be awesome as well.

Ytsejam58's picture

I haven't seen Chaos In Motion. But I have seen Score. I love Score so much. Watching Six Degrees and Octavarium in their full live is awesome.

marh415's picture

Personally, if they do put out a live album for this tour, I hope it's in the same fashion as Score as opposed to the more raw material on Chaos In Motion. Just my two cents!!

Adam Mitchell's picture

It would be great if they did a live album with Mangini, seeing how their last live album/DVD was Chaos In Motion and they skipped out a dvd of the Black Clouds tour, i think we are due a DVD :)

comment's picture

It's a great idea! Looking forward to this DVD/album. I'd like to see something similar to the Chaos In Motion DVD/CD set. An added bonus is if they could slip in a new upcoming tune or improv jam track on it.

johncal's picture

We're getting 1 step better. They are definitely doing a live DVD from this tour. Mentioned now by a couple members of the band.

(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻'s picture

They have mentioned a few times that they want to do a live album.