Skip directly to content

Live performance critics

• Live performance critics
    April 4, 2013 - 3:48pm

It is not easy to criticise somebody you really like so please consider my critics to come with my big respect to you and your music (otherwise I would not even spend my time on writing this).
    You are some of the most skilled artists on this planet and, mainly for this reason, I would ask you to remember what live performances are all about (or at least were about in the past).

I have seen you first on the Loreley in Germany last year (what a venue !!!) and was really flashed by the energy of your performance but it was very short. Ok, I thought this might be due to time restrictions due to the open air arena so I went to Vienna shortly after that to see you a second time.
    Basically, it was the same. A short concert with a lot of energy and power but the songs were very similar to the originals on record. Even "The Count of Tuscany", a beautiful song that would have to be modified for live performances as the dreamy part (which made Petrucci yawn several times - and not only him) is much too long, was played in the CD version...

I am about your age and for that reason the main reason for me to see live performances is to see INTERPRETATIONS of the songs (as was usual in the 80s and 90s). You are so very skilled and it should be no problem for you to play different interpretations of at least some of your songs every night. I have bought several of your official bootlegs and I found that, in the past, your concerts were quite long and you did fantastic interpretations of your songs (and covers as well). "Surrounded" performed in NYC 1993 is a fantastic example as well as the Comforably Numb cover you did with Queensryche or the fantastic Little Wing Jam to be found on Youtube.

I know that a lot of visitors of your concerts might not ask for this kind of interpretations anymore (the same kind of people who just turn around after the encore and leave the venue instead of shouting for more - what has happened to the Rock fans ??) and you will earn your money anyway. The same as Metallica (the worst concert I saw in my life, all songs identical to the CD versions, no addiction, no soul but a lot of arrogance) and their fans also don't seem to mind it.

Still, if you don't have to do it for the visitors, do it for the sake of art, for your own ambition, for the love to music. I would love so much to see a performance from you that will go for 3 hours and will leave me unconscious for some days as some of your past concerts would have done if I had been there.

As an inspiration for a cover that would be taylormade for your skills and that would be an incredible performance for sure I would like to mention the 17 min version of "No Quarter" by Led Zeppelin in Uniondale 1975 (available in 3 parts on youtube). If I would ever see you perform that song, paradise could not tempt me anymore.. ;)

Thank you for at least considering this !

Looking forward to a lot of fun with your music !

landogarner's picture
on April 4, 2013 - 3:48pm

It is not easy to criticise somebody you really like so please consider my critics to come with my big respect to you and your music (otherwise I would not even spend my time on writing this).
You are some of the most skilled artists on this planet and, mainly for this reason, I would ask you to remember what live performances are all about (or at least were about in the past).

I have seen you first on the Loreley in Germany last year (what a venue !!!) and was really flashed by the energy of your performance but it was very short. Ok, I thought this might be due to time restrictions due to the open air arena so I went to Vienna shortly after that to see you a second time.
Basically, it was the same. A short concert with a lot of energy and power but the songs were very similar to the originals on record. Even "The Count of Tuscany", a beautiful song that would have to be modified for live performances as the dreamy part (which made Petrucci yawn several times - and not only him) is much too long, was played in the CD version...

I am about your age and for that reason the main reason for me to see live performances is to see INTERPRETATIONS of the songs (as was usual in the 80s and 90s). You are so very skilled and it should be no problem for you to play different interpretations of at least some of your songs every night. I have bought several of your official bootlegs and I found that, in the past, your concerts were quite long and you did fantastic interpretations of your songs (and covers as well). "Surrounded" performed in NYC 1993 is a fantastic example as well as the Comforably Numb cover you did with Queensryche or the fantastic Little Wing Jam to be found on Youtube.

I know that a lot of visitors of your concerts might not ask for this kind of interpretations anymore (the same kind of people who just turn around after the encore and leave the venue instead of shouting for more - what has happened to the Rock fans ??) and you will earn your money anyway. The same as Metallica (the worst concert I saw in my life, all songs identical to the CD versions, no addiction, no soul but a lot of arrogance) and their fans also don't seem to mind it.

Still, if you don't have to do it for the visitors, do it for the sake of art, for your own ambition, for the love to music. I would love so much to see a performance from you that will go for 3 hours and will leave me unconscious for some days as some of your past concerts would have done if I had been there.

As an inspiration for a cover that would be taylormade for your skills and that would be an incredible performance for sure I would like to mention the 17 min version of "No Quarter" by Led Zeppelin in Uniondale 1975 (available in 3 parts on youtube). If I would ever see you perform that song, paradise could not tempt me anymore.. ;)

Thank you for at least considering this !

Looking forward to a lot of fun with your music !

Forum category: