Skip directly to content

Los Angeles 09/25/2011

• Los Angeles 09/25/2011
    September 26, 2011 - 7:49am

This was my first Dream Theater show. Words cannot describe the pleasure. :) The band projected such energy.. outstanding.

Here's the setlist:
    http://www.setlist.fm/setlist/dream-theater/2011/nokia-theatre-la-live-l...

Quote:
    Bridges in the Sky
    These Walls
    Build Me Up, Break Me Down
    Endless Sacrifice
    Drum Solo
    The Ytse Jam
    Wait for Sleep
    Far From Heaven
    The Great Debate
    On the Backs of Angels
    Caught In A Web
    Through My Words
    Fatal Tragedy
    Breaking All Illusions

Encore:
    Pull Me Under

The bit in Breaking All Illusions that, on the CD cut starts at about 5:00, drove the crowd into a frenzy. Jordan was incredible! JP/JM/MM as well of course, but man.. all around me I heard exclamations of "wow!" and "holy shit!" after each of Jordan's bits, and people just went nuts when he nailed the old hammond-organ sounding bit.

The whole band was just on fire. James' voice was spectacular, JP's guitar work flawless, JR's keyboards unbelievable, JM's bass rattled my skull and MM's drums was icing on a very delicious cake.

My personal highlight was Fatal Tragedy. Scenes From a Memory is the album that introduced me to DT and I consider it an absolute masterpiece. To hear something from that just made my day/week/month/year.

To the DT guys: You rocked my socks. First time I've had the pleasure of seeing you live (and so ashamed I managed to miss the '09 show at The Greek in LA), and all I can say is I'm blissed out beyond words. Mangini is the man!

bloodtoes's picture
on September 26, 2011 - 7:49am

This was my first Dream Theater show. Words cannot describe the pleasure. :) The band projected such energy.. outstanding.

Here's the setlist:
http://www.setlist.fm/setlist/dream-theater/2011/nokia-theatre-la-live-l...

Quote:
Bridges in the Sky
These Walls
Build Me Up, Break Me Down
Endless Sacrifice
Drum Solo
The Ytse Jam
Wait for Sleep
Far From Heaven
The Great Debate
On the Backs of Angels
Caught In A Web
Through My Words
Fatal Tragedy
Breaking All Illusions

Encore:
Pull Me Under

The bit in Breaking All Illusions that, on the CD cut starts at about 5:00, drove the crowd into a frenzy. Jordan was incredible! JP/JM/MM as well of course, but man.. all around me I heard exclamations of "wow!" and "holy shit!" after each of Jordan's bits, and people just went nuts when he nailed the old hammond-organ sounding bit.

The whole band was just on fire. James' voice was spectacular, JP's guitar work flawless, JR's keyboards unbelievable, JM's bass rattled my skull and MM's drums was icing on a very delicious cake.

My personal highlight was Fatal Tragedy. Scenes From a Memory is the album that introduced me to DT and I consider it an absolute masterpiece. To hear something from that just made my day/week/month/year.

To the DT guys: You rocked my socks. First time I've had the pleasure of seeing you live (and so ashamed I managed to miss the '09 show at The Greek in LA), and all I can say is I'm blissed out beyond words. Mangini is the man!

Forum category: 
Wingnut1991's picture

Loved the show, great set list!

8 of 11 albums represented, are you kidding me!

And I thought with the new Mike they'd stick more to the new album.

This group never ceases to amaze me!

I hadn't heard Ytse Jam in along time, shame on me.

In fact in ten previous shows I had never seen them perfrom Ytse Jam or The Great Debate live, until now!

By the way, the crowd was awesome!

JamesEwt's picture

@Jordan Rudess: You guys are so classy. I saw the you tube video where you had asked the man what type of camera he used. I'm sure that made his day.

See you in Boston , Morristown, NYC, and Tampa. Taking my son on a DT trek has been a tradition since SC tour to Cleavland. Never disappointed.

James

Scorpa65's picture

Jordan im getting ready to got to seattle and walk around. Hope you do a walk about like you do. Maybe ill see ya and buy you a coffee. My G/F and I are going. This is her first DT concert and my 3rd. Ilove the new album i feel its your guys best yet. Looking forward to the show.

Jordan Rudess's picture

I'm so happy to see that everyone is enjoying the shows. At the moment I'm sitting in my hotel room in Seattle listening to some Ian Anderson solo music. Gotta give the brain a break from the complexities of Breaking All Illusions etc.. :).....
Also working on some new app stuff here. We are getting so close to actually getting out my newest app "Geo Synthesizer". It is a total players app. Its fast and responsive and will surely shake up the Ipad/iphone world when it comes to really be able to rock!
I look forward to seeing more of you as we float around the USA!!
Thanks for the feedback here everyone!

Jordan

DTfanfromcanada's picture

DT Please keep "Breaking All Illusions" on the setlist every night!!! One of the top 3 DT songs of all time!!! I will be disappointed if they dont play it in Toronto Oct 6th! Hearing that song live will put a smile on my face for weeks :D

Yarch's picture

I flew from Cleveland to check out the 1st two shows of the new tour. San Francisco venue was quite intimate and I while I started off in the 2nd row, I ended up in the front row courtesy of the Trivium fans propensity for shoving other people around - Thanks Guys! The show was fantastic. The venue in LA was top notch and while I wasn't nearly as close, the experience was just as good with the enhanced light show and additional screens to see the band closeups. And the did "Breaking All Illusions", the guitar solo from which is my new Petrucci favorite. The band modified the sets a bit between the first two shows which was great. Thanks DT! You guys are an amazing band. Welcome too Mr. Mangini - your drum solo blew me away!
See you again in Pittsburgh next Tuesday! Can't wait.

Awake79's picture

[quote=ytsejamr]I've Been a fan since I heard Pull Me Under on KNAC. 1st concert wasnt until the Six Degrees Of Inner Tourbulance, at the little Wiltern Theater in LA. Me & Wifey see them every year. Last nights show was the first time we spent $$ on the
''VIP Tour Package tickets & boy did it pay off we ended up in the 5th row, Center!! .........I KNOW!!!!!
By far one of the best shows we've seen. Not just it was where we sat but, it just had a different vibe to it. It seemed fresh somehow. Not bothered by the setlist. Mike Man-Genie has 25 years of DT songs to master. Thank you, to everyone in DT.[/quote]

Dude, would that have been 'round about March of '02??? I was at that show.

ytsejamr's picture

I've Been a fan since I heard Pull Me Under on KNAC. 1st concert wasnt until the Six Degrees Of Inner Tourbulance, at the little Wiltern Theater in LA. Me & Wifey see them every year. Last nights show was the first time we spent $$ on the
''VIP Tour Package tickets & boy did it pay off we ended up in the 5th row, Center!! .........I KNOW!!!!!
By far one of the best shows we've seen. Not just it was where we sat but, it just had a different vibe to it. It seemed fresh somehow. Not bothered by the setlist. Mike Man-Genie has 25 years of DT songs to master. Thank you, to everyone in DT.

Awake79's picture

Happy to see they are keeping the tradition of changing up the setlist.

zedsdead's picture

I guess they are changing up the setlist...cool!

d1eSELxxxx's picture

The show was great overall, because DT always rocks the show. I did notice the highs were overwhelming at times and almost had to cover my ears a few points. Didn't mean that DT didn't perform flawless, they were amazing. I noticed Labrie's messup on PMU, but it just shows that he is human even though he "sang the song soo many times", or how he said it haha. He was humorous and joked it off like a professional. It was awesome that he did not make the moment awkward and continued the rest of the song great. I would like to also mention that he sings really well live and has a great voice. DT gave me more for what I paid for and would gladly see them ANYTIME they come back to LA. Shit I might even fly out to NY for a couple concerts, haha.

I would also like to mention that Mr. Magini was AWESOME. I cant think of any drummer to be a perfect replacement than him. I loved his humour while playing the set/solo and he just blew me away with his talent(along with the rest of the talent of DT). Great job Mangini!!! Thanks again DT for an awesome evening.

p.s. It was my mother's and step dad's 1st DT concert and they both loved it (and im almost 30yrs old, to give you an idea). At the end of the night, we all walked out with DT merch, haha.

solitaryshell's picture

Sounds great. Four more days till our turn in SLC. The numbers leading into the encore and after on this show are excellent. Fellas, please play Breaking all Illusions at the SLC show. :) That song is turning out to be one of your best ever in my opinion. I must see JP play that solo in the middle, plus I think this song displays an incredible amount of finesse that MM has on the set.

johncal's picture

Cool, so far from reading the reviews, good thing is only 1 fan got lost and showed up at the wrong concert 'cause he obviously didn't see the same show everyone else saw!

drumike's picture

I hadn't seen DT live since the Greek Theater over 7 years ago. Tonight's show was full of positive energy from both the band and the audience in return. I saw Trivium fans rocking out and head banging as much as the older DT fans. The highlight for me was when James said, "We read on the forums some concern about our set list." Then BAM! Caught in a Web to finally getting to hear Breaking All Illusions live!

That solidified my love for this song as my favorite on the new album.

Mike Mangini was my first thought for replacing Portnoy and I'm glad that the audience was introduced to his personality during his drum solo.

Highlights from the show;

The cube screens playing the guy on the unicycle in the background (do we have a name for him yet? like Eddie?)

Jordan did a whole bunch of interaction that I haven't seen in the past (looking at the camera during the solo, Keytar solo with both Johns, His avatar playing a surround keyboard on screen, and generally looking happy).

JamesEwt's picture

Very nice pics!! I like the two Johns standing together.
Amazing band,

CrimsonSunriseDTF's picture

Lightweight's picture

I watched some clips from the L.A-show on Youtube and the setlist you guys had was phenomenal! I'm hoping for a similar one here in Sweden in January! The crowd looked quite relaxed tho ;D A bit too relaxed..

JamesEwt's picture

Two weeks from today and I'll be in BEANTOWN!! Watching the very best in the world at their respective crafts. Thank you Dream Theater for never letting the fans down.

CISCOKIDD's picture

I was very pleased with Mike Mangini's playing last night ,he filled the big shoes that Portnoy left and then some, I like the no nonsense approach and not spitting all the time. I felt the bands renewed energy and it really showed last night in L.A. Nokia Theater. Very happy you guys decided to continue so that DT fans all over the world can enjoy your talents and music.

reo73's picture

I was there, this was my 4th time seeing DT. I will tell you this, I have never seen them work the stage as much as they did. They really had a lot of energy going on and MM was simply a pleasure to watch behind the kit. JP also has really stepped up on background vocals and did an excellent job. All I can say is they put on a first class show and the place rocked. A few things about the show.

- Mix was a bit loud for my taste and at some points (Great Debate specifically) things became muddy.
- You could tell JP was really concentrating on that intro to BAI, looks like a tough lick. They nailed it though.
- James provided some comic relief when he kinda of muffed the 2nd verse vocals during PMU and played it off well.
- The crowd was great, probably close to 4K all engaged the whole time.

fb_david_cohen's picture

Just got back from seeing Dream Theater at LA LIVE. They totally rocked. If you never seen them live before, go see them now! If you have seen them go back and see them
again. They are absolutely the best musicians I have seen in one band. Wow! Amazing!

sociologuy's picture

I have seen DT live since the late 90's (with Metropolis pt. 2) and I've seen them in different cities through out the US. Despite being a long-time fan of DT, I think that this was the worst DT show I've seen. The sound was great, the lights were spot on, and all the band members had an amazing night. However, the choice of venue and the set list were a big letdown. This venue was so big that it was difficult to really admire these guys while they play (I had to use the big screen). I remember seeing DT during their World Turbulence Tour in Chicago. That show lasted about 4 hrs, and they played the entire master of puppets album! The venue was much smaller and it was great to see these wizards make some music.

This time around the venue was the complete opposite: big venue, assigned seating and the place wasn't sold out.

How about playing 2 or 3 nights at a smaller venue that would be sold out? Watching DT at a big venue like the Nokia Theater takes away from the experience of watching this great band live. It seems as if they played in LA just to cross it off their list. Even their show at the Greek Theater in 2009 (which is a big venue) was much more entertaining: Vai and Zappa joined the band on the stage!

Still, I love DT. Mangini is great, and I hope that later on he will interact more with the audience (a bit like Portnoy). Pretty happy to see JM take the spotlight a few times!

Cheers!

petrucci23's picture

Amazing show! Incredible performance...Mike Mangini is an incredible addition to an already fully run machine. Everyone was on top of their game and the crowd was fantastic. I finally welcome the change and all I can say is Dream Theater is on a different level. A totaly new Dream Theater...:)