Skip directly to content

Lyric and Lifestyle Analysis

• Lyric and Lifestyle Analysis
    September 15, 2011 - 11:42am

(This is my 3rd time trying to make this thread over a couple of days but each time it seems to get rejected? Maybe it is because I used too many quote boxes, so I am going to put quotes in italics instead)

Here is the backdrop to this post: I have been listening to Dream Theater for a couple of years now. I tend to enjoy certain instrumental music while I meditate or want to practice visualization etc, but that's besides the point here. I was introduced to Liquid Tension Experiment first, and initially I resisted even bothering to give DT a chance due to having lyrics. I have found that most music (with lyrics) these days, promote ego feeding garbage. It is meant to be this way, and it is no coincidence that DT has never "broken out" into the mainstream.

I am a "professional" waiter at a high end steakhouse and a couple of years ago I noticed we had a reservation under Petrucci and the name really rang a bell so I did a quick google and realized it was the guitarist for this new band I had literally just started listening to (liquid tension). So I made sure that he was seated with me just incase it was him, pretty cool. I jokingly told him that I literally just started listening to his music and had a LT album in my CD player. I kept the chit-chat minimal so he could enjoy his meal with his family, but I could not help but notice just how down to earth this guy was. He carried himself like a Buddhist monk, oozing politeness and sincerity. For someone with such talent and success, he had no ego whatsoever, and neither did his entire family. I have waited on countless thousands of families (especially affluent ones and other celebrities) and I can honestly say kudos to Mr. Petrucci for being a model citizen and family which seems to be few and far between these days.

So after meeting him in person I decided I should give DT a shot (I do not believe in coincidence) and I am glad that I did. At first I was just appreciating the vast library of music and talent they had but pretty soon the lyrics started to really resonate with me so I started looking in to them. It appears (to me) that there is a lot of hidden meaning and truth in the lyrics that is not discussed.

Lyrical analysis clearly shows the same themes throughout their records which are dripping with references (guidance) towards Buddhism, New Age thinking, Love, visions, other intelligent entities (and channeling them), NWO agenda, the great illusion (delusion) of this world, and of your own (the fan's) awakening experience to this illusion.

Here are some examples:

When Dream and Day Unite, Afterlife:

In this world with its
    many illusions
    We are moving like mice through a
    maze

This part is quite literal and a theme throughout all of their records (do you know of this illusion yet?)

Quote:
    And now I find
    what's left behind
    has served to make me whole

References his higher self, his nature of mind. This is shielded from you while your consciousness is within your human body. This nature of mind (which makes you whole) is what is left behind while human.

full of doubt, deception, and delusion
    seeking purpose to all earthly days

Self observation (very important).

I search within
    beneath a skin
    that bears both pleasure and pain

Reference to meditation and going beyond the sensations of your human body (which limit you).

In a world full of constant confusion
    I will not be a par to the craze

Literal. Think about how chaotic and uncertain the times are that we now live in. He is saying he will not fall in line with everyone else (whom are deluded).

Behind closed eyes
    some comfort lies
    In knowing the truth never spoken

Reference to meditation and finding the truth within. This truth is never spoken of publicly by authority or media. You must seek it yourself, which leads us to:

Through this world with us
    hidden conclusion

Let me answer this DT quote with another quote, from Octavarium - "The answer's been right in front of you". It's true, the truth is hidden for you to find among all of the lies of this world.

so wake up, or

we'll keep moving like mice through
    a maze

More to come...

Drex's picture
on September 15, 2011 - 11:42am

(This is my 3rd time trying to make this thread over a couple of days but each time it seems to get rejected? Maybe it is because I used too many quote boxes, so I am going to put quotes in italics instead)

Here is the backdrop to this post: I have been listening to Dream Theater for a couple of years now. I tend to enjoy certain instrumental music while I meditate or want to practice visualization etc, but that's besides the point here. I was introduced to Liquid Tension Experiment first, and initially I resisted even bothering to give DT a chance due to having lyrics. I have found that most music (with lyrics) these days, promote ego feeding garbage. It is meant to be this way, and it is no coincidence that DT has never "broken out" into the mainstream.

I am a "professional" waiter at a high end steakhouse and a couple of years ago I noticed we had a reservation under Petrucci and the name really rang a bell so I did a quick google and realized it was the guitarist for this new band I had literally just started listening to (liquid tension). So I made sure that he was seated with me just incase it was him, pretty cool. I jokingly told him that I literally just started listening to his music and had a LT album in my CD player. I kept the chit-chat minimal so he could enjoy his meal with his family, but I could not help but notice just how down to earth this guy was. He carried himself like a Buddhist monk, oozing politeness and sincerity. For someone with such talent and success, he had no ego whatsoever, and neither did his entire family. I have waited on countless thousands of families (especially affluent ones and other celebrities) and I can honestly say kudos to Mr. Petrucci for being a model citizen and family which seems to be few and far between these days.

So after meeting him in person I decided I should give DT a shot (I do not believe in coincidence) and I am glad that I did. At first I was just appreciating the vast library of music and talent they had but pretty soon the lyrics started to really resonate with me so I started looking in to them. It appears (to me) that there is a lot of hidden meaning and truth in the lyrics that is not discussed.

Lyrical analysis clearly shows the same themes throughout their records which are dripping with references (guidance) towards Buddhism, New Age thinking, Love, visions, other intelligent entities (and channeling them), NWO agenda, the great illusion (delusion) of this world, and of your own (the fan's) awakening experience to this illusion.

Here are some examples:

When Dream and Day Unite, Afterlife:

In this world with its
many illusions
We are moving like mice through a
maze

This part is quite literal and a theme throughout all of their records (do you know of this illusion yet?)

Quote:
And now I find
what's left behind
has served to make me whole

References his higher self, his nature of mind. This is shielded from you while your consciousness is within your human body. This nature of mind (which makes you whole) is what is left behind while human.

full of doubt, deception, and delusion
seeking purpose to all earthly days

Self observation (very important).

I search within
beneath a skin
that bears both pleasure and pain

Reference to meditation and going beyond the sensations of your human body (which limit you).

In a world full of constant confusion
I will not be a par to the craze

Literal. Think about how chaotic and uncertain the times are that we now live in. He is saying he will not fall in line with everyone else (whom are deluded).

Behind closed eyes
some comfort lies
In knowing the truth never spoken

Reference to meditation and finding the truth within. This truth is never spoken of publicly by authority or media. You must seek it yourself, which leads us to:

Through this world with us
hidden conclusion

Let me answer this DT quote with another quote, from Octavarium - "The answer's been right in front of you". It's true, the truth is hidden for you to find among all of the lies of this world.

so wake up, or

we'll keep moving like mice through
a maze

More to come...

Forum category: