Skip directly to content

Lyrics and Awakening

• Lyrics and Awakening
    September 16, 2011 - 8:30pm

I have tried to make this thread a few times over a couple days and it keeps "awaiting moderation" probably because it was so long. I am going to attempt to start the thread again, and will begin with the first reply so read on.

Drex's picture
on September 16, 2011 - 8:30pm

I have tried to make this thread a few times over a couple days and it keeps "awaiting moderation" probably because it was so long. I am going to attempt to start the thread again, and will begin with the first reply so read on.

Forum category: 
RC Towers's picture

Hey, just to point out, that I figured how to add the responses to peoples' topics. After you click on the topic you want to read, in order to reply, we have to click on 'add reply' on top right hand corner next to 'new topic', then it will scroll down for one to write whatever they want, once finished writing, then click on respond. Thats how, after a couple of days trying to respond to you wonderful enlighted topic, I have been able to respond today. Thanks for sharing your Light. Please feel free to read my topics, for I feel they are very similar to what you have been saying about the awakening process. May Oneness Bless Us All, As One.

RC Towers's picture

Greetings, this is RC, and I share my light and love with you at this moment. It is wonderful to read how you have been lead to the wonderful light and love that is Dream Theater. There are many things that I have written about that are quite similar to your feelings, understandings, and enjoyments of being a part of Dream Theater, through their music.
Your story of meeting Mr. Petrucci’s family is one that enlightens us all, for I have been listening to their music and going through the same things with them since ‘92/’93. Through your personal experience, we have the opportunity to truly feel and understand Light/Love that is within Mr. Petucci's family and to capture a moment in 3d time, to feel the natural understanding for all Life. For Dream Theater's members, through their music, lyrics, and the way they carry themselves, as human light beings, in this shift of consciousness, truly encapsulates this battle within each and every one of us, of dark/Light, and how the Light within grows through the Love of oneself with forgiveness, and understanding that the Light within all of us has, and will always define who we are and will eventually grow, bring Light/Love into those dark places in within our hearts.
This new album truly sends a message, the last battles between what we call dark/light, and that war to end all wars, where Light overcomes Darkness, and becomes open to more arenas of Life, and true understandings of who we are as a human being on mother earth, and progression towards understandings of who we are, within our galaxy, universe, multiples universes, etc. The Song Bridges In The Sky, to me, provides me with love and light (spiritual information and heart-centeredness) to feel that the co-creators that make up the musical consciousness that is, Dream Theater, are ready for this transitional shift in consciousness. JP, JM, JL, JR, and MM are masters at what they create in musical masterpieces because they truly love creating music, and these individual masters, create on their own, and as a harmony, and I have learned to love what they have musically accomplished for 18 years.
To me, this new album is DT’s declaration of this shifting of consciousness, in that, we, mother earth, and her inhabitants, are shifting in consciousness into realms that open the gates to the vastness, and life that is out there in all universes, galaxies, solar systems, planets, etc. and the opportunity for all of us to grow in the light, as mentioned in one of the songs.
In my topics in Recordings and Banter/Brawl, I write about this movement in consciousness, while tying in this movement in musical consciousness that is Dream Theater.
May Oneness Bless Us All, As One.

Drex's picture

[b]Images and Words, Take The Time:[/b]

[quote]Just let me catch my breath...
I've heard the promises
I've seen the mistakes
I've had my fair share of tough
breaks
I need a new voice, a new law,
a new way
Take the time, reevaluate
It's time to pick up the pieces,
Go back to square one
I think it's time for a change[/quote]

What happens when you are amazed by something? Maybe it takes your breath away. He has obviously experienced a new truth and he is realigning his life towards this new truth. Spiritual Awakening.

[quote]There is something that I feel
To be something that is real
I feel the heat within my mind
And craft new changes with
my eyes
Giving freely wandering
promises
A place with decisions I'll
fashion
I won't waste another breath[/quote]

Intuitive feeling and knowing of this new truth. He wont waste another minute manifesting his own destiny (look at how far they have come since writing those words).

[quote]You can feel the waves coming on
(It's time to take the time)
Let them destroy you or carry
you on
(It's time to take the time)
You're fighting the weight of
the world
But no one can save you this
time
Close your eyes
You can find all you need in
your mind[/quote]

Meditate! Discipline yourself. It is time.

[quote]The unbroken spirit
Obscured and disquiet
Finds clearness this trial
demands[/quote]

Your higher consciousness is shielded from you. It becomes clear if you "take the time" (har har!)

[quote]And at the end of this day sighs
an anxious relief
For the fortune lies still in his
hands[/quote]

You still have the (hidden) power to create your own future.

[quote]If there's pensive fear, a
wasted year[/quote]

If you live in fear, you are deluded and living in "the illusion." You are wasting your time (and life).

[quote]A man must learn to cope
If his obsession's real,
Suppression that he feels must
turn to hope[/quote]

You must learn to cope with reality (TRUE reality). All of your suppressed feelings, emotions, and fears must be brought to the surface and faced. No more suppression! Convert your negative feelings and outlooks to positive feelings and hope. This is a must!

[quote]Life is no more assuring than
love[/quote]

Love is a strong theme in DT's music. Pay attention.

[quote](It's time to take the time)
There are no answers from
voices above
(It's time to take the time)[/quote]

Hmmm, religion?

[quote]You're fighting the weight of
the world
And no one can save you this
time
Close your eyes
You can find all you need in
your mind[/quote]

Dont these lyrics speak to you personally? Meditate!

[quote]I close my eyes
And feel the water rise around
me[/quote]

What happens when you close your eyes and submerge yourself in water? All of your senses are gone! Your human senses are a distraction when you are trying to access your inner consciousness.

[quote]Drown the bead of time[/quote]

Hmm, a reference to the illusion of linear time?

[quote]Let my senses fall away
I can see much clearer now,
I'm blind

Find all you need in your mind
If you take the time[/quote]

[b]Train of Thought, As I Am:[/b]

Picture the writer singing to the (hidden) authorities of this world that keep prior said illusion going for the masses. These authorities have certain demands of highly influential people. Control of the media, and in DT's case, control of the music industry, means that the authorities (ruling elite, plutocrats, etc) decide who makes it and who does not. This song references that reality all throughout.

[quote]Don't
Tell me what's in
Tell me how to write
Don't tell me how to win
This fight
Isn't your life
It isn't your right
To take the only thing that's
Mine[/quote]

Pretty literal. He is speaking of his (your) free will - your Gift Divine, so to speak...

[quote]Proven over time
It's over your head
Don't try to read between the
Lines
Are clearly defined
[/quote]

Deeper meaning here, speaking of the laws of the universe and free will.

[quote]Never lose sight of
Something you believe in[/quote]

[quote]Takin' in the view from the outside
Feeling like the underdog
Watching through the window I'm on the outside
Living like the underdog[/quote]

When you begin to awaken to the true reality of the world 1) you view the world from a completely new perspective, as if watching it unfold, from outside of the system and 2) you realize you are the "underdog" in that the vast majority of the world's population is still living under this illusion. You will see references to loneliness all throughout the albums.

[quote]I've been trying to justify you
In the end I will just defy you[/quote]

I believe he is speaking directly about the ruling elite. Under the correct perspective, you will view this system (and the orchestrators) as a tool for your soul to gain experience and lessons learned - Karma. However, in the end, when you awaken, you will start to defy the system and start creating your own reality.

[quote]To those who understand, I extend my hand
To the doubtful I demand, take me as I am[/quote]

When Neo woke up in the Matrix did he hang around his virtual reality buddies or his new, awakened friends? Think about the pill he chose to swallow.

[quote]Not under your command, I know where I stand
I won't change to fit your plan, Take me as I am[/quote]

Rejecting the system.

[quote]Still
Running uphill
Swimming against the current
I wish I weren't so
Fucked
Feels like I'm stuck
Lost in a sea of mediocrity[/quote]

Lots of work to do to help those around you wake up but it's no easy task. Stuck in a world of mediocrity where people do not even realize their innate powers. Is it merely a coincidence these guys are all prodigies with their instruments and creative talent and that they clearly keep trying to convey a message throughout their music?

[quote]''Slow down,
You're thinking too much
Where is your soul?''[/quote]

A direct message? A question you should all be asking?

[quote]You cannot touch
The way I
Play
Or tell me what to say
You're in the way
Of all that I believe in[/quote]

Once again speaking to the authorities. Letting them know he will not be manipulated and told how to create his music nor stop him from voicing his believes (which are everywhere in these songs).

[quote]I've been wasting my breath on you
Open minds will descend upon you[/quote]

Speaking again to the current rulers. When enough open minds begin to awaken, look out!

[quote]To those who understand, I extend my hand
To the doubtful I demand, take me as I am
Not under your command, I know where I stand
I won't change to fit your plan, take me as I am[/quote]

So I think this is good to get discussion going on the topic. I will probably add more thoughts about other songs because it's pretty fun to do and also because it's literally in every song. Dont even get me started with the new album! ;)

Here's more food for thought: Do you think DT would have ever gotten as big as they are if they promoted themselves as some sort of spiritual band? How is the christian rock scene doing, for example? If DT was public about all of these ideas from the start, they would have been lumped in to a category of music that they may not have desired to be in, which may have kept them from ever being popular enough to get a message across. So why not hide your message in your music and attract the correct fans that are drawn to the passion and talent of DT instead of the garbage that is played on the radio.

Drex's picture

Here is the backdrop to this post: I have been listening to Dream Theater for a couple of years now. I tend to enjoy certain instrumental music while I meditate or want to practice visualization etc, but that's besides the point here. I was introduced to Liquid Tension Experiment first, and initially I resisted even bothering to give DT a chance due to having lyrics. I have found that most music (with lyrics) these days, promote ego feeding garbage. It is meant to be this way, and it is [b]no coincidence[/b] that DT has never "broken out" into the mainstream.

I am a "professional" waiter at a high end steakhouse and a couple of years ago I noticed we had a reservation under Petrucci and the name really rang a bell so I did a quick google and realized it was the guitarist for this new band I had literally just started listening to (liquid tension). So I made sure that he was seated with me just incase it was him, pretty cool. I jokingly told him that I literally just started listening to his music and had a LT album in my CD player. I kept the chit-chat minimal so he could enjoy his meal with his family, but I could not help but notice just how down to earth this guy was. He carried himself like a Buddhist monk, oozing politeness and sincerity. For someone with such talent and success, he had no ego whatsoever, and neither did his entire family. I have waited on countless thousands of families (especially affluent ones and other celebrities) and I can honestly say kudos to Mr. Petrucci for being a model citizen and family which seems to be few and far between these days.

So after meeting him in person I decided I should give DT a shot (I do not believe in coincidence) and I am glad that I did. At first I was just appreciating the vast library of music and talent they had but pretty soon the lyrics started to really resonate with me so I started looking in to them. It appears (to me) that there is a lot of hidden meaning and truth in the lyrics that is not discussed.

Lyrical analysis clearly shows the same themes throughout their records which are dripping with references (guidance) towards Buddhism, New Age thinking, Love, visions, other intelligent entities (and channeling them), NWO agenda, the great illusion (delusion) of this world, and of your own (the fan's) awakening experience [i]to[/i] this illusion.

Here are some examples:

[b]When Dream and Day Unite, Afterlife:[/b]

[quote]
In this world with its
many illusions
We are moving like mice through a
maze[/quote]

This part is quite literal and a theme throughout all of their records (do [i]you[/i] know of this illusion yet?)

[quote]And now I find
what's left behind
has served to make me whole[/quote]

References his higher self, his nature of mind. This is shielded from you while your consciousness is within your human body. This nature of mind (which makes you whole) is what is left behind while human.

[quote]full of doubt, deception, and delusion
seeking purpose to all earthly days[/quote]

Self observation (very important).

[quote]I search within
beneath a skin
that bears both pleasure and pain[/quote]

Reference to meditation and going beyond the sensations of your human body (which limit you).

[quote]In a world full of constant confusion
I will not be a par to the craze[/quote]

Literal. Think about how chaotic and uncertain the times are that we now live in. He is saying he will not fall in line with everyone else (whom are deluded).

[quote]Behind closed eyes
some comfort lies
In knowing the truth never spoken[/quote]

Reference to meditation and finding the truth within. This truth is [i]never[/i] spoken of publicly by authority or media. You must seek it yourself, which leads us to:

[quote]Through this world with us
hidden conclusion[/quote]

Let me answer this DT quote with another quote, from Octavarium - "The answer's been right in front of you". It's true, the truth is hidden for you to find among all of the lies of this world.

so wake up, or

[quote]we'll keep moving like mice through
a maze[/quote]