Skip directly to content

To me Scenes is just one long song broken into smaller parts.

• To me Scenes is just one long song broken into smaller parts.
    September 27, 2011 - 3:43pm

To me Scenes is just one long song broken into smaller parts. If you listen to the studio version tne music never really stops. Does anyone else feel this way?

A Change Of Screen Names's picture
on September 27, 2011 - 3:43pm

To me Scenes is just one long song broken into smaller parts. If you listen to the studio version tne music never really stops. Does anyone else feel this way?

Forum category: 
Nick Stevens's picture

To me, the album is, in some sense, just one long song. It doesn't have the same continuity as the second disc of Six Degrees, but because it tells a story (and a very complex one at that) it naturally forms one overarching concept when played continuously. The way it is written, each song is it's own self-contained piece that can stand on it's own, but also is a microcosm of the album as a whole. Each song advances the story but deals with the same major themes of reincarnation and transcendentalism, which is the impression the album as a whole leaves as well. So essentially, the album as a whole is just one conceptual song. Everything ends where it began.

RC Towers's picture

I totally agree with you, in that, Scenes From a Memory is one entire concept album, because the music, and lyrics tie in together to portray the story, the second part to Metropolis pt. 1. This album, since it came out, reminded me so much of Rush 2112, in that 2112 was 22+minute long song of one long story with many scenes. I feel that Scenes From a Memory is an album resembles the format used by Rush in 2112 with regards to how each song in the album ties in with one another. Great topic. May Oneness Bless Us All, As One.

A Change Of Screen Names's picture

I agree and listened to it 100's if not 1000's of times. To me is that this is meant to be A SONG and this is Dream Theaters longest song. It easily eclipses 6 Degrees and the sometimes mentioned 12 step. For all I know they have said this was the intention. When I saw them on the Scenes tour the came out and did it all with not even stopping to say hi to the crowd. OK James may have yelled Hello Cincinnati. It was heaven.

Obryn's picture

Best album ever written/recorded/preformed live. There is something truly emotionally gripping during specific moments of this album...but you can't get there emotionally if you don't listen to the album as whole. I don't know how they did it, but I can think of at least 3 moments that literally make me tear up every time I listen to this album.

Ilaria's picture

Yes this effect gives the impression you're reading a book instead of listening to a CD :) actually, in other DT albums there is this "flow" between the songs (Six Degrees of inner turbolence) and the albums themselves (think about the noise that closes "Finally Free", you can hear it also in the beginning of "The Glass Prison")...i love it! ;)

Invincible Psychotron's picture

Hi,

I forgot to mention that the guy who had murdered him in his past life when the subject was a girl, is a doctor in present life who treats patients with "Past Life Regression". Dude, you either have to buy the studio album 'Metropolis Pt.2: Scenes From a Memory' or if you have it with you...just go through the lyric sheet inside the booklet. Besides I would recommend you to buy 'Metropolis 2000: Scenes From New York' [DVD] and 'Live Scenes From New York' [3 CD], you will not regret shelling out those extra dollars, pounds or euros depending upon your location. :)

Thanks
Invincible Psychotron

Invincible Psychotron's picture

[b]Hi,

Conceptual albums are supposed to be like this one. It's a beautiful story of the re-incarnation of a woman who gets murdered due to unforeseen circumstances and takes birth again as a man who co-incidentally goes for the treatment to the same person who had murdered him in his past life.

It's a "Shakespeare" like play which has been divided into two Acts and twelve Scenes. It's a very well made album and personally I love conceptual albums a lot. Another great example is "Opeth's" >>> 'My Arms, Your Hearse' and 'Still Life'...those are amazing plays. I think both these bands should direct a complete "Musical Movie" based on the story line. However people like me who own 'Metropolis 2000: Scenes From New York - Special Edition' have the privilege to watch some parts on the giant projector screen which depicts the story line including the characters in it...it's so beautifully directed.

This is one the EPIC "Dream Theater" album to date and live performance is so immaculate that you do not feel like blinking your eye while watching the DVD. It's simply phenomenal...all 5 virtuosoes at their best, it's just incredible to watch them. It's blitzkrieg on stage, very well directed and is a must have for any true "Dream Theater" fan. The audio CD is not far behind. Apart from it's controversial previous cover, it's just amazing. The prime feature on the DVD as well as Audio Disc 3 is the live performance of 'A Mind Beside Itself - I. Erotomania (Instrumental) II. Voices III. The Silent Man' and 'A Change of Seasons - I. The Crimson Sunrise • II. Innocence • III. Carpe Diem • IV. The Darkest of Winters (Instrumental) • V. Another World • VI. The Inevitable Summer • VII. The Crimson Sunset'. :)

Thanks
Invincible Psychotron[b]

Vegvisir's picture

Well i think that was sort of the idea... It's a story... It has a flow. It's a brilliant masterpiece also. If you don't know the storyline, look in to it, you'll enjoy. :)