Skip directly to content

music appreciation

• music appreciation
    April 19, 2013 - 3:03pm

I've been listening to music over 45years and after hearing DT's Music I'm excited about what I hear,in my opinion the music brings to my mind a mixture of YES and Chick Corea Return to Forever.Keep the good work up!Today I'm a big fan.

duncankevin's picture
on April 19, 2013 - 3:03pm

I've been listening to music over 45years and after hearing DT's Music I'm excited about what I hear,in my opinion the music brings to my mind a mixture of YES and Chick Corea Return to Forever.Keep the good work up!Today I'm a big fan.

Forum category: 
Sleeper1928's picture

@solitaryshell: Seconded! No one can do it. I actually have this thing happen to me I call "The Dream Theater effect" - I listen to DT for a long time...maybe I'll knock out Octavarium, then go to Metropolis Part 2, then ToT.... and afterwards, after I've been Dream Theater'd out for the week, I'll turn on the radio. I might listen to some metal, some alt rock, or some other station....

.....and it SUCKS! I find that after listening to DT sometimes that everything else just sounds like shit. The effect has died down a bit since I got all the albums and learned how to transition better...but still...no other band has ever done that to me.

solitaryshell's picture

Interesting combo Kevin. I agree with the technicality influence of Yes. The Chick Corea influence that you hear is very interesting, I can't say I've made that comparison myself.

I agree with Jorge's mentioning of Rush as well. There are also sometimes I might hear a Floyd resemblance.

I have a question though, how many bands on a professional scale can you count where you can detect DT in what they play? I can't think of one and the reason is simple; only these guys can make music the way they do.

Jorge Armando's picture

I'm gonna go with Rush and Yes. Talking about mixtures.