Skip directly to content

Outstanding in Vancouver - got to hang with Jordan

• Outstanding in Vancouver - got to hang with Jordan
    October 1, 2011 - 1:18am

I would be remiss after having the time of my life if I didn't post something here.

This was one of the best days of my life. I not only got to see my favorite band on the planet from the 8th row, I got to have lunch with Jordan.

I had just left the HMV on Robson with the new Steven Wilson disc in my pocket and was walking back towards Granville when I bumped into him. It was just so casual. Like hey, what are you doing here?

For those of you who have never met Jordan, well, I can't say enough. He is a very down to earth guy and incredibly generous. I got to hang with him back stage as well. Truly one of the reasons this band means so much to me.

You know, it was all so low key, I didn't even ask for an autograph or a photo or anything. It was just one of those moments where you're thinking: this is surreal. I'm sitting in Steamworks having a beer with Jordan Rudess, talking about Porcupine Tree etc. like I've known the guy from way back. What are the chances?

Anyway, we crack open the new Wilson CD because Jordan says he played on it, and there's his name on page one. Too funny.

Anyway, I digress. The show was amazing. They managed to pick so many favs I had to hear, even with all the new material I didn't feel like the older material got ignored.

I'm blown away. Thank you Jordan, and thanks to the rest of the band for putting on a fantastic show. You did not disappoint. The only downside is the ringing in my ears two days later. But the Maiden tour was much more deafening from much further away from the stage, so I'm not complaining.

Rob in Port Moody (Vancouver)

yotr72's picture
on October 1, 2011 - 1:18am

I would be remiss after having the time of my life if I didn't post something here.

This was one of the best days of my life. I not only got to see my favorite band on the planet from the 8th row, I got to have lunch with Jordan.

I had just left the HMV on Robson with the new Steven Wilson disc in my pocket and was walking back towards Granville when I bumped into him. It was just so casual. Like hey, what are you doing here?

For those of you who have never met Jordan, well, I can't say enough. He is a very down to earth guy and incredibly generous. I got to hang with him back stage as well. Truly one of the reasons this band means so much to me.

You know, it was all so low key, I didn't even ask for an autograph or a photo or anything. It was just one of those moments where you're thinking: this is surreal. I'm sitting in Steamworks having a beer with Jordan Rudess, talking about Porcupine Tree etc. like I've known the guy from way back. What are the chances?

Anyway, we crack open the new Wilson CD because Jordan says he played on it, and there's his name on page one. Too funny.

Anyway, I digress. The show was amazing. They managed to pick so many favs I had to hear, even with all the new material I didn't feel like the older material got ignored.

I'm blown away. Thank you Jordan, and thanks to the rest of the band for putting on a fantastic show. You did not disappoint. The only downside is the ringing in my ears two days later. But the Maiden tour was much more deafening from much further away from the stage, so I'm not complaining.

Rob in Port Moody (Vancouver)

Forum category: 
yotr72's picture

@yogi: That's fantastic man! I'm a little older too and grew up with some of the same bands plus a whole load of heavier ones. Dream Theater has always been that perfect mix for me. They have satisfied that early mutant inside me that fell in love with Maiden/Metallica etc. in the 80's and have tempered that with the the Yes/Rush/Floyd/etc etc side of me I later discovered.

I'm envious you get to see them. I'd love to see them again this tour.

Rob

yogi's picture

Awesome story. I am sooo pumped that I am about to get to see them for my first time October 27 in Grand Prarie, TX. I'm 47 years old and I grew up listening to Styx, Triumph, Journey, Rush etc. When I first heard Dream Theatre in 2002 I was 100% blown away by the quality of their music. Since then I have purchased every one of their albums.

Their latest disc is incredible. What I found even more amazing was watching the DVD and seeing what a GREAT buch of guys they all appear to be. Your story confirms that. I never like to look too far ahead but I cant wait unil the 27TH.

yotr72's picture

@InfraredDream: Yeah, I was there with you. It was a small group, maybe 20 of us. I was the guy in the black fleece with the black baseball cap that Jordan talked to first when he walked into the room.

Honestly man, this really was the chance of a lifetime. I've met Mike Portnoy twice. He was nice enough, but I really got the feeling that he was just stressed with his schedule and didn't have too much time to talk. Jordan actually bought me a beer and we just ended up talking about work, family, life, music, you name it. He was very accommodating.

But he had to be back to the hotel by 3:00, so I just walked him back up as far as Robson then we went our separate ways.
This is a story I won't forget anytime soon.

Rob

InfraredDream's picture

Wonderful story :) I was thiking who was that guy that Jordan mentioned :) I happy you had such great time with him.
My friends and I were backstage as well, so we obviously met you there :)
Amazing show and great to meet Jordan and Mike after that.
I am still speechless how awesome the whole evening was!

Awake79's picture

Man, that's great! Congratulations on having a day of a lifetime! Very cool!

yotr72's picture

Yeah, that's me.

Now I have to go over to Facebook and find out what he posted!

Thanks for the feedback!

Rob. :) :D

Erotomania's picture

What a great post.
Thanks for sharing that day with us all.

Fresh Maverick's picture

Dude, you're Rob Perkins right?!? Jordan wrote about you on his facebook page haha. He mentioned he had lunch with you and all that! That's a cool story man. I can only wish!!

lak89's picture

I'm speechless, that's beyond awesome.

solitaryshell's picture

Very awesome. What a great moment for life.