Skip directly to content

Portnoy's exit...

• Portnoy's exit...
    December 18, 2011 - 9:57pm

Dream Theater has proven that they will thrive even without Mike Portnoy. I have listened to ADTOE at least once every day since its release. It's been long enough that I have no reason to believe that my love of this album is primarily influenced by its newness. Instead, it truly is, for me, one of their best.

Mike Mangini is incredible to hear and watch. As far as drumming goes, I perceive no void. Moreover, MM's finesse is a welcome addition to DT's sound.

What about the non-drumming aspects, though, that MP brought, such as customization of setlists and the glorious Ytse Jam releases? Does this all go away with him?

Ted Bell's picture
on December 18, 2011 - 9:57pm

Dream Theater has proven that they will thrive even without Mike Portnoy. I have listened to ADTOE at least once every day since its release. It's been long enough that I have no reason to believe that my love of this album is primarily influenced by its newness. Instead, it truly is, for me, one of their best.

Mike Mangini is incredible to hear and watch. As far as drumming goes, I perceive no void. Moreover, MM's finesse is a welcome addition to DT's sound.

What about the non-drumming aspects, though, that MP brought, such as customization of setlists and the glorious Ytse Jam releases? Does this all go away with him?

Forum category: 
Daso's picture

The customization of setlists was not around during the US leg of the tour, because, according to the band, it helps them improve the performance to play the same setlist or similar setlists every night, not only musically, but on the visuals that they have during shows.

The Ytse Jam releases are supposedly not gone, but since they don't have something to release right now, they haven't done so.

Jorge Armando's picture

Hope not. Portnoy is a legend and as such the memories will always stay. It is sad to have to move on on both the guys and the fans, but I agree, Mangini brings a freshness to the band that is just undeniable and amazingly contagious. I will always miss Mike, but I love the new Mike!!!