Skip directly to content

San Francisco 09.24

• San Francisco 09.24
    September 25, 2011 - 8:30am

For you that where there tonight, let me know what you think. For me it was the best Dream Theater show that I have seen live. They were loose and just enjoying and rocking the show. This is my opinion only. People that attended please feel free and rate the show. For you that are waiting to see them, be prepared to be blown away.....DT you guys ROCK!!!

5150k9's picture
on September 25, 2011 - 8:30am

For you that where there tonight, let me know what you think. For me it was the best Dream Theater show that I have seen live. They were loose and just enjoying and rocking the show. This is my opinion only. People that attended please feel free and rate the show. For you that are waiting to see them, be prepared to be blown away.....DT you guys ROCK!!!

Forum category: 
lonestarDTF's picture

Absolutly a fantastic show. Beneath the Surface froze my soul in place. Great job guys, can't wait for you to come back to the Bay Area again.

DTBiggestFan's picture

Only because I have been following what they played while in Europe did I expect the set list they played Saturday night. It's a well rounded set list but a little disappointing even though I considered the show to be excellent. I was really hoping that they were going to play at least one of the following songs:

1. Pull Me Under
2. The Count of Tuscany
3. Metropolis 1
4. Learning To Live
5. As I Am
6. In The Name of God

While I was disappointed that they didn't play any of these songs, I expected this since they had to play most of their new release. I'm shocked they didn't play This Is The Life and would have preferred that one over Outcry. I am very grateful that they didn't split with Mike's leaving and that they chose Mike Mangini as a replacement who I have been a big fan of from playing with Steve Vai so over all I'm very happy that they have not only release a well crafted, original album but especially starting their US tour in SF. Thanks a lot guys. BTW, if you are with DT and are reading this, please play two encores instead of one. Oh yeah, and please play something off of Falling into Infinity, say Peruvian Skies? Your fans deseve this much. See you on your next tour.

Forever a fan

JamesEwt's picture

I am very happy with the success of the new record for these guys. No other band in the world is more deserving, IMO.
Regarding set lists - I really want to see Breaking all Illusions, as long as it doesnt call for cutting Bridges in the Sky, or the Ytse Jam.

This tour will mark DT shows 10 thru 13 for me, and each show is different. I think the best show I've seen was BCSL at Ruth Eckert hall. The set list included some of my all time favorites including One Last Time, Hollow Years, Solitary Shell. That coupled withthe acoustics of that venue was just over the top.

For those that are going to Boston, Morristown, NYC or Clearwater, look for the dude in the Dream Theater FEZ. That's me.
:)

BigBunny's picture

[quote=lak89][quote=BigBunny]can someone please tell me what "6.The Ytse Jam" means *blush*[/quote]

When the band just formed back in 1985, they were called Majesty, and Ytse Jam is that name spelt backwards :)[/quote]

ohh, i knew they were called Majesty... it seems i'm not too good at picking things up that are spelt backwards ;)

lak89's picture

[quote=BigBunny]can someone please tell me what "6.The Ytse Jam" means *blush*[/quote]

When the band just formed back in 1985, they were called Majesty, and Ytse Jam is that name spelt backwards :)

BigBunny's picture

can someone please tell me what "6.The Ytse Jam" means *blush*

bloodtoes's picture

So evidently your voices were heard. I just got back from the Los Angeles show.. the set list was similar but different:

http://www.setlist.fm/setlist/dream-theater/2011/nokia-theatre-la-live-l...

Before "Caught in a Web," which they played in place of Forsaken, James talked to the audience saying he was reading the boards and had read some comments about the set list from last night. "So we're going to change it up a bit. Here's something from Awake."

The last song before the Encore was Breaking All Illusions, and the Encore was Pull Me Under.

I hope they're doing this throughout the tour, changing it up a little.. giving each city its own flavour. I've posted my thoughts on the LA show itself in a separate thread. :) In one word, though: wow.

Sabian's picture

[quote=drop2d]Also, for anyone who was there, did JP play Silent Man with an acoustic?[/quote]

Yes....he and James sat on stools in front of the stage. This was the best I have seen the band....very relaxed, even JLB interacted and joked with the crowd more this one night than I have seen him in all the other shows combined that I've attended. After the second song, the entire theater gave the band a standing ovation.....I have never seen that happen so spontaneously, it was a great moment. Also before the acoustic portion, the crowd began to chant "Mike Mangini, Mike Mangini"....very cool and deserved. Regarding the drum solo....it fit, especially since it was the lead-in to YtseJam. Why not let MM shake off any cobwebs and let his hair down a little? It was nice to have a drum solo instead of another keyboard jam. And unless they can toss out a 4 minute song, not sure what it took away? I don't recall seeing complaints regarding any JP guitar solos? Don't worry about the setlist....there's not one that will make everybody happy, but when you see the band live, it's not just the music, it's the attitude and energy that takes over and will make it one of the best DT shows you will see. I liked seeing songs I haven't seen played live before, and Under A Glass Moon was just fine for an encore. I know that the Warfield are VERY strict regarding shutting things down on time, and a drawn out production would have pushed it....I personally would like to see them drop Trivium and take the extra time to make it "An Evening With".....maybe in the future? And as always, there's no better people than DT fans. Met some great new friends, the time in line flew past. Just an awesome time overall....as usual, thanks DT!

Frunobulax's picture

Hey!! Get your fuckin' asses to the southwest; specifically, Las Vegas. Love the new album! Frunobulax

zedsdead's picture

@drop2d: They've addressed this several times in various interviews. They said they may switch out a song or two...but overall they are going to be more focused on perfecting a static set. The MP rotations every night are gone.

solitaryshell's picture

I tend to agree on the encore mightyduck. UAGM does not seem to be a solid ending of the show. I like the song but not for a single song encore. It seems to be getting a lot of mileage though, they opened the Moscow (I think) show in July with this number. Now if they tack on Breaking all Illusions after it then that seems to be more balanced. I'll be at the SLC show Friday, we'll see what happens. I did correctly predict that Bridges in the Sky would open though, thrilled to see that. And I'm also stoked that The Great Debate made the set. Woohoo.

drop2d's picture

[quote=zedsdead]I agree...the setlist is overall great, but UAGM as an encore seems like an odd choice. Should have been Learning to Live like it was for many of the festival dates.

I'm sure DT will play Far From Heaven/Braking All Illusions, along with Lost Not Forgotten and This Is The Life. [B]Now that they are not rotating set lists[/B], they likely are saving this for the next leg of the tour.[/quote]

How do we know they won't change up the set lists? I know that Jordan mentioned something about not changing anything during the summer but that was just to get the band acclimated to playing again and with a new drummer. I figured moving forward, they would go back to switching up a few songs here and there..

Also, for anyone who was there, did JP play Silent Man with an acoustic?

mchlhahn's picture

My girlfriend and I attended the show last night on the 24th of September. We were blown away! Firstly, Mike Mangini's integration into the band is seamless. His characteristic enthusiasm for music, drumming and being a part of Dream Theater was ever-apparent. Mangini's drumming is sensational, and his contribution to the DT sound sets him apart from that of Portnoy's. It seems he has respectfully distanced himself from Portnoy's sound (as can be heard on DT's new album), where he is less concerned (but highly capable) with recreating Portnoy's drumming and is instead enabling the band to make progress.

The band's stage presence was not electrifying, as it really never is - but for good reason. Their highly technical playing, honest devotion to their instruments and to each other, and disciplined disposition create the presence of Dream Theater. I felt that each member played beautifully, absolutely beautifully.

The set list was fantastic. It's always a joy to have less-popularized songs brought to the forefront of the band's musical arsenal (one fantastically unexpected song was "The Great Debate"). The overall tone of the set list and new album is one of beguiling controversy - and I don't mean this in a bad way - I mean to say that DT's current thematic emphasis revolves around issues of adversity. I overheard some people next to me who were bored by some of the "softer" songs the band decided to play, but let us respect this idea; the band are continuing to chart unfettered territory, and as they have always been able to do, they continue to arouse our suspicions and tickle us with their highly-intelligent music. We should be so lucky to enjoy such thought-provoking musicians and the music they create.

There really isn't another band like Dream Theater.

Thanks DT, congratulations on your new album and new tour! Welcome, Mike Mangini, to the family!

Jedizen07's picture

Didn't see the show but I am happy they are playing enough of the new album. Hope all is well!

brash47's picture

I was fine with the setlist. Any time I get to see DT play anything live is a treat!

After the show, I was able to hang out at the tour van for awhile with some other dedicated fans. Around 1230-0100 AM, the guys came out. They walked straight to the bus and started to get on! For a moment, we thought we had waited in vain. But then, James LaBrie stopped, looked at us put his hand over his face and ran to the bus door!

He stopped there and said, "Don't worry guys, we're all coming back out." True to his word, 2 minutes later, Jordan Rudess and John Myung came out. They took pictures, signed autographs, and spoke with all of us for quite awhile. James came out and did the same. Then, it seemed out of nowhere, Mike Mangini was standing with all of us. He was really friendly and seemed so happy that the fans had hung out for so long after the show. After awhile, of course they all loaded back on the bus, but it was really cool to meet the guys (after following them since the late 80's).

About 15 minutes after they got on the bus, John Petrucci finally came out of the theater. He spent quite awhile with us also.

I must say, that after hearing all the great things about the guys in this band over the years, it was great to finally just talk to these guys. They are honestly the nicest warm hearted guys I have met in years of going to numerous music shows, motorcycle races, and other events with big names.

HUGE thumbs up on the show. It's great to have the guys back!

brash

zedsdead's picture

I agree...the setlist is overall great, but UAGM as an encore seems like an odd choice. Should have been Learning to Live like it was for many of the festival dates.

I'm sure DT will play Far From Heaven/Braking All Illusions, along with Lost Not Forgotten and This Is The Life. Now that they are not rotating set lists, they likely are saving this for the next leg of the tour.

mightyduck's picture

From Setlist.fm

1.Bridges in the Sky
2.These Walls
3.Build Me Up, Break Me Down
4.Endless Sacrifice
5.Drum Solo
6.The Ytse Jam
7.The Silent Man
8.Beneath the Surface
9.The Great Debate
10.On the Backs of Angels
11.Forsaken
12.Through My Words
13.Fatal Tragedy
14.Outcry
Encore:
15.Under a Glass Moon

If that is really the case, well I`ve got mixed feelings regarding this setlist. Some of the best songs from the ADTOE are there which is good, except Breaking all Illusions. HoweverI would have put This is the life instead of Beneath the surface if you`re to play a mellower song.

The drum solo is just a waste of song time. We don`t need that to recognize MM is a fantastic drummer. If the guys chose him to replace MP then I`m pretty sure the guy is awesome, no need for a drum solo to prove their point.

Under a Glass Moon for the only encore is where I have a problem. They usually end their show with a bang, a long epic song (In the Name of God, Count of Tuscanny, Learning to Live or something in that vein). For me UAGM is a very good song but not an epic one to end a Dream Theater concert.

I`ll be seeing them in Montréal in a few weeks and maybe / hopefully my views will change after the show, but as of right now I`d give it a 6.5 for originality, performance I`m sure is a solid 10...

Again this post is based on what was posted as yesterday`s setlist.

chiefsdawg's picture

so what was the playlist for san fran?

sixxstring54's picture

Excellent concert. Mr.Myungs sound needs to be tweeked at the next concert though, it wasn't clear enough to distinguish the notes. Hearing the great debate live was more then I hoped for. Thankyou DREAMTHEATER.
Mike Mangini is incredilble, I think the band has an angel over their shoulders to have picked up such a good drummer.
I wish I could see it again tonight!!!!!!!