Skip directly to content

Setlist

• Setlist
    April 22, 2012 - 8:06pm

I am one of your biggest fans but I wonder with all respect, out of all the great music you have why you have to choose songs like: "6:00" "Surrounded" "On the backs of the angels" "Pull me under" and "As I am" ? All the songs I mentioned are great songs but not something as a fan wants to hear in a live concert. I can write name of at least 10 songs that I am sure fans would love to hear in live better than the ones i mentioned above, such as: Lost Not Forgotten, This Is The Life, Fatal Tragedy, Beyond this life, The dying soul, In The Name of God, The Count Of Tuscany, sacrificed Sons, Octavarium , Repentance and many more......
    After playing "Breaking All Illusions" which is the Greatest song ever (my opinion), its really hard to close a show with something else.

Mahavishnu's picture
on April 22, 2012 - 8:06pm

I am one of your biggest fans but I wonder with all respect, out of all the great music you have why you have to choose songs like: "6:00" "Surrounded" "On the backs of the angels" "Pull me under" and "As I am" ? All the songs I mentioned are great songs but not something as a fan wants to hear in a live concert. I can write name of at least 10 songs that I am sure fans would love to hear in live better than the ones i mentioned above, such as: Lost Not Forgotten, This Is The Life, Fatal Tragedy, Beyond this life, The dying soul, In The Name of God, The Count Of Tuscany, sacrificed Sons, Octavarium , Repentance and many more......
After playing "Breaking All Illusions" which is the Greatest song ever (my opinion), its really hard to close a show with something else.

Forum category: 
DexterTheater's picture

I get what you mean.
Im from Argentina, and I think their actual setlist is really great.
But I wish I could hear Home, Stream of Conciusness, The Dance of Eternity, In the name of god...
And I'm MORE THAN AGREE than after Breaking All Illussions... I wanna go deaf.

Thomas_R's picture

From what I've seen of them, DT always try to play a little bit of every "flavour" from their back-catalogue. With the exception of Portnoy's rotational-setlists - it looks like they're meticulous with their choice of songs and trying to play something for every individual fan (not to mention a large portion must be dedicated to promoting their newest album!)

waynesfishing1's picture

As a fan since 92 love all of the music saw them in 92 on images tour fan ever since. My favorites are pull me under rite of passage in the name of god. Those are top 3. Then everthing else follows. Going to see them in June 25 show in Cin. Ohio can't wait cheers!!!

ChickenCoop213's picture

YEAH! Seriously i wish they would play The Count of Tuscany most of all,A Rite of Passage, This is The life, lines in the sand, Another Day,Panic Attack, and In The Presence of Enemies part 1!!!!! really hoep they play at least one of these..

comment's picture

[quote=Mahavishnu]I am one of your biggest fans but I wonder with all respect, out of all the great music you have why you have to choose songs like: "6:00" "Surrounded" "On the backs of the angels" "Pull me under" and "As I am" ? All the songs I mentioned are great songs but not something as a fan wants to hear in a live concert. I can write name of at least 10 songs that I am sure fans would love to hear in live better than the ones i mentioned above, such as: Lost Not Forgotten, This Is The Life, Fatal Tragedy, Beyond this life, The dying soul, In The Name of God, The Count Of Tuscany, sacrificed Sons, Octavarium , Repentance and many more......
After playing "Breaking All Illusions" which is the Greatest song ever (my opinion), its really hard to close a show with something else.[/quote]

:o

That's an interesting mix you wrote. With a few exceptions, I think I could see your point of view as a long time fan. What other songs were in your set list and what did they close with?

With all due respect, I think if I were their biggest fan I would enjoy their amazing catalog and love hearing them play live..period. Personally, I would be thankful that they won a Grammy Nomination for a great new song and be happy that newer fans would get a chance to appreciate their other great songs. Not to mention, PMU" is their greatest hit and this year it's 20 years old, I'd expect to hear that.

I'm sorry to hear your expectations weren't met buddy, but I can't see me ever thinking that way in light of how majestic their catalog is. And I don't consider myself their biggest fan (12 years). I mean I just recently listened to WDADU and right now I'm loving Falling Into Infinity more then anything else. I can't believe how long it took me to visit their back catalog. Honestly, the songs you've mentioned I've grown to like more as time's gone by. I guess I'm a bigger fan I thought.

Cheers!

;)

MikeSic's picture

You don't want to hear 6:00, As I Am and Pull Me Under? Ok, I wouldn't miss Pull Me Under so much, but As I Am is a great tune, as well as 6:00!!!

What songs did you want to hear?

DT usually plays over 2 hours of wall to wall music, so I'm usually fairly satisfied with the set list. Their tradition of playing their entire newest album is getting tougher to live with now that their in the double-digits.

Psygnosis99's picture

I think the setlists are great. As a fan I love hearing them play any of their songs. Much better than when Portnoy had them play music from other bands. They are the greatest band musically and technically of our time, not entertaining to hear them play other's music.