Skip directly to content

Similar bands?

• Similar bands?
    April 30, 2012 - 6:04pm

I'm just curious as to what other bands/artists you guys like? If you're anything like me after you discovered Dream Theater and bought all their albums you wanted more, leading you to go searching for similar bands.

dtguitarfan's picture
on April 30, 2012 - 6:04pm

I'm just curious as to what other bands/artists you guys like? If you're anything like me after you discovered Dream Theater and bought all their albums you wanted more, leading you to go searching for similar bands.

Forum category: 
gargantouas's picture

Guys you should check out a band called Cea Serin....their first album "Where Memories Combine" was just a masterpiece

Constant motion2345's picture

it would be pt,tool,osi,and rush for me

Imonkeyman's picture

I know some of you mentioned the band Circus Maximus, but what about:

Above Symmetry
Arch/Matheos
Bad Salad
The Deadstation (free download available at: (http://thedeadstation.bandcamp.com/)
Harmony
The Ralph (free download available at: (http://theralph.bandcamp.com/album/fragments-ep)
Seventh Wonder

Or one that I haven't seen mentioned at all.......Tim Donahue: Madmen & Sinners (feat. James LaBrie on vocals)

dtguitarfan's picture

ohgar - that's a load of bs. YOU personally may not want to "waste your time" on similar bands. But EVERY band has influences, EVEN DREAM THEATER! Just because a band has influences doesn't mean they're not worth listening to.

ohgar's picture

There are tons of bands that are derivative of Dream Theater but you shouldn't waste your time with them. Seek out bands that do things no one else does.

Tapring's picture

My tastes are pretty diverse. Among my favorite bands are Rush, Journey, Fates Warning, Queen, Supertramp, Boston, Yes, Abba, Bob Marley, The Cars, 38 Special, Allan Holdsworth, Enya, Pantera, Metallica, Lady Gaga, Maroon 5, Kelly Clarkson, 311, Simon & Garfunkel, Tom Petty, Johnny Cash, Dwight Yoakam, and Mozart.

Dream Theater is #1 though. :)

InfectiouslyPerverted's picture

[quote=JeffAsIAm]While I do enjoy all of the bands listed, and yes the Peter Gabriel Genesis was very cool indeed, no one does what DT does. Few bands have the level of talent in every member that DT does. Rush and Yes and Dixie Dregs are some of the exceptions. ( Chicago and Earth Wind and Fire also, but completely different style of music) What ever band you are, every one in it must be at the top of their game to get to do what the best ones do. This is what makes DT such a treat.[/quote]

I totally agree!!

The brother recently had me listen to a band called Haken. Wow, they really sound so much like DT musically, not so much vocally though. "Imitation is the sincerest form of flattery??"

I'm a huge fan of Extreme, too. I've been an Extreme fan longer than I've been a DT fan but DT is at the top. DT and Extreme are my top 2 favorite bands. I also like Shinedown. Yeah, I know they're mainstream, but I think Brent Smith has an amazing voice. Alot of bands touring this summer, alot which the sis and I have already seen, so also due to finances, we decided to keep our concert-going to a minimum this summer, so DT, Extreme(if they could ever get a US tour going!!!) and Shinedown would be the 3 bands that I would make the effort to go see.

cviens's picture

Well of course there's solo stuff by DT members as well as other projects they've been in:
Liquid Tension/Trio Experiment
James LaBrie
John Petrucci
Jordan Ruddess
Transatlantic
Flying Colors

Then there's a variety of stuff I listen to. Everything from Fleetwood Mac to Slayer and beyond, but I'll keep this on the heavier side of things for some and the progressive side of things for others:
Iron Maiden
Judas Priest
Rush
Yes
Kansas
Deep Purple
Queen
King Crimson
Emerson, Lake, and Palmer
Metallica
Megadeth
Anthrax
Slayer
Queensryche
Dio
Symphony X
Iced Earth
Fates Warning
Arch/Matheos
Anubis Gate
Andromeda
Angra
Blind Guardian
Helloween
Mastodon
Opeth
Porcupine Tree
Sonata Arctica
Nightwish
Devin Townsend
Animals As Leaders
Arjen Anthony Lucassen's Ayreon
Avantasia
Edguy
Ozzy Osbourne
Motorhead
Volbeat
Joe Satriani
Steve Vai

Psygnosis99's picture

I'll add Porcupine Tree to the mix, love them.
Some random ones ...

Alan Parsons

Al Stewart

Andreas Vollenweider (invented electric harp)

David Arkenstone (tells fantasy stories with instrumental music)

Buckcherry (most generic band that I actually enjoy)

David Lanz (pianist)

Eric Johnson

Steve Vai

Satriani (last 3 are duh's)

Nevermore

All That Remains

Office of Strategic Intelligence (OSI)

Paul Gilbert

Sirenia

Tom Waits

Tool

JafTitan's picture

Some more to add that haven't mentioned, most of them more on the heavier side:
Between the Buried and Me
Mastodon
Darkwater
Protest the Hero
Today I Caught the Plague
Scale the Summit
Animals As Leaders

windseven's picture

present: Opeth

past: Frank Zappa, particularly the era '75-'78 with Terry Bozzio

Pyer's picture

Pink Floyd

RonnyKelly's picture

Most of the above as well as Spock's Beard which noone has mentioned yet!

JeffAsIAm's picture

While I do enjoy all of the bands listed, and yes the Peter Gabriel Genesis was very cool indeed, no one does what DT does. Few bands have the level of talent in every member that DT does. Rush and Yes and Dixie Dregs are some of the exceptions. ( Chicago and Earth Wind and Fire also, but completely different style of music) What ever band you are, every one in it must be at the top of their game to get to do what the best ones do. This is what makes DT such a treat.

dtguitarfan's picture

Dur, and of course (they toured with them):
Redemption

dtguitarfan's picture

Oops, forgot to mention:
Darkwater
Animals as Leaders
Pagan's Mind
Anubis Gate

There are plenty of others, but I think that covers my favoritest favorites.

dtguitarfan's picture

For me, DT led me to find these favorites eventually (I highly recommend these to any DT fan):
Seventh Wonder
Circus Maximus
Symphony X
Orphaned Land
Epica
The Flower Kings
Haken
Subsignal

DT was my gateway drug into Progressive Metal and Progressive rock. :-p

duchifat's picture

and what about the old Genesis?

comment's picture

I've listened to some of these before, but DT lead me to become a fan of most of these bands and appreciate them more.

Rush
Yes
LTE
The Jelly Jam
Transatlantic
Neal Morse
Flying Colors
Jelly Jam
James Labrie Band
Against The Wall
Tammy Scheffer
Project RNL